The General Conversation Area

This is the best part of being teetotal, you never have to deal with losing fights to buses or shouting horrible things at hospital staff.

Garden is done for the time being, I've just got to visit the dump some point this week with the waste before it starts to decompose in the wheelie bins.

Freshly cut grass is a wonderful smell

I recently done an interview over at Pen & Sword Ink about the recent release of my graphic novel. It was kinda cool having my first interview and makes me hungry for success for more. Hope some of you guys can check it out.

Tomorrow I'm starting training so that I can level up at work. They've been wanting to do it for some time but I was always kind of against it as it I felt it would be a step closer to ending up there full time, which I seriously do not want. I decided to say yes this time though, and I'll be glad for the extra guaranteed hours and bit more pay at the end of it, but what I'm really hoping it means is that it gets me out of there quicker since I can put "management experience" on my CV.

st_owly said:
Hayfever is caused by grass, flowers and trees releasing pollen into the atmosphere. People who are allergic to said pollen get hayfever.

Then how does grass create pollen when it doesn't even flower????

"Grass pollen is comprised of microscopic grains that contain the plant’s reproductive material, and is released from the grass to be blown by the wind to fertilize other plants."

GolGotha said:
"Grass pollen is comprised of microscopic grains that contain the plant’s reproductive material, and is released from the grass to be blown by the wind to fertilize other plants."t/quote]

Thanks Gol for clearing that up for me. it's just when you'd expect a plant to flower, grass would do the same. so yeah confusing yet en-lighting at the same time. Wondered where they'd they'd get the seeds from.

If I went out with you, I'd never cut the grass for your benifit

After a month of having started a new job (am now in my 5th week), I've started getting really bad tension headaches and sharp pains in my head. It turns out that I'm having tension headaches that are pretty much incurable, but it's obvious that they're caused by work (as I only tend to have them while at work). The sharp pains are most likely caused by an eye condition I have called ocular motor apraxia, where the signals between the eye and brain get mixed up (so if I turn my head left, my eyes move right, for example) and tend to happen when say, I'm walking and talking with someone, then turn to walk somewhere else but am still talking to them. It also happened today while my boss was having a word with me about a few things I messed up on last week (which were addressed and resolved when they happened, so why mention them again? 9.9).

So I come into work today and I noticed that since I was off, someone decided to completely re-organise my desk. My manager told me it was a bit too disorganised before, except that it wasn't at all. I just didn't jam everything into the drawers like whoever re-organised my desk did, because I value ease of access over aesthetics (basically, whoever re-organised it just took what I normally had laid out on the desk itself and stuck them in my drawers). I also didn't like how they had went through the drawers in my desk - there's nothing too confidential in them (just my apprenticeship work folder), but I do keep it locked for a reason (another person in the department has the spare key in case I lose my original). I respect the privacy of everyone else in the department, so I'd like it if they respected mine.

I saw my GP after work today and she basically told me that medication will only aggravate a tension headache in a lot of cases and the only cure really is to tackle the thing causing them, but as work is unavoidable, to change my life-style habits, like take a walk during my breaks (which is impossible, due to working on the top floor, which is tiny. By the time I get to the ground floor and shove my lunch down my throat, it's time to go back up). She basically said that if it doesn't sort itself out in a few weeks, that it might be worth looking for a new job.

Also, at work I had to sit through a 2 hour lesson on the different kinds of filing stationary and filing cabinets, as well as go through a booklet which basically consisted of me sorting lists out into alphabetical or numerical order. Excuse me, I have an A-Level in English and a GCSE in Maths, I know this stuff and any 6 year old probably does too.

So basically, I'm screwed. My older brother is having similar problems with his job too, with tension headaches and stuff. I guess it's because both me and him are more creatively geared people (him musically, me linguistically) that doing things that are so mundane and uncreative are the opposite of stimulating.

I'd take all that up with your boss, you might be able to come to an arrangement with regard to a bit of help with the headaches and the business with the drawers isn't on.

GRCC said:
I'd take all that up with your boss, you might be able to come to an arrangement with regard to a bit of help with the headaches and the business with the drawers isn't on.
The problem is, everyone in my department is so nice that it's really hard for me to speak to them, especially about bad things.

My ASDA conquest for today: a packet of unbaked gingerbread dough for 20 pence. The butter within it may be close to turning, but the resulting batch still met my (ever-falling) standards.

You know you've done well in a presentation when your lecturer pulls you over at the end and asks if you'd be willing to rework that presentation into a class for next year's students, and another lecturer practically begs you to take his class next semester! :D

Back