The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

I haven't watched it, but my understanding is that, if you know how to play chess, you pretty much know how to play shogi. Aside from a few extra pieces that move in different ways, everything else is mostly the same.

I think. I await someone who will no doubt correct me. :p

I haven't watched it, but my understanding is that, if you know how to play chess, you pretty much know how to play shogi. Aside from a few extra pieces that move in different ways, everything else is mostly the same.

I think. I await someone who will no doubt correct me. :p

I mean, I don't know how to play Chess either...

I have no idea how to play Shogi or Chess so I'd definitely say an understanding of Shogi isn't needed for enjoyment. When the show becomes Shogi intensive the drama behind the games & the visuals should pull you along (as they do me, it's SHAFT afterall).
It is more than just Shogi (even if Shogi is the basis for how and why certain things happened/happen) so don't worry too much :) The three sister's are especially fantastic.

I think it's a character show rather than a shogi show. The same way you don't actually have to know how to play a guitar to watch K-On!! - there are even segments in March which explain the game to the viewers which wouldn't be so interesting if everyone was already expected to be an expert.

R

It's probably as good as my grasp on the English language :p
It's certainly an option if no one naps the license, so thank you for bringing that to my attention :)

The first reviews of the French volumes are very positive! (And Amazon has them too.) Vive la France! :)

I think it's a character show rather than a shogi show. The same way you don't actually have to know how to play a guitar to watch K-On!! - there are even segments in March which explain the game to the viewers which wouldn't be so interesting if everyone was already expected to be an expert.

R

Ahh, you're so good at explaining these matters! Nail on the head.

The first reviews of the French volumes are very positive! (And Amazon has them too.) Vive la France! :)

Fantastic. Think I might have to take my school books out of storage before long.

I think the only potential mark against the manga being licensed is the Shogi aspect, because I'd assume if you got the wrong volume it'd be more shogi focused than character and might lose people there (it certainly wouldn't bounce into the mass market well I'd assume)? I'd definitely like to see it licensed though, the anime has been good fun so far. :)

I think the only potential mark against the manga being licensed is the Shogi aspect, because I'd assume if you got the wrong volume it'd be more shogi focused than character and might lose people there (it certainly wouldn't bounce into the mass market well I'd assume)? I'd definitely like to see it licensed though, the anime has been good fun so far. :)
Honeslty any company worth their salt would press right though the shogi part and focus more on the mental health angle.

Both of these will air Summer 2017

Short Welcome to the Ballroom preview

& another that I reckon looks quite interesting, Kakegurui: Compulsive Gambler.

If the Netflix Death Note was an actual short series rather than a movie it might have had a chance, but as a movie it really doesn't have much hope of being a good version.

Back