The General Conversation Area

McIcy said:
New today would be, missing my son, he is staying with his mum this weekend and I am on nightshift which sucks

I'd trade with you for nightshift i won't lie, i need the hours. On another note, welcome back. Been a while sir

Arbalest said:
McIcy said:
New today would be, missing my son, he is staying with his mum this weekend and I am on nightshift which sucks

I'd trade with you for nightshift i won't lie, i need the hours. On another note, welcome back. Been a while sir

Loss of wife (separation not death) equeals more free time so I get to get back into my anime and manga and gaming

Joshawott said:
Madoka: Rebellion is now showing in Mexico.

Come on Aniplex! Why not the UK?! >>

NormanicGrav said:
Amazon has dispatched The Wolverine, should arrive on Monday. I bought the 3D version as it's the only way to get the 2D Extended Cut.
WHAT?! Seriously?!

I'm serious, I'm quite surprised myself with this idea. It's basically a marketing scheme to get people to buy 3D versions, I'm not fussed much since I've decided to own 3D versions for films I really enjoyed (like Man of Steel for example).

The 2D Blu-ray version has this:
Bonus content:
o Alternate Ending
o X-Men: Days of Future Past Set Tour
o The Path of the Ronin - an immersive feature following the journey of a hero without a past
o Sync with Wolverine Second Screen App for an interactive Second Screen experience (Syncs with the 2D BD)
o Theatrical Trailers

The 3D Blu-ray version has this:
Bonus content:
• The Wolverine - Blu-ray 3D Theatrical Version
• The Wolverine - Blu-ray Unleashed Extended Cut with Director audio commentary
• The Wolverine - Blu-ray Theatrical Version with Special Features:
o Alternate Ending
o X-Men: Days of Future Past Set Tour
o The Path of the Ronin - an immersive feature following the journey of a hero without a past
o Sync with Wolverine Second Screen App for an interactive Second Screen experience (Syncs with the 2D BD)
o Theatrical Trailers

And the DVD version has this:
Bonus features:
The Wolverine - Theatrical Cut
Inspiration - A Ronin's Journey

Not sure where to put this so here's my general thoughts.

I've been looking around on the whole Limited Edition artboxes that Funimation does for their releases. Because I'm new to the whole anime industry (started since 2012), I need to catch up with the LEs before they go OOP. I'm able to get more cash in January so I've added Chaos;Head, Guilty Crown Part 1 and Yamada's First Time to the shopping list but I've noticed a change to the LE system for Funimation. From January onwards, they only released LE versions for Part 1's only. Titles like Eureka Seven Season 1, Kamisama Kiss and Jormungand are only getting the standard treatment while Robotics;Notes (Part 1), Attack on Titan (Part 1) and sub-onlys are getting LEs. I wonder what's gotten into their heads doing this, possibly Dragon Ball Z allowing them to get more cash with the Orange Box HD Editions. But either way, it allows me to save cash on certain titles because as standard editions they'll last longer on the marketplace.

Joshawott said:
Is Boris Johnson f---ing serious?

FFDQMNK.png

Just watched Pacific Rim for the first time. Here's my thoughts:

- It was well done. The action scenes were fun to watch.
- The intro was pretty good but the parts between that and the half way point was a bit dragging (though I enjoyed Mako and Stacker a lot in the film).
- Stacker's response was frickin amazing (During the scene when Becket grabbed Stacker's arm about Mako's past).
- Some of the logic was a bit random (Kajiu are aliens and clones, wait what? Why not do something like Piranha 3D did where they're inside the earth?)
- While I get the NGE inspiration, I can't help notice Attack on Titan being referenced/inspired in this production (Let's create walls so that we can be safe from the Tita-, I mean Kajiu's because that has always worked out wel- OH **** THEY BROKE THE WALL!)
- The sword (Why not use that in the middle of the fight? Logic).
- The scientists. To me, it felt like they ruined the tone of the movie because they're acting to be funny for the kids (like the seizure memory interaction with the Kajiu brains). I guess it was intentional to gain the younger audience.
- It ends nicely, open for more or leave it as it is without requiring a sequel.

Overall, a solid 3/5. Enjoyment wise a 4/5.

Last edited by a moderator:
For some reason the Aiseesoft Blu-ray player states 'file loading failed' on Maken-Ki! but plays Last Exile: Fam (& Black Lagoon) and every other title perfectly fine. Well I'm planning on getting a Region Free Blu-ray player next year so I guess I can wait for a while.

NormanicGrav said:
For some reason the Aiseesoft Blu-ray player states 'file loading failed' on Maken-Ki! but plays Last Exile: Fam (& Black Lagoon) and every other title perfectly fine. Well I'm planning on getting a Region Free Blu-ray player next year so I guess I can wait for a while.
For my PC BD viewing I use AnyDVD HD to remove the copyright protection/region code, then just play back the individual episode files in MPC-HC w/Kawaii Codec Pack. I think you can get an AnyDVD HD trial if that helps at all. You also don't have to deal with any locked subs crap that way too, just press A to change audio or S to change subs.
Also, did you try it in your PS3? Funi/Sentai don't 100% of the time state that a series is AB.

Mangaranga said:
NormanicGrav said:
For my PC BD viewing I use AnyDVD HD to remove the copyright protection/region code, then just play back the individual episode files in MPC-HC w/Kawaii Codec Pack. I think you can get an AnyDVD HD trial if that helps at all. You also don't have to deal with any locked subs crap that way too, just press A to change audio or S to change subs.
Also, did you try it in your PS3? Funi/Sentai don't 100% of the time state that a series is AB.

I did test it on the PS3, it showed up with the Region A image (same went to Last Exile: Fam and Black Lagoon [Classic Line]). I guess I could use AnyDVD but wouldn't it affect the discs in general? or not to mention the amount of space it could take up on my laptop (I have a 750GB Hard Drive).

NormanicGrav said:
I guess I could use AnyDVD but wouldn't it affect the discs in general? or not to mention the amount of space it could take up on my laptop (I have a 750GB Hard Drive).
Doesn't copy anything to your HDD. Literally just temporarily removes the Copy Protection on the disc so it can be played back in "Normal" players. I recommend MPC-HC with KCP though. I've had trouble with other things, from audio tracks not appearing to BD Subs not being supported etc. Doesn't affect the on disc files either, although after the protection has been removed you can copy the files to your HDD if you really wanted to...

TLDR; Works exactly the same as using a supported BD player. I just don't want all the bloat and other **** on my nice PC.
Hell, if you installed AnyDVD HD you'll probably find that it'll work in whatever player you're using now. The company probably just don't support the copy protection that the release uses yet.

Got promoted today :).

Rather than being a customer assistant, I'm now going to be a coach that focuses on recruitment and induction of new staff, and continuous development of skills for our existing staff members.

Congrats :)

Monday I start my new job as an Auditor, nice little pay-rise for me and hopefully will be a better role at keeping my mind active

Back