The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

Osamu Kobayashi (director of BECK: Mongolian Chop Squad and Paradise Kiss, episode director for Gurren Lagann and Dororo) has passed away from cancer at age 57. Truly one of the most unique creators in anime and a devastating loss for the industry. Rest in peace king

I noticed his work for Gurren Lagann. I looked it up, given that it is my favourite anime and I'm currently taking part in the AUKN simulwatch of the series. Sadly, it turned out that he directed episode 4, widely considered to be the worst episode in the series. It was the episode which resulted in the animation director Takami Akai being fired because of his reaction to people's criticism of the episode.

I noticed his work for Gurren Lagann. I looked it up, given that it is my favourite anime and I'm currently taking part in the AUKN simulwatch of the series. Sadly, it turned out that he directed episode 4, widely considered to be the worst episode in the series. It was the episode which resulted in the animation director Takami Akai being fired because of his reaction to people's criticism of the episode.
Yeah there was a similar reaction to his episode of Dororo. It's such a shame since both are fantastic episodes and yet a lot of viewers don't take too well to a change in animation style. Neither episode had bad art but I can understand that it'd be a bit jarring for some people. Would be nice if viewers were more open to studios experimenting with their series instead of restricting themselves.

kinda annoyed at the quints movie, i've been waiting just over 2 years to watch the 3 sinners of the system movies but it all seems to be radio silence on it anywhere in english so i fear the same thing will happen in this case too

kinda annoyed at the quints movie, i've been waiting just over 2 years to watch the 3 sinners of the system movies but it all seems to be radio silence on it anywhere in english so i fear the same thing will happen in this case too
With the Quintuplets series being licensed by Crunchyroll I think it's more likely for them to stream it at some point. They've uploaded quite a few movies for series such as Saga of Tanya the Evil, Bungo Stray Dogs, Given, Re:Zero, Goblin Slayer and Konosuba to name a few. I doubt they'll skip out on this one.

The question I wonder is whether Funimation would step in a for home release like they did for the Goblin Slayer movie. Whether they will I guess depends on whether they think it's commercially viable. Though that potential Sony acquisition of Crunchyroll might make it easier (though that's very speculative to say the least).

Last edited:
With the Quintuplets series being licensed by Crunchyroll I think it's more likely for them to stream it at some point. They've uploaded quite a few movies for series such as Saga of Tanya the Evil, Bungo Stray Dogs, Given, Re:Zero, Goblin Slayer and Konosuba to name a few. I doubt they'll skip out on this one.
with movies i tend to give streaming a miss and take full advantage of them being in atleast 5.1 on blu-ray

Indication that Anime Limited will be releasing The Relative Worlds to the UK?

Everything else in their new Movie Night to the UK offering looks to be an AL title.

A friendly reminder for PS users (First time subscribers only)

Funimation

Enjoy an extended free trial as a new subscriber to the anime streaming service on PS4™ and PS5™.

Catch up on your favourite anime series including My Hero Academia, Naruto, Attack on Titan and Fairy Tail, all on Funimation. Enjoy a huge library of subs and dubs ad-free with an extended trial for new users, available from 26 March 3am GMT – 23 April 07:59am BST.

More information

Just been sent a press release: "Demon Slayer -Kimetsu no Yaiba- The Movie: Mugen Train" coming to UK cinemas on 26th May 2021, and will be coming to Ireland too. There will be dub and sub screenings.

Just been sent a press release: "Demon Slayer -Kimetsu no Yaiba- The Movie: Mugen Train" coming to UK cinemas on 26th May 2021, and will be coming to Ireland too. There will be dub and sub screenings.

Man, I'm going have to retrain myself to click on Funimation e-mails now. I've been ignoring them by habit, as till now, they've only come from their streaming service, which I once signed up for, and then promptly forgot about.

In out of nowhere news, Restaurant to Another World is getting a second anime season. The first season aired a few years ago and was co-produced by Crunchyroll.

I think I checked out the first episode of that series, but thought it didn't seem like it would be as good as Kakuriyo Bed & Breakfast For Spirits, which I really enjoyed. I need to go back and watch a bit more, I guess. I really would love a second season of Kakuriyo.

Back