The General Conversation Area

Had my annual performance at work on Wednesday, and was graded as a high performer. My line manager thinks the next step for me is to look at moving up to being a section coordinator, which is something I'd love to be able to do. Hopefully things work out and I can start to move up the ladder. :D

I'm with cold and I'm meant to be meeting the bf's parents for a second time tomorrow. Eugh!

I'm also craving bourbon biscuits like a mofo and going for a 3 course meal at Samsi tonight courtesy of a Groupon I bought :)

canny we have two Danielle's here. I sometimes have to double check whether they're north or south.

Anyhow just something to lighten the mode, Spyro happened to have a right state of affairs, and at one point questioned about the use of the word "telephony". which reminded me of this clip I had only saw a few hours earlier

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been asked to assist with a project at work in the main office for the next 2 weeks.

Time to make a good impression and to shine :)

(Only downside is that it's an hours drive each way, but at least they are paying for my fuel, so i can't really moan about that)

Things I learnt today

After 18 or so months without playing any pool I managed to do a few good rounds, getting down to black v black (all coloured balls potted) on 3 matches [winning 1 outright, winning 1 by default and losing 1 by default [potting the white as well]), normally I was a bit rubbish.

But I can't bowl :(

I haven't played proper pool in ages, plenty of Virtual Pool in that time though. When I first installed the new(ish) one I spent a good hour or so fiddling with the mouse and FOV settings just too get it to a similar state to my view when I'm actually playing proper pool.

Also US pool supremacy.

We have different coloured balls.

plus I think there's a few different rules here and there, though at my local they have an old, thin billiard table. Where you hit one ball, to sink another and score points that way. A bit more complex to standard billiards

st_owly said:
Is what we call snooker what Americans call pool?

No.

Snooker is it's own bespoke game away from Pool. In Snooker the aim is to score points until your opponent concedes due to having no realistic chance of winning the frame (ie you're further ahead than there are points on the table and he needs a stupid amount of fouls to come back).

In American Pool there's a variety of different games with differing objectives. For example in 9 ball the aim is to pot balls 1-9 (American Pool balls are numbered 1-15. Balls 1-8 have solid colour schemes while 9-15 have stripes for the purposes of playing 8 ball) from lowest to highest, although you can pot any ball (except the cue ball) you want during a shot as long as you hit the lowest numbered ball first and don't foul. If you pot the 9 in this manner you win the frame automatically.

Then you've got stuff like Rotation which is a similar idea but the aim is to score 61 points or more before your opponent (sometimes lower depending on fouls), you score points based on the number on the ball you pot but you must hit the lowest numbered ball first. One Pocket requires you to nominate one of the two corner pockets nearest the triangle and then pot eight balls into it before your opponent does in the opposite pocket. Sounds easy enough but it's very slow, very tactical and is a real thinking man's game.

Since someone mentioned Billiards I might as well draw attention to what's known as Artistic Billiards. The aim in one form of billiards is to hit two balls with your cue ball in the same shot (your opponent's cue ball and the object ball). Sounds easy right? There's only three balls on the table and one's your cue ball. (One player gets the white as cue ball, the other gets yellow). Artistic Billiards takes this further; it requires players to duplicate a given shot exactly as it's laid out. Again sounds easy but these shots require players to use extreme amounts of spin, cue power and masse (curling the cue ball after striking it) in order to accomplish them. It is a nightmarish game to even attempt to learn let alone come close to mastering. Hence why people who play it generally don't play other games even if they're also Billiards.

Yes I'm a bit of a cue sports nerd.

st_owly said:
Are you familiar with Bar Billiards at all? My parents have a table, so I grew up playing that.

This is exactly what I was on about, I tried a bit of it on my own but not with someone else yet. I found it a bit complex about the innings business

It was pub style '8' ball (7 solid colours, 7 strips, 1 black).

I've had a day out at Twickenham today, for the rugby sevens, great day out :)

7wBpQc3.jpg

:lol:

Back