The great Best Girl debate

I still can't decide on my favourite anime girl based on personality. This is tough...
Right, I'm gonna have to start by narrowing this down. I know who it's not...

Sawa Nakamura from The Flowers of Evil

What a horrible... terrifying... thought.

Right, I'm gonna have to start by narrowing this down. I know who it's not...

What a horrible... terrifying... thought.

I've already given my genuine one here based on real life preferences. I'll also list my one which I find to be a genuinely awesome character, who would be scary as hell in real life. :D

https://www.walldevil.com/wallpaper...ime-girls-senjougahara-hitagi-purple-hair.jpg
https://www.walldevil.com/wallpaper...ime-girls-senjougahara-hitagi-purple-hair.jpg
Hobbies include attacking/threatening boyfriend with cutting remarks and very sharp stationary, and kidnapping boyfriend and tying him up in an abandoned cram school to protect him from his messiah complex. :D These are fortunately counterbalanced by the most heart warming confession scene in all of anime (yes it is), an entire arc in which she teams up with a con man to save him from a snake god, and a scene in which she force feeds him chocolate. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3hcetXsSlM
Also Neil, in belated answer to that much earlier post (sorry, I didn't notice it at the time), my real life preference for Oono is because she comes across as very sincere and caring person who isn't just a collection of anime stereotypes (except in the last Genshiken series where they mess with her character). If you haven't seen Genshiken I would highly recommend it. It's top tier stuff (except Nidaime which is just alright).

Just saying, it can only be Stella Vermillion
82e78c18b8cab3332cc8c1c7c5cbbbfa365368aa_hq.gif

Hobbies include attacking/threatening boyfriend with cutting remarks and very sharp stationary
Oh my god, I just couldn't deal with Hitagi. I've never been able to understand the appeal of tsundere types, I'm afraid!

Also Neil, in belated answer to that much earlier post (sorry, I didn't notice it at the time), my real life preference for Oono is because she comes across as very sincere and caring person who isn't just a collection of anime stereotypes (except in the last Genshiken series where they mess with her character). If you haven't seen Genshiken I would highly recommend it. It's top tier stuff (except Nidaime which is just alright).
Nice. I'll add Genshiken to my 'Plan to watch' list. I like characters who feel convincing as individuals and aren't just a collection of recycled bits all copy-and-pasted together. :)

Speaking of which...
I still can't decide on my favourite anime girl based on personality. This is tough...
Okay, I've decided! Maybe.

Misaki Nakahara from Welcome to the NHK

What a sweet character and such a kind soul! Very much an individual, and very memorable; she really lingers in the mind despite the fact I haven't seen the show in ages.

But then there's also my K-On! favourite. Back in the day when I first heard about K-On!, I read about its characters and pretty much decided on paper "I guess my favourite character will be Mio, then." But I was in for a surprise when I actually watched the series. My actual favourite is...

Ritsu Tainaka, the life and soul of the show!

Another true one-off with her riotous sense of humour and boundless energy. I'm not sure I could keep up with her, though!

Two very different personalities. Both firm favourites.

Last edited:
Oh my god, I just couldn't deal with Hitagi. I've never been able to understand the appeal of tsundere types, I'm afraid!
Ehh, Senjougahara is not exactly a tsundere.

Okay, I've decided! Maybe.
Misaki Nakahara from Welcome to the NHK

What a sweet character and such a kind soul! Very much an individual, and very memorable; she really lingers in the mind as despite the fact I haven't seen the show in ages.

All I'll say on Misaki is that if you don't want your image of her shattered into a thousand tiny pieces, never read the manga. :D She's really scary in the manga.

What?!?! Dude, you've just blown my mind with that revelation. What do you mean she's scary in the manga?

The manga goes beyond the point where the anime ended and delves more into her and Satou's characters. In the manga, she is probably the most manipulative character I've ever seen. :D It utterly ruins that heartfelt moment at the end of the series for one thing.

The manga and the anime/light novel are different continuities though. Penned by the same author, but different stories after the bit where the anime ends. Just never read the manga and Misaki is wonderful. :D I have to admit I liked the manga more though. It was much, much darker. Satou, Misaki, and Yamazaki sink to such levels of depravity and despair in the manga that it makes the anime look tame. :D

Perhaps this is a useful life lesson, in a way, about how angelic girls are an unrealistic ideal and even the most sweet ones are likely to have a dark side deep down? :D

(My 'type' wears its dark side very much on the outside...)

R

Perhaps this is a useful life lesson, in a way, about how angelic girls are an unrealistic ideal and even the most sweet ones are likely to have a dark side deep down? :D
I feel like (sniff)... I feel like we've all (sniff) learnt something today (sniff).

[Starts crying again]

[Suddenly stops crying at the mention of something Haruhi-related]

Yay! I mentioned elsewhere here recently that, for me, Haruhi Suzumiya is the only likeably annoying character I've ever encountered in anything. I still feel for Kyon, though!

Back