The General Conversation Area

Thanks Josh, Rivaan, 20thCenturyBoy and Max :) I'm going to go into town tomorrow and get a new pair of trousers for Monday.

Sorry to hear you didn't get the job Josh.

Job interviews are the weirdest things. Sometimes you go, you answer everything and you think you've done great and you get a no.

Other times, for example the place I work for now, you turn up really ill (bad throat so I didn't even wear a tie) looking like a zombie (also I hadn't cut my hair in 3 years or shaved in about 9 months at this point in life) and completely freeze up and fail to answer all the technical questions... yet somehow land the job.

Seems like 90% of it is nonsense and a lot of it is down to whether you really fit into the category of who they are looking for, which has often been decided before you walk in the room (or pick up the phone). Most of the interviews I'd previously been turned down for was due to lack of experience, they knew how much experience I had from my CV so if they wanted more why did they bother to have me come in?

Anyway good luck guys. Don't let a no get you down, these are tough times and confidence in your self is a big help :)

ayase said:
FourthLion said:
The annoying thing about what chaos and ayase are saying (about her having the right to the one nights stands etc, which she totally does) is that sometimes, sometimes you just KNOW you're right and that they are doing/about to do something that really they don't want and will regret later.
I know there are differring opinions on this (and it's probably more a philosophical/political position than an emotional one) but personally I don't think anyone can ever know what's right for someone else. If you think you know what's right for you and value the ability to make independent decisions free of the influence of others, then you have to respect the right of others to do the sane. Because in the end if it's what they have chosen to do of their own free will, I don't think that can be called a mistake unless they decide it is. And it's also not possible to know they will arrive at that conclusion at a later date.

It probably depends where you stand on intervention, I'm a very non-interventionist person as long as people leave me alone. I'd be a terrible Samaritan.

Maybe know was too strong a word. I guess you never 100% know. That said you can know someone VERY well and said person can be wrong or having a moment of madness (happens to us all).
I think the trick for me is whether you know the values that that person holds themselves. You should never stop someone from doing something because it'd annoy you, but maybe (and like you said this is certainly up for debate) you should if you're fairly certain that they'll be very annoyed at themselves later. TBH I'm not very interventionalist (is this a word?) either normally (at least not until someone asks) but in my case when it's my actual girlfriend in question I'm not sure any steps taken are particularly radically interventionalist... (plus it's pretty hard to remain objective when things are so very close to home - which is why, if someone is going to intervene, I don't think it should be a person of vested interest).

Rivaan said:
I really wanted a DeLorean, a while back. I remember being surprised when I found out they were only about £23,000 pre-owned.

Hmm, I just checked, and it seems they are going into "re-production" from 2013! They will be using new original parts, OEM parts, and reproduction parts, and you can even custom configured your vehicle to have features like an electric engine! http://delorean.com/sales///quote]
Only 23k eh? I guess that could only buy my car... 38 times. Still, if you've got the money to spend, go for it. Lancia Montecarlos can be had quite a bit cheaper, they're the car the DMC-12 design basically ripped off and for my money are actually better looking. There wouldn't be that same iconic feel I suppose, but they're still film stars in their own right as one played Giselle in Herbie Goes to Monte Carlo.

I had heard about the company planning to make new DeLoreans before, good luck to them. Hopefully they won't end up like the original DMC (inb4 Zin5ki picture of Run–D.M.C. photoshopped into a DeLorean), if they follow a business model similar to Morgan I imagine they could do quite well. Now if we're talking cars we've always wanted, a Morgan Roadster would definitely be one of my earlier buys should I ever come into money... And probably one of the new three wheelers as well. My dad used to know someone who had one of the old ones, they're ace.

And depending on exactly how much money I had at my disposal, I'd also enlarge my garage with a Jensen Interceptor. And a De Tomaso Mangusta. And if I really hit the jackpot a Lamborghini Miura. New cars are crap, they're for people who want to suffocate in stuffy air conditioned boxes unnecessarily bulked up to make sure they live if they crash. Where's the fun in that?

Variations on a theme by ayase:

wNQ5VBk.jpg

Joshawott said:
*sigh* Sometimes I wish I could just not have emotions, like Kyubey.
Takes practice, I guess?

ayase said:
chaos - I'm just the man who acts as though he's a god. You're the real deal, obviously (on this forum at least). ;P
My ego appreciates it.

Joshawott said:
I'm pretty much like that in my home life...it's just some areas I'm still a naive puppy dog xD
FourthLion said:
I wouldn't worry. I think in some area EVERYONE is still a naive puppydog, even if they pretend otherwise.
Indeed!

FourthLion said:
The annoying thing about what chaos and ayase are saying (about her having the right to the one nights stands etc, which she totally does) is that sometimes, sometimes you just KNOW you're right and that they are doing/about to do something that really they don't want and will regret later.
Is it? all my mistakes made me who I am now, and I'm pretty happy with the results so far. I know there's areas to improve, but I like to think that I'm slowly working on them. Wouldn't that be the case for everyone else too?
Not all mistakes will be regretted forever. Some bad things actually pan out to make you a better person in the end, so it's impossible to say what is good / bad for someone else in the long run.

Tachi said:
Chaos is the god of the website, you can be lord of the forums and i will be master of the random chit-chat :lol: sounds fair to me.

Rui, will forever be "the shadow" sat in the darkness.... waiting.... with advice or punishment, it varies :lol:
Sounds good to me.

teonzo said:
FourthLion said:
(as well as a string of ex girlfriends that ring me at all kinds of strange times in tears because this or that isn't working out)

You can introduce them to Josh, this could solve theirs and his problems.
You see? Here's a good idea =)

GolGotha said:
Sadly mine just follow me about haha! Tried removing things from my diet, changing jobs...nothing!

When I was little I used to get them when I was over excited about going to a party or something, which ended up with me getting a migraine and being sick.....missing the event I was excited over lol

Perhaps I just need to start being emotionally cold again I think :lol:
Oh my =( that doesn't sound good. Are they often?

Rena Ryuugu said:
I have a job interview on Monday :D
Good luck!

chaos said:
Oh my =( that doesn't sound good. Are they often?

If I'm super lucky I only get them once a month, but usually tend to get 1 to 3 a week, plus standard headaches....although once I get my glasses I'm sure they will go away.

Aye, crossed fingers, Rena.

In other news the neighbours had decided to use weekend gone as a hammering session... practically through the entire weekend. Quite what the heck the fella is doing is anybody's guess.

I have neighbours like that. the chap next door is rather fond of his electric drill. with the amount of DIY sounds that come out of that place he must be building some sort of secret underground volcano lair.

Max Takeshi said:
Aye, crossed fingers, Rena.

In other news the neighbours had decided to use weekend gone as a hammering session... practically through the entire weekend. Quite what the heck the fella is doing is anybody's guess.
The people downstairs from my flat did so much drilling in their walls one Saturday that the vibrations managed to break the fixings holding up my shelf. As result, all the stuff I had on it went everywhere when the shelf fell off the wall. My room is small too, so I didn't have much room to stop standing on things. I'm surprised nothing got damaged. I was bloody raging.

Heh. Drills. Hammers. I'll see those and raise you a busker with Down's. He's a nice person and I don't begrudge him doing what he obviously enjoys and for the visitors who only hear him for a few minutes he probably cuts quite an inspiring figure, but I often wish he had a concept of just how loud he can be or that people might be getting a little sick of his own very unique rendition of a popular folk song after it's been going on for about 20 minutes. Sometimes he can be here all day, every day for up to three days in a row towards the end of which I do start to feel like hanging myself, but I'd feel like the cruellest person in the world if I complained about him.

Back