The General Conversation Area

Sometimes I wish I could just disappear.

I was out with my family today and my dad is the sort of person who thinks he knows it all, he thinks he knows the best way to get from A to B, when he doesn't and ends up getting lost around Eastleigh.

Or how you are meant to be extra careful at junctions as some people might not signal they are going down a road leading solely to a closed car-park.

He keeps changing his mind what 'fun' we are upto tomorrow, from going to Exeter by train (£76 for all 3), going to the Isle of Wight (at least £45 for the ferry, plus fuel). I keep trying to push to go to Street, so I can have a lot at some cold-weather clothes. At least hopefully we will get home at a decent time to allow me to escape to the gym.

Went to my uni's fresher fair yesterday. I found the Japan society and nearly every other society imaginable (Bee keeping, Vedic, Taiji Opera, Oragami) but I disappointingly I couldn't find the anime society :( I must have missed them.

A ringworm fungus has quite unabashedly taken up residence in my face. As I write this, the elite forces of a prescribed antifungal cream are engaged in localised combat against the dermatophyte hordes.

Went to another job interview today. It was an informal one. If I impressed them enough (I felt it went well) then I might get called in for a formal interview. I should know one way or the other Tuesday afternoon.

Good luck with the formal interview (if you shall get it).

My success rate with applications is pretty poor, out of the last 20 or so jobs applied for I've received 2 emails back saying 'thank you but you are unsuccessful', plus phone-calls from various recruitment agencies who seem to do pretty much sod-all. I wouldn't mind but I've updated my CV quite a bit with some help from a couple experts :(

Megan (my ex) has just told me she's pregnant.

Not mine, sadly. Feel devastated, this is almost worse then when she broke up with me. I had resolved to being friends with her, but ultimately I knew what I was doing, playing the long game of being her friend and in the future hoping we'd get back together, because there would always have been that chance. Now it feels like a clock has suddenly been put on that and that someone's already beaten me to the punch. If I tell her now how I still feel about her it's going to ruin things, I know it, we won't be able to be friends any more. But I honestly feel I have to now. Why do things just have to get so complicated?

Kite said:
Good luck with the formal interview (if you shall get it).

My success rate with applications is pretty poor, out of the last 20 or so jobs applied for I've received 2 emails back saying 'thank you but you are unsuccessful', plus phone-calls from various recruitment agencies who seem to do pretty much sod-all. I wouldn't mind but I've updated my CV quite a bit with some help from a couple experts :(

Thanks but it seems I have missed out again as I got an email from the agency today saying the vacancy had been filled. The feedback said that I had interviewed well which is some good news I guess.

With regards to CVs it took about a month or so of signing on before the jobcentre told me my CV was not good enough. I had been in my last job for just over 12 years and looking at your CV isn't something you tend to do on a regular basis when you already have a job plus what people look for in a cv changes over time*. I ended up getting advice from about 4 or 5 different sources in the space of a couple of weeks or so and things have picked up since.

With regards to your success rate with your applications, just stick with it. I had a long period of little feedback then had a run of 4 interviews in about 2-3 weeks. Just keep applying and something will come up.

* Back in 1999/2000 when I had advice on improving my CV before my last job I was told to make my CV no more than 2 pages. The advice I recently had said it needs to be a minimum of 2 pages and no more than 6 pages. It should also be changed to match the job you are applying for.

20thCenturyBoy said:
playing the long game of being her friend and in the future hoping we'd get back together, because there would always have been that chance.

This is the worst recipe for disaster for a male human being.

20thCenturyBoy said:
If I tell her now how I still feel about her it's going to ruin things, I know it, we won't be able to be friends any more. But I honestly feel I have to now. Why do things just have to get so complicated?

Maybe you should consider it's better to move on. It will hurt for weeks/months and leave a scar, but honestly from what you write you have almost zero chances to get together with this girl, and if this would ever happen then it would end badly in few time.

Teo

I have to agree with Teo's advice here. The situation has red flags all over it.

I think it's hard to stay friends unless you've known one another a while or it ended mutually. Since neither of those is true, trying to stay friends is just a recipe for endless hurt.

R

One can be friends with an ex, sure, but you ought to have a period of separation and no communication first so that you can truly get over the situation. Once that is done, one can rekindle a friendship more safely.

I feel my forehead is going to come out spotty in the next couple days. Must have been something I have eaten :(

And my car doesn't like Morrison's fuel, nearly 50 miles less from a tank (normally I get around 550 miles from the tank before the fuel-light comes on, it came on at 502 miles this evening, and my driving style hasn't changed)

Just went to see Rurouni Kenshin in Cineworld Sheffield. For 2 hours it was worth it, I really enjoyed this film despite having no knowledge for the manga or anime series. The soundtrack was addictive and the fight scenes are rather epic.

Drastic times have called for drastic measures. I have taken recourse to applying Poundland cosmetic concealer atop my ringworm cream. This will prevent further embarrassment during interviews; my sickly mien will be masked by a layer of superficiality. (Just as it should be.)

Trying to find employment after university is tough. Went for an interview for an internship on Friday, but I just found out that I was unsuccessful. Got for a phonecall talking about another internship today that could be interesting though, so it feels like I'm making a bit more progress now.

Ath said:
Trying to find employment after university is tough. Went for an interview for an internship on Friday, but I just found out that I was unsuccessful. Got for a phonecall talking about another internship today that could be interesting though, so it feels like I'm making a bit more progress now.

Good luck.

mangaman74 said:
Good luck.
Cheers dude :) I've secured an interview for the next position this Wednesday so we shall see what happens.

I also just realised the hideous English I used in my last post. "Got for a phonecall"? :oops:

Back