The General Conversation Area

I sleep with my phone all the time, it's got to the point that I can't sleep without it next to me, it's as if telling my brain "hey its bed time go to sleep" doesn't work anymore, but my brain is tricked if I have my phone on me, trust nobody not even yourself.
I don’t want to know what you do with said phone when you sleep with it. I’m keeping out of this.

I don’t want to know what you do with said phone when you sleep with it. I’m keeping out of this.
Your making it sound like they don't buy dinner first

177.jpg

Modern phones are so badly made. It's pure style over function. Having glass back & front is just a ridiculous idea and corning glass is highly overrated, everything's so closely sandwiched and glued together that there's really no genuine impact protection. Of course you can buy a bulky protective case but that defies the point and curved screens make protectors a nightmare to produce and fit.

I used to work on phones but nowadays they are way too much hassle. You can tell they're made for an early death.

Modern phones are so badly made. It's pure style over function. Having glass back & front is just a ridiculous idea and corning glass is highly overrated, everything's so closely sandwiched and glued together that there's really no genuine impact protection. Of course you can buy a bulky protective case but that defies the point and curved screens make protectors a nightmare to produce and fit.

I used to work on phones but nowadays they are way too much hassle. You can tell they're made for an early death.

I'll second that; I can barely get a grip on mine half the time it's so b****y thin (well in comparison to other types of phones). I've got massive hands as well (for a woman) and I'm cack-handed as hell...

I've got massive hands as well (for a woman) and I'm cack-handed as hell...
*puts the base of his palms together, fingers outward and is saddened that everyone is running around screaming facehugger!* I would say buy older phones for us for whom a handful is greedy, but phones for the last few years have had planned obsolescence built in.
we're all going to have to buy these Iphone x types and, for those of us who can successfully high five a bear, watch them slip through our giant grasp, fall to the floor and shatter into a million pieces

*puts the base of his palms together, fingers outward and is saddened that everyone is running around screaming facehugger!* I would say buy older phones for us for whom a handful is greedy, but phones for the last few years have had planned obsolescence built in.
we're all going to have to buy these Iphone x types and, for those of us who can successfully high five a bear, watch them slip through our giant grasp, fall to the floor and shatter into a million pieces

Yep, pretty much all this new fangled technology is anti-Aya; bulky old-skool phone it is next time XD

Oh I can totally high-five a bear, I did it only last week on my trip to the North Pole ;)

I'll second that; I can barely get a grip on mine half the time it's so b****y thin (well in comparison to other types of phones). I've got massive hands as well (for a woman) and I'm cack-handed as hell...

My partner's galaxy s7 had the internal screen crack 32 days after she bought it. No external damage at all. Neither the company she purchased it from nor Samsung would take any responsibility in pites of me insisting the burden of proof fell on them. They claimed that any screen cracking, internal or external, isn't covered (way to stand behind your product's quality).
It took me 9 months of messing about to finally get it replaced through the ombudsman and only then was it because I had enough technical knowledge to make a decent case and they couldn't counter it.

I was almost positive that it was the battery as they had issues then (though primarily the note 7) as all the early batteries amongst the 7 series were made in the same place. Of course I couldn't open it to prove that (I have since she won & sure enough the battery was blistered.)

They look fancy on the outside but the build is awful, no buffering materials to reduce an impact whatsoever, in fact a lot of it is just weak, thin, aluminium. I'd never buy Samsung again.

Not exactly sure how Samsung are in general with their customer service but I have had a pretty negative experience with Acer in the past. Apparently their laptop customer service help is second to none. Mobile phones on the other hand...

I'd never get a contract phone again anyway, more hassle than it's worth. I can understand why people do i.e for business and stuff, but for everyday use, I just don't need it. I hardly use mine as it is and it's a PAYG. I always end up with pretty much my full bundle before the next month rolls around...

Last edited by a moderator:
@~AyaMachi~ I'm the same. £10 credit lasts me 3-4 months.

I'm not sure about Acer. I've worked on plenty of their laptops in the past, they're not the easiest to work on but not the worst either. Generally the specs are very good for the price but the build quality is amongst the lowest to compensate, they clog fairly easily and the fans aren't much cop. That said, most consumer laptops are a pain to work on compared to business laptops which are usually fully modular (I used to work on IBM thinkpads & they were wonderful, even the power socket was modular & you didn't have to faff about getting to anything.)

@~AyaMachi~ I'm the same. £10 credit lasts me 3-4 months.

I'm not sure about Acer. I've worked on plenty of their laptops in the past, they're not the easiest to work on but not the worst either. Generally the specs are very good for the price but the build quality is amongst the lowest to compensate, they clog fairly easily and the fans aren't much cop. That said, most consumer laptops are a pain to work on compared to business laptops which are usually fully modular (I used to work on IBM thinkpads & they were wonderful, even the power socket was modular & you didn't have to faff about getting to anything.)

The last laptop I used was a Toshiba; it was a hand-me-down from my Mum when she got a new one. It was alright for what I needed it for (general internet usage). I'm on a desktop these days. I'm not really a "gadgety" person if I'm honest. A guy I worked with years ago was well into his gadgets; always going on about the latest thing and what it does. It's fair enough if you actually want thta stuff and you're going to use it but I do feel that much of it is gimmickery!

I dislike the (pointless, to my mind) drive to make phones thinner and thinner. Nice as my iPhone 7 is, I'm still baffled by the decision from the 6 onwards to make the camera - the most sensitive part of the back of the phone - protrude from the back so that the phone rests on it. That seems like the world's dumbest idea. I'd rather they'd have kept the entire phone the thickness of the camera lens and put a bigger battery in there, but then
planned obsolescence
because from the POV of the manufacturer if the camera breaks, great. You buy a new phone. The smaller capacity the battery, the worse battery life will get as it gets older. Great, you buy a new phone.

I dislike the (pointless, to my mind) drive to make phones thinner and thinner. Nice as my iPhone 7 is, I'm still baffled by the decision from the 6 onwards to make the camera - the most sensitive part of the back of the phone - protrude from the back so that the phone rests on it. That seems like the world's dumbest idea. I'd rather they'd have kept the entire phone the thickness of the camera lens and put a bigger battery in there, but then

because from the POV of the manufacturer if the camera breaks, great. You buy a new phone. The smaller capacity the battery, the worse battery life will get as it gets older. Great, you buy a new phone.

I think that's pretty much the aim of organisations like Apple; don't make if fixable, make it so that the only solution is to spend in excess of £700 on a new phone. I've never actually owned an iPhone of any sort, but I must admit if they get anythinner we won't be able to see them from the side XD I get that the cameras on them are usually (from what I've heard) pretty good, but it's a lot of money when it breaks and you have to renew it.

Pretty much the only android manufacturer I was well disposed towards and trusted was LG and that goodwill went out the window when my G4 (which was a good phone when it worked - removable battery, removable storage) just bricked itself due to a known flaw like, two months out of warranty. My iPhone 4 & 5 lived to be sold on and had good audio quality so it was back to Apple for me, because while they're far from perfect at least I know iPhones to be reliable and long-lived. And when you're not on a contract that's what you want, not to have to buy a new phone outright every year.

Pretty much the only android manufacturer I was well disposed towards and trusted was LG and that goodwill went out the window when my G4 (which was a good phone when it worked - removable battery, removable storage) just bricked itself due to a known flaw like, two months out of warranty. My iPhone 4 & 5 lived to be sold on and had good audio quality so it was back to Apple for me, because while they're far from perfect at least I know iPhones to be reliable and long-lived. And when you're not on a contract that's what you want, not to have to buy a new phone outright every year.

Fair play dude, if it works for you and all that! :)

I think I'm just a grumpy old luddite! XD

Back