The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

NormanicGrav said:
Just a slight correction regarding To Love Ru, it's the first season not the Darkness series that's arriving in March. Sentai have also confirmed it's sub-only for Blu-ray.
As in, they're rereleasing the first season on blu-ray?
Awesome.

Joshawott said:
As in, they're rereleasing the first season on blu-ray?
Awesome.
Yep, that's correct. The three known titles which Sentai plan to release in March are:
Mardock Scramble: The Third Exhaust
The Pet Girl of Sakurasou: Collection 2
To Love Ru: Season 1 Blu-ray

At least I've a few months to import the first two Mardock Scramble movies to replace my Kaze ones before the third lands, and I'll probably try TLR since I seem to hear so much about it.
I'm pretty sure Seasons 1 and 2 are meh upscales though.

I wonder if they'll have the ova's like the japanese blu-ray rerelease recently. If so i'd rebuy. Also I bloody hope Darkness gets released soon (and on blu-ray)

Two more Visual Novels are on Steam's Greenlight service; Narcissu 1st and 2nd.
We've seen a few attempts, some of them successful, to bring English translations of visual novels to the PC's Steam service, and here's the latest, with fan translation team Sekai Project looking to bring doujin visual novels Narcissu to the service.
This collection of two games, published in 2005 by group Stage-Nana and focusing on a pair of terminally ill characters who run away from their hospital on a "road trip" of sorts, has received an authorised translation into English by Sekai Project, who are now seeking to release both Narcissu 1st and 2nd for free (or as close to it as possible) to Steam users.

Steam Description:
Narcissu 1st and 2nd, the free indie visual novels from Japan, with over a million downloads worldwide is coming to Steam!

Summary of Narcissu 1st:
The hospital's 7th floor, the hospice. It was a place to simply wait for one's life to flicker out. A young man diagnosed with a terminal illness is transferred to that floor. There he meets another young patient, Setsumi.
Faced with choosing to die either at home or the hospital, the two slip out of the hospital and their long winter journey begins...

Summary of Narcissu 2nd:
Set a few years before the events of Narcissu 1st, when Setsumi was still just a regular outpatient at the hospital. One day, while going for a regular check up, she happens to meet Himeko, a former 7th floor helper and current resident of the 7th floor. They become friends and their summer story begins...

Steam edition features:
Updated translations from the original English translators.
Updated engine for better Mac/Linux support

SunlightHeart said:
I wonder if they'll have the ova's like the japanese blu-ray rerelease recently. If so i'd rebuy. Also I bloody hope Darkness gets released soon (and on blu-ray)

That'd be nice but wasn't the issue with the OAV's that they were linked to the Manga, and therefore had an additional hurdle to overcome in that Viz doesn't let anyone play with their toys. (whether they have any interest in releasing a title or related item or not)

I'm not sure I could re-buy for a subbed Blu-ray, the series was entertaining but if it's an upscale I think I'd rather look at re-buying some of Sentai's other titles that are coming with dubs.

Rosencrantz said:
SunlightHeart said:

That'd be nice but wasn't the issue with the OAV's that they were linked to the Manga, and therefore had an additional hurdle to overcome in that Viz doesn't let anyone play with their toys. (whether they have any interest in releasing a title or related item or not)

I'm not sure I could re-buy for a subbed Blu-ray, the series was entertaining but if it's an upscale I think I'd rather look at re-buying some of Sentai's other titles that are coming with dubs.
I'm pretty sure that out of Sentai's other announced re-releases, the only other title which is, well, half an upscale is Hidamari Sketch.
If I remember correctly some of the scenes are HD but others are upscales, and it constantly switches between them. The Japanese BDs for Maria Holic are 1080i if you are okay with interlaced stuff.

The really infuriating thing about the To Love Ru OVAs is that unlike other series', they are actually needed for the story. The first set of OVAs acts as a bridge between the first and second seasons, while the second set sets up Darkness.

I just wish Viz would grow a pair and release the manga. I can understand why they're shying away from Darkness, but the original should be fine. Or just let another company release them.

Joshawott said:
The really infuriating thing about the To Love Ru OVAs is that unlike other series', they are actually needed for the story.

That situation is similar to Ore no Imouto na Konnani Kawaii Wake ga Nai (Oreimo. for short) and The World God Only Knows.

NormanicGrav said:
Joshawott said:
The really infuriating thing about the To Love Ru OVAs is that unlike other series', they are actually needed for the story.

That situation is similar to Ore no Imouto na Konnani Kawaii Wake ga Nai (Oreimo. for short) and The World God Only Knows.
At least AniplexUSA managed to release the Oreimo OVAs. The World God Only Knows will be an interesting one though - have Sentai announced a license for the Goddesses yet?

Mangaranga said:
I'm pretty sure that out of Sentai's other announced re-releases, the only other title which is, well, half an upscale is Hidamari Sketch.
If I remember correctly some of the scenes are HD but others are upscales, and it constantly switches between them. The Japanese BDs for Maria Holic are 1080i if you are okay with interlaced stuff.

Exactly what I mean, most of the other Sentai re-release titles are actual HD plus dub. Seems like a better rebuy option if I do decide to rebuy is all.

The really infuriating thing about the To Love Ru OVAs is that unlike other series', they are actually needed for the story. The first set of OVAs acts as a bridge between the first and second seasons, while the second set sets up Darkness.

I just wish Viz would grow a pair and release the manga. I can understand why they're shying away from Darkness, but the original should be fine. Or just let another company release them.

Yep, was fairly odd to have extra characters and events that had happened without knowing what had actually happened.

I really don't know what's up with Viz these days, they used to have an Editors choice line for some more adult titles, but now it's like they are afraid to release anything that's a little risqué. I don't think Viz let anyone touch the titles they have rights too from what I can tell, and why would they, if it'd be profitable they could do it and why allow someone else to compete for shelf space if they didn't want to release a title.

And that's wakium f'ed. Without DTO KillLaKill (This is too good an excuse for Aniplex to not take with both hands to tell ALA to get) its a N64 with no Mario 64

ConanThe3rd said:
And that's wakium f'ed. Without DTO KillLaKill (This is too good an excuse for Aniplex to not take with both hands to tell ALA to get) its a N64 with no Mario 64
Were the previous eps of KLA available as download to own?

I'm not fussed with delays on Flamenco and KLK.

I've been having a look on Rightstuf to see what else would go OOP from them (usually once they announce it, every other shop usually won't have it), and I checked Closeout items and found these:
- Black Blood Brothers: Complete Series Blu-ray (& Complete Series DVD Viridian Collection)
- Casshern Sins: Part 1 and 2 Blu-ray (& Part 1 and 2 DVD) ~ A Complete Series Standard & SAVE is available.
- Devil May Cry: Complete Series Blu-ray (& Complete Series DVD) ~ Manga UK will still stock the BD & DVD versions.
- Eden of the East: Complete Series Blu-ray (& Complete Series DVD) ~ This is the version released in 2010.
- Escaflowne the Movie Blu-ray (& DVD) ~ Funimation have licensed the movie.
- Eureka Seven the Movie Blu-ray (& DVD) ~ Rumoured that Funimation have licensed the first season & movie. Manga UK will still stock the BD & DVD versions.
- Ga-Rei-Zero: Complete Series BD/DVD (& Complete Series Limited Edition BD/DVD) ~ This is the version released in 2011.
- Gunbuster the Movie Blu-ray
- Gunbuster vs. Diebuster: Aim for the Top! GATTAI!! Movie Blu-ray
- Gundam, Mobile Suit 00 Movie Blu-ray (& Blu-ray/DVD)
- Gurren Lagann Blu-ray Box Import (includes Sub-only movies and raw Parallel Works) ~ 1 stock left LOL. Anime Limited UK will release the show/movies/PW on BD & DVD.
- Haganai: I Don't Have Many Friends Season 1 Limited Edition BD/DVD
- Heroic Age Complete Series Blu-ray ~ SAVE is available.
- High School DxD Season 1 Limited Edition ~ Sold Out, but could get more stock. Most likely be going to Removed Items soon.
- K-On! Blu-ray Volumes 1, 2, 3 and 4 (& DVD Volumes 1, 2, 3 and 4 & Complete Set)
- Okami-san & Her Seven Companions Complete Series Limited Edition BD/DVD
- Puella Magi Madoka Magica Movies I/II Blu-ray Import (Standard & Limited Edition) ~ LE sold out.
- Rurouni Kenshin Movie Blu-ray Import
- Star Driver Part 1 & Part 2 Blu-ray

Well the Madman leak hasn't affected Crunchyroll at least, as it's gone up on schedule there in the US along with Flamenco.

Just Passing Through said:
And meanwhile Animax continues on its way with no fuss and no bother. Really liking Coppelion on that.

Other than having no release schedule, no communications, a site layout that requires you to be spoiled of the contents of an episode before you watch it (particularly if you want to see what series the episode is from), and uploading episodes several days later than the date mentioned under "original airdate", and counting down to "expiry" from said original airdate anyway, you mean?

Of course, they could always improve, but so far my opinion of Wakanim is a good deal better than that of Animax.

Back