The General Conversation Area

Anyone having/had Christmas dinners at their works?

Had mine today and had to live with the fact that maybe... MAYBE my work colleague was about to hurl most epically onto his empty plate. That and him sticking empty party poppers into his eyes was the height of humour.

32 years old.

ayase said:
"Can I spend time with this person without wanting to strangle them?"

The cornerstone to any relationship :thumb:

Zin5ki said:
Arbalest said:
You rang? what does one need working out?
Express the cats in increasing powers of x.

Is the total number of cats you've encountered increased exponentially or have they stayed constant throughout? Also, is there any cats in boxes involved? If so, we'd have to play the shrodinger's cat game with it. Give me details here zin.

Joshawott said:
I was kind of pushed by my brother into confessing via Facebook chat as opposed to in person. I had originally decided to wait until I had enough courage to confess face-to-face. Kinda glad I didn't because...boy that would have been awkward. Still, not the bravest of confessions.

That's kind of what chaos was hinting at for me to do. As much as it is probably more likely to get awkward reactions face-to-face, but i'd still feel better doing so. 2 months later, adding said person and then asking them to go for coffee might be a little too much to throw at them at once now though. As said, oblivious and daft with these kind of things.

Well, they were a friend that I know IRL. I just happened to send them a message over FB.

Also, I kind of went of Amazon.co.jp and looked at the Chunibyo blu-rays.....and although it's 7 BDs for a 12 episode series at around £40 each with no subs...
71zBrONhWjL._AA1426_.jpg

They sure are sexy.

Aha. AHAHAHAHA...hah....no. Put it this way, everything else got in the way and i just completely forgot. I'm still not used to using facebook much, so the idea completely flew over my head despite your constant reminders. So chances are, it'll take another random appearance of you in edinburgh to get me to see her again >.>

Ah, so that enigmatic prospect lover remains an enigmatic prospect lover. I don't blame you though, asking anyone out over facebook...well, I think I'd find that more awkward than in real life. But I'm strange.

Were I a malevolent God, the sin of "bringing practical considerations into relationship decisions" would be worthy of one of the lower circles of Hell, where the practitioner finds themselves slapped backwards and forwards for enernity by one of the romantic poets while having to watch couples who loved each other unconditionally engage in passionate sex without ever being able to satisfy their own desires.

YES! I think this may just be the greatest thing I've ever read on the internet. If this forum had signatures, I would use that paragraph as mine. Top draw.

ayase said:
VoxPhantom said:
Or alcohol.
And that, from knowledge gathered through many years of bitter personal experience, is never a good idea if you're after anything more than a casual encounter. Even then...
Is it? A little dutch courage, doesn't mean that you have to get high on it to do anything...

ayase said:
When did love and sex become such a big f*cking deal to people, anyway? All I ever ask myself is "Can I spend time with this person without wanting to strangle them?" and "Do I find them physically attractive?" I don't understand all the rejection, you might as well give it a shot, surely?
You make all of us who ever been on a platonic "relationship" sound bad =P Not all have your confidence, but it is something one can develop / increase over time.
I'm kinda glad I don't even remember what being a teenager is like anymore.

The part about strangling someone is true to any human relationship. Specially true with anything where you share some space.

ayase said:
Were I a malevolent God, the sin of "bringing practical considerations into relationship decisions" would be worthy of one of the lower circles of Hell, where the practitioner finds themselves slapped backwards and forwards for enernity by one of the romantic poets while having to watch couples who loved each other unconditionally engage in passionate sex without ever being able to satisfy their own desires.
I lol'ed.

Hard.

Joshawott said:
Today I had my first job interview in over 2 years (and my second one ever). It was for a 1-year apprenticeship as a receptionist at a clinic in my local hospital. I had a mock interview last week with HR there, so I was given a fair few pointers and thanks to that, I think this interview went well. It was 9am though and they said they were interviewing people all day...that could go either way xD
Best of luck! It would be an amazing Christmas pressie =)

Joshawott said:
The person I've been seeing at Realise Futures to help me find employment actually picked me up from my house and took me to my interview (and even paid for a hot chocolate =3). In the car we ended up talking about all kinds of things, like Sony (As he's a gamer too), films and I even managed to mention Chunibyo in perfect context xD
And what is the perfect context to mention Chunibyo? I'm curious, tell me more xD

chaos said:
Joshawott said:
The person I've been seeing at Realise Futures to help me find employment actually picked me up from my house and took me to my interview (and even paid for a hot chocolate =3). In the car we ended up talking about all kinds of things, like Sony (As he's a gamer too), films and I even managed to mention Chunibyo in perfect context xD
And what is the perfect context to mention Chunibyo? I'm curious, tell me more xD
We were discussing how every story needs strong characterisation to stand out and how a character needs a past or a quality that, no matter how "out there" it is, we can still relate to it on some kind of human level to help us sympathise with them. I linked that to Chunibyo and specifically Rikka, because of how that show is incredibly character driven and the reasons why she became a Chunibyo in the first place are things we can fully understand and relate to on a very human level, even if we can't fully understand how it is to be a Chunibyo and that (as well as her amazing level of cuteness) ends up making Rikka one of the most (well, the most in my book) likeable character of 2012 television anime.

chaos said:
ayase said:
VoxPhantom said:
Or alcohol.
And that, from knowledge gathered through many years of bitter personal experience, is never a good idea if you're after anything more than a casual encounter. Even then...
Is it? A little dutch courage, doesn't mean that you have to get high on it to do anything...
Perhaps. Enough alcohol, I think, brings out facets of our character (or perhaps even biology) hidden under the façade we've created for the benefit of society - Some become calm, others happy, some boring, others violent and others lecherous. I think it depends on which of these is true for you to determine how good an idea using drink to shed your inhibitions is. For me, it's not really a good idea...

chaos said:
ayase said:
When did love and sex become such a big f*cking deal to people, anyway? All I ever ask myself is "Can I spend time with this person without wanting to strangle them?" and "Do I find them physically attractive?" I don't understand all the rejection, you might as well give it a shot, surely?
You make all of us who ever been on a platonic "relationship" sound bad =P Not all have your confidence, but it is something one can develop / increase over time.
Hey, nothing at all wrong with platonic relationships (though I don't think I could be in one with someone I found physically attractive, it would be to difficult) and you know I've lacked confidence in the past. My views were really a question to rejectors rather than rejectees - If someone goes to the trouble of asking you out, and they're not hideous or annoying to you, why not give it a shot? What else even needs to factor in? Better to try and find out whether you're compatible than to discount the idea altogether - if you don't try something you never know. Makes it sound a bit like I'm suggesting everyone lower their standards across the board... I probably am.

Last edited by a moderator:
ayase said:
chaos said:
ayase said:
Perhaps. Enough alcohol, I think, brings out facets of our character (or perhaps even biology) hidden under the façade we've created for the benefit of society - Some become calm, others happy, some boring, others violent and others lecherous. I think it depends on which of these is true for you to determine how good an idea using drink to shed your inhibitions is. For me, it's not really a good idea...
I would say little dutch courage is fine. In my case it certainly went beyond that and led to an unplanned confession that is pretty cringeworthy to think back to. "Tired and emotional" probably sums up the state I got myself into! :lol:

ayase said:
chaos said:
ayase said:
Hey, nothing at all wrong with platonic relationships (though I don't think I could be in one with someone I found physically attractive, it would be to difficult) and you know I've lacked confidence in the past. My views were really a question to rejectors rather than rejectees - If someone goes to the trouble of asking you out, and they're not hideous or annoying to you, why not give it a shot? What else even needs to factor in? Better to try and find out whether you're compatible than to discount the idea altogether - if you don't try something you never know. Makes it sound a bit like I'm suggesting everyone lower their standards across the board... I probably am.

adore.gif
Ayase telling it like it should be - and that Charlie Brooker series was bloody brilliant.

If someone goes to the trouble of asking you out, and they're not hideous or annoying to you, why not give it a shot?

I've been a rejector and it was because I'm extremely difficult, personality-wise, and I knew I wouldn't be able to stand being around the asker. This has happened more than once. I stand by my decision on each occasion - perhaps it's easier if I just say that the overwhelming majority of people are hideous or annoying to me ^^;

I think the 'ayase technique' is a good one, but only for people who unquestionably like being in a couple more than they like being alone. It would have been detrimental to my enjoyment of life to have done anything more than reject the people I rejected back when I was young and less unattractive.

Also, some people made the mistake of not properly getting to know the other person first, then compound it by running a mile when they're turned down because it's awkward. All that achieved was convincing me that I was right in the first place to turn them down. I don't think a second chance is impossible in some cases if people are really serious and the reason for the rejection isn't too problematic...

R

This is interesting. If I personally found someone reasonably attractive, and not immediately frustrating to be around, I wouldn't particularly mind getting to know them a bit better. However,these days I rarely bother trying to initiate such proceedings, mainly because I know that 90% of them go absolutely nowhere for me, it's not really the women's fault, they're usually nice enough in their own way I guess, but after seeing them two or three times I've usually been pretty sure that these women won't ever really understand me and I'd be wasting time to try and continue. A little while ago I had a flicker of hope in my heart that I had found someone interesting and whom I might share something with...but it turned out I was pretty much just fooling myself, and what I was hoping to find was just not there. This usually leads to some people telling me that I "expect too much" and that I'll "die alone" (yes, some people do actually tell me this...), but they just don't understand. I'm not demanding of anyone, I just don't want to be with a woman who I can just have sex with and discuss mostly meaningless things with. That's why these days, I mostly wait until I know there's something I really like about someone before trying to further things. Right now sexual appeal alone does almost nothing for me, don't get me wrong I can appreciate it from a aesthetic perspective, but I really think I'm at the point now where you could throw the most piping hot sexual gorgeous goddess at me on a platter of uninhibited kink, and you know what, I don't think I would even get a semi erection if there wasn't also something deeper there. That may sound funny, but it's true.

All of that isn't to say I'm discouraged however, as I've been lucky enough to have some hugely satisfying romantic relationships in the past, and I know that there are so many amazing women out there, even too many perhaps. I know it can't be too long until I find one.

Joshawott said:
We were discussing how every story needs strong characterisation to stand out and how a character needs a past or a quality that, no matter how "out there" it is, we can still relate to it on some kind of human level to help us sympathise with them.
Fair enough. Actually, you made me want to see this series now.

ayase said:
It can take away some inhibitions and relax the person a bit.
Sad thing for me though is that I'm under suspicions of being allergic to it.

ayase said:
Hey, nothing at all wrong with platonic relationships
It's a good plot device for comedies, right?

ayase said:
(though I don't think I could be in one with someone I found physically attractive, it would be to difficult) and you know I've lacked confidence in the past. My views were really a question to rejectors rather than rejectees - If someone goes to the trouble of asking you out, and they're not hideous or annoying to you, why not give it a shot? What else even needs to factor in? Better to try and find out whether you're compatible than to discount the idea altogether - if you don't try something you never know. Makes it sound a bit like I'm suggesting everyone lower their standards across the board... I probably am.
Nah, it's more complex than that. It may be an irrational decision, but still, it's not something that often can be thought through.

ayase said:
I'll save this link and watch it later.

VoxPhantom said:
I would say little dutch courage is fine. In my case it certainly went beyond that and led to an unplanned confession that is pretty cringeworthy to think back to. "Tired and emotional" probably sums up the state I got myself into! :lol:
I wish I could say I have no idea what you're talking about xD

vashdaman said:
This is interesting. If I personally found someone reasonably attractive, and not immediately frustrating to be around, I wouldn't particularly mind getting to know them a bit better. However,these days I rarely bother trying to initiate such proceedings, mainly because I know that 90% of them go absolutely nowhere for me, it's not really the women's fault, they're usually nice enough in their own way I guess, but after seeing them two or three times I've usually been pretty sure that these women won't ever really understand me and I'd be wasting time to try and continue. A little while ago I had a flicker of hope in my heart that I had found someone interesting and whom I might share something with...but it turned out I was pretty much just fooling myself, and what I was hoping to find was just not there. This usually leads to some people telling me that I "expect too much" and that I'll "die alone" (yes, some people do actually tell me this...), but they just don't understand. I'm not demanding of anyone, I just don't want to be with a woman who I can just have sex with and discuss mostly meaningless things with. That's why these days, I mostly wait until I know there's something I really like about someone before trying to further things. Right now sexual appeal alone does almost nothing for me, don't get me wrong I can appreciate it from a aesthetic perspective, but I really think I'm at the point now where you could throw the most piping hot sexual gorgeous goddess at me on a platter of uninhibited kink, and you know what, I don't think I would even get a semi erection if there wasn't also something deeper there. That may sound funny, but it's true.

All of that isn't to say I'm discouraged however, as I've been lucky enough to have some hugely satisfying romantic relationships in the past, and I know that there are so many amazing women out there, even too many perhaps. I know it can't be too long until I find one.
Well, according to Anton Chekhov: "A woman can only become a man’s friend in three stages: first, she’s an agreeable acquaintance, then a mistress, and only after that a friend."

Lawrence said:
I had a terrible dream last night, I was posting on here but part of my post was omitted for some reason -computer magic- which made what remained appear as a poor attempt at flaming, then Arby banned me for it.

I guess it wasn't a good idea to check the forums straight before bed...
The idea of this being a terrible nightmare made me wonder what happened to nightmares about natural catastrophes and death, and so on.... =D

In any case, we have a three strikes policy, so unless you did something outrageously bad, we wouldn't ban you right away.

That's the second time that Arbalest has interfered with the slumbering muses of others. Once I dreamed that he owned a hand-held gaming device and used it to communicate with others. Most bizarre.

Dear god. This is actually worrying. Not once have i been part of someone elses dreams, but twice. I've either got to question your sanity, or what you've been drinking when this occurred.

I'm not a tech geek and nor do I claim to be, but holy hell the Japanese TV spots and the "What? Why? Shana?" specials on the Shakugan no Shana II Part 1 release are ugly as hell. Compressed and stretched like nobody's business.

Thank Arceus that Shakugan no Shana-tan looked just as good as the rest of the release.

For Christmas, my uncle got my Grandpa a Kobo (which is pointless as he doesn't read). Today, I was taking a look at it and decided to check out what Comics & Graphic novels were available...

Yaoi. Yaoi everywhere.

theirsbailiff said:
Does anybody here do Script Writing, and more specifically Screenwriting? I'm trying to work on a script idea and I'm completely stuck on how to get the idea across.

I write comic book scripts and have slightly dabbled in screenplays too, what particular aspects are troubling you?

Back