The General Conversation Area

probably a long shot but can VLC read the m2ts files directly from the disc?

only other option i could suggest is either buying a PS3 slim (not super slim iirc those can't be hacked yet) and doing cfw on it for region free or buying a cheap sony blu-ray player from amazon global for i think £80 as i found the other day looking for someone that didn't want to bother with a PS3
VLC on Xbox at least lacks the encryption keys to playback Blu-ray. It can be made to play them on PC through heavy modification but that isn't an option on Xbox.

The idea of getting a PS3 has occured to me. I had a region switching CFW PS3 for a while but it was a fat model and eventually broke as they're prone to do. I'll almost certainly be going the PS3 route when I replace this player.

Ever since my multi region Blu-ray player died i have owned a slim NTSC ps3 for my region A Blu-ray needs, got it for around £50 iirc. I used my series x for everything that.
That's actually a really good idea. Getting an NTSC one would save me the hassle of having to find out if it's the right model/firmware for me to be able to mod it. Since all I want it for is the Blu-rays anyway.

That's actually a really good idea. Getting an NTSC one would save me the hassle of having to find out if it's the right model/firmware for me to be able to mod it. Since all I want it for is the Blu-rays anyway.

Yeah it does mean having multiple machines in use, but my media cabinet is big enough for my needs.

NTSC PS3 just uses a normal uk PS power cable that will cost a few quid, no Stepdown converters needed (unlike in the bad old days!)

It literally is just a Blu-ray player for me. Could even get a remote and forget about the controller.

NTSC PS3 just uses a normal uk PS power cable that will cost a few quid, no Stepdown converters needed (unlike in the bad old days!)

It literally is just a Blu-ray player for me. Could even get a remote and forget about the controller.
Yeah my broken one was a launch Japanese PS3 that could play three generations of consoles. Was an absolute beast when it was modded, until it finally broke. Keep meaning to fix it as a DIY project, but reballing the CPU is a very hard thing to do.

I use a remote on my Xbox One X since it's primarily a media box, so I'm sure I'd do the same for a PS3. Works really well.

It's nice that I feel the need to import so little these days though. I still want a new box to do it, but back in like 2012/13 the choice was often "import or don't get it at all" or "import or settle for DVD".

Last edited:
Edit: looks like VLC on Xbox can handle Blu-ray bitrates. That at least means I have a semi-convenient way to watch the several US Blu-rays I have before I get another player or fix this one. Although the preparation and the drive usage is a bit onerous so I'm not gonna leave myself without a dedicated player too long.
This makeshift solution works better than I expected honestly. There's some issues like if you skip around the video a lot on the Xbox VLC on a video with this kinda bitrate it can cause it to lose the video feed and be a black screen with audio. However, it works, and the video quality is not impacted as far as I can see. I at least have a way to play my US Blu-rays on a proper screen while I'm between dedicated players.IMG_20211224_131453.jpgIMG_20211224_130939.jpg

Yeah my broken one was a launch Japanese PS3 that could play three generations of consoles. Was an absolute beast when it was modded, until it finally broke.
That machine sounds bloody awesome, don't ever get rid of it!
Merry Christmas everybody for tomorrow :)
Likewise, a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year in advance to everyone!

I'm SO EXCITED for when my mum wakes up so I can give her her presents! I got her four things this year - a colour gradient jumper with pinks, reds and purples, a set of red pyjamas with white polar bears on them (these were both from a charity shop but practically new and unworn), a bigg heckin thicc giant bar of organic vegan soap that smells of rose and sandalwood (it's a nice pink colour), and a teatowel with a gorgeous design of a fox and her two cubs on it (I have a mug by the same designer that I bought years ago) 🥰 It's gonna be an awesome Christmas! :) 👍

Back