The General Conversation Area

Is anyone else ghastly sick like me?
I've been full of a cold since Sunday and now its on my chest too. Last time I had a chesty cough like this, I had it for 5 weeks without being prescribed anything. 5 weeks of a permanent headache due to frequency of coughing and about 5 cough bottls consumed. Waaaaah. The one light at the end of the tunnel is that for god knows how long, I've always been sick over Christmas so I've never been able to taste Christmas dinner properly so hopefully since I'm sick now, I won't be then! :)

Zin5ki said:
Office Christmas parties continue to confound me. I err towards accepting that the consumption of alcohol may be pleasant for some, but the searing potency of neat liqueur quaffed from 'shot' glasses can, by looks of it, only be painful.

Much chagrin can be found in such festive gatherings. A lowlight last year being a colleague and friend of mine thinking that placing used party poppers in his eyes was a resplendent example of jolly humour.

At 32 years of age some would say that it was actually an example of another kind all together.

Ath said:
I only have the Season 1 blue brick, and I'm afraid it's Region 1 and 4 only. Not sure about the rest though.

I checked the Funimation website and pretty much these are stated to work on R2 players:

Dragon Ball Z - Orange Bricks
Dragon Ball Z - Rock the Dragon
Dragon Ball Z - All 13 Movies
Dragon Ball GT

Alas, a lot of the movies might not work either. I have all the steelbooks and starting from the Android 13/Bojack pack they're locked to 1/4 despite the packaging saying region 2 as well. They might have fixed that on later print runs though. The Orange and Green bricks are playable just fine on region 2 hardware.

This became a nuisance to me when I moved out for uni. Every DVD player I had at home was region free with the only locked device being my laptop. This was the only thing I took from home that could play DVDs so I was annoyed when I put the Bojack movie in and it didn't play! It has a Panasonic/Matsushita drive which meant the only way to unlock it was to flash it by using a tool to make custom firmware for it...and I didn't find that tool until 2012 long after I'd moved back :x I ended up dragging my old DVD player from home to my uni accomodation just to watch the other movies and the first blue brick!

TL;DR I hate region locking.

Ahh crap.

Thanks for looking anyway guys.

Considering the ps3 (and I think the 360 too) are region free, they hopefully will be able to play the dvds, I've rekindled some love for dragonball after buying a 1-3 manga collection :)

Gonna have to stop ya again mate :( The PS3 is region free for games, but not for DVDs or Blu-rays. Do you have a stand-alone DVD player? Most of those can be unlocked with a remote control code.

Ath said:
Gonna have to stop ya again mate :( The PS3 is region free for games, but not for DVDs or Blu-rays. Do you have a stand-alone DVD player? Most of those can be unlocked with a remote control code.

Just a heads up regarding what Ath said.

PS3, PS4 and Xbox One are region free for games only so ignore what people say online.

DVD players can be unlocked for Multi-Region HOWEVER most will probably be limited to a few turns then it will be locked to whatever region is last when the disc is in, like PC drives.

Like this:
unlock code for system
play R1
play R2
play R4
play R2
Play R1
locked to R1 forever.

You can pick up a cheap Toshiba DVD player from Amazon for £25, then make it region-free by entering a code on the remote.

Then keep it for Region 1 releases.

Ahhh Ath, you're officially the barer of bad news lol

Is there a generic code to make any player into a region free player? I've got a Dvd player with surroundsound from sainsburys, cost about 50quid and i have no idea what the make is.

Is there any model name or number on the back of the player? You can look up unlock codes here. I have a spare cheapo player from ASDA which was region free out of the box so yours is probably unlockable if it isn't unlocked already. Each code is usually different depending on the player though.

I'm sitting trying to finish my art essay before the day is out. Very much struggling to keep in focus at this point. I want to finish before tomorrow since my class are organising a Christmas Fayre fundraiser and that'll take most of the day. Looking forward to it though ^_^ hopefully we'll raise some good money to help fund our exhibition!

I've had a look at the player and its a "RED" product from sainsburys, took a pic of the back of the box and will have to look on my lunch break to see if theres a code to hack it.

I Have a challenge for anyone who has more time than me to browse the web and wants to be a good samaritan.

If possible, could someone find me the first blue brick of dragonball for under the £15 i've seen in on amazon. Preferrably shipping within the UK as i dont really have 30 days to wait for it to come across from america :p

Thanks if anyone can manage it!

Ahh perfect! :D

I may end up succumbing to the "just been paid, i've got money to burn" temptation and buy the first blue block but its good to know a R2 release will be on the way!

May pick up the two GT green blocks in the meantime :p

Not had chance to try and unlock it, ended up going to the pub with my mates lastnight and by the time i got home i just wanted to sleep lol (getting old these days)

Back