The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

britguy said:
I order everything as soon as it's up to take advantage of their pre-order price guarantee. If I waited closer to the date before ordering then I may miss that one day where everything drops to say 50% :eek:

That's really true. I'll probably have to see what series interest me and put in an order for them. I've noticed recently that the price for some of these sets seems to go down a bit after release, so that puts me off a little.

I don't think I have pre ordered as much as everyone else, but it's certainly the most I've pre-ordered in one go before. Personally I've pre-ordered all 3 Madoka movies and Tokyo Ghoul. I also caved and pre-ordered Love Live, but I may cancel and go to Anime Online if the Amazon price doesn't drop before it comes out as it's currently about £7 more expensive on Amazon. With all these releases, I reallly hope I can get a job soonish...

Preordered Sword Art Online 2 part 1, Dragonball Z Kai 1 & 2 and Madoka Magica 3 Rebellion on amazon for now.

If SAO 2 & Madoka Magica 3 don't drop in price by £10 or so before release I'll cancel them and if there's any manga uk problems with Kai (aka Manga UK's rubbish standards) then they'll be sent back as faulty for a refund.

Lutga said:
That reminds me of ADV's old Najica Blitz Tactics DVDs where the English VAs use the word 'retarded' quite a few times in the commentary track.
I don't know about Najica, but they actually had to cut part of the commentary for Angelic Layer for the same reason to get a lower rating.
Company chose to remove some uses of derogatory language referring to mental and physical disability for PG category in line with BBFC Guidelines. A 12 uncut was available to the company.
bbfc-retard.jpg

britguy said:
serpantino said:
Sword art online s2 bluray is £35 for 7 episodes? I can't justify paying that because I've never cared much about the kitsch that comes with collectors editions and that would total £140 on 1 season.
Isn't £35 is the RRP, this will likely get discounted to £25 on amazon and the like, and thus be in line with the "standard" editions released by Manga UK.
The RRP is actually £39.99.

Shiroi Hane said:
britguy said:
serpantino said:
Sword art online s2 bluray is £35 for 7 episodes? I can't justify paying that because I've never cared much about the kitsch that comes with collectors editions and that would total £140 on 1 season.
Isn't £35 is the RRP, this will likely get discounted to £25 on amazon and the like, and thus be in line with the "standard" editions released by Manga UK.
The RRP is actually £39.99.

That'll still go down to £30 so only five quid more expensive than the standard ones from manga were and this'll come with an artbox and whatever else. I can't argue at that.

I pre-ordered a bunch of the new things, will most likely cancel at least some of them. I'm interested to see what'll happen with the Manga releases, I had pretty much given up on them and it'll be a shame if they keep making bad releases (especially the Madoka and Raildex stuff). I guess I'm still a little confused about the Manga/Animatsu situation as well, I haven't noticed any negative comments about the Gatchaman Crowds release so I hope that's a good sign anyway.

I'm probably rubbish at spotting problems but I didn't see anything wrong when I watched gatchaman. Minor annoyance on the disks was there was no "disk 1" / "disk 2" which kind of leaves it up to the will of the blu-ray disk ordering gods as to which disk you insert. But even there I could be wrong and the numbers may actually be on there and I'm just being blind.

Dannielle said:
Wings Of Honneamise Collectors Edition is sold out on Anime Limited's own shop : http://www.alltheanime.com/products/win ... 1170810452

Could be they have no stock in but thought I'd mention it just in case the remaining stock elsewhere is low for the set & some members here who want it haven't picked it up yet.

Will appear as being in stock now :)
Just had adjust something in our shop site, all is well now.

msgeek said:
I'm probably rubbish at spotting problems but I didn't see anything wrong when I watched gatchaman. Minor annoyance on the disks was there was no "disk 1" / "disk 2" which kind of leaves it up to the will of the blu-ray disk ordering gods as to which disk you insert. But even there I could be wrong and the numbers may actually be on there and I'm just being blind.

This is one of my biggest peeves with boxsets and it's something so small. For example, when I bought my Trigun set used, all the discs weren't labeled and the previous owner managed to have the disks in the wrong order, so I had to go through and re order them. Very small but quite annoying.

IncendiaryLemon said:
This is one of my biggest peeves with boxsets and it's something so small. For example, when I bought my Trigun set used, all the discs weren't labeled and the previous owner managed to have the disks in the wrong order, so I had to go through and re order them. Very small but quite annoying.
Huh, I hadn't noticed the Trigun discs weren't numbered (or more likely, I had forgotten). The codes seem to be in order so I guess you can go by those but it's not as easy as a handy number at the side. I wonder if anyone watched them out of order and thought it was a Pulp Fiction/Hidamari Sketch type situation. That might be an interesting way to watch Trigun actually.

Jeremy_Graves said:
Will appear as being in stock now :)
Just had adjust something in our shop site, all is well now.
Probably not the place to mention it but if I'm posting here anyway I might as well try to be efficient (maybe not by avoiding making pointless aside comments with pointless asides to those but still). Right, the point was I was wondering if there's a button or filter to see your deal of the month (I assume you still have those) because I can't see one.

We all thought the reason Accel World Complete Blu Ray Collection wasn't announced at the same time as the DVD version was due to a Japanese company possibly putting a block on it ..nope, It didn't sell well enough on BD to warrant a complete set on that format : https://twitter.com/MVM_UK/status/603479924838670337

I always thought complete collections were guaranteed (if the Japanese companies allowed a complete set that is), a matter of just placing the Blu's into a different case then slowly phasing out the half sets..learn something new everyday.

That's sad, though the fact the information was revealed in a discussion of how someone didn't want to support a UK BD release because of two cases being less convenient than one irrespective of cost is probably illuminating. If BD buyers are going to be so picky when it's been said time and time again how difficult it is to make the format profitable here, that's why we can't have nice things.

It's a pity such a well-regarded show couldn't connect with the BD market here. I guess it looks generic to people who are judging it on cover art alone, and having no stream can't have helped spread awareness back when it was on the air.

R

Yeah, the main character art alone is rather off putting, and the covers for accel world were rather lacking imo. I did however get the show eventually, and rather enjoyed it!

It's one of the traits I think MVM seem to always have, poor designs/packaging (though I believe they have improved??), and it's part of the reason why I have a very low amount of MVM titles in my collection,

If the sales of Accel World were too low for them, then that means we're unlikely to see BD complete collections of any of MVMs titles except absolute top drawer stuff like the Fate series and Monogatari, as I'm pretty sure Accel World was still one of their better sellers last year.

Fair enough, I suppose people can still pick up the two individual BR volumes, and the collected editions are more for casual consumers who don't mind waiting, but still, it sends out a depressing message about both BR adoption by the public, and about the willingness/cost of companies to produce them.

Today in "Things that will end up being completely awful but I'll still end up enjoying anyway"

Deadline said:

Paramount, Mary Parent To Turn ‘Beyblade’ Into Live Action Feature

beyblade_logo.png

EXCLUSIVE: After turning the Hasbro toys Transformers and G.I. Joe into hit feature franchises, Paramount Pictures will try again with Beyblade. The studio has acquired rights to turn Beyblade into a live action feature that will be produced by Mary Parent through her Disruption Entertainment banner. Beyblade is a line of customizable toys modeled after traditional Japanese fighting tops, developed and manufactured by Takaratomy, the creator of Transformers. The toys have been perennial strong sellers around the world, and previously spawned multiple TV series, animated features and video games in markets around the world. The toys have generated $2.5 billion in revenue.

The toys originated in Japan and were licensed to Hasbro in 2001. The toyline got a second wind in 2009 when a second generation called Metal Fusion became a big worldwide seller, and a new generation of the Beyblades toys will be launched in 2017.

I thought it might be a little late for them to be making a Beyblade movie but if they're launching a new line of toys then I guess it makes sense. I hope it isn't awful but I don't have high hopes.

For what it's worth, I'd have probably watched Accel World if one of the streaming companies had picked it up, but it's not something I particularly want to own.

Back