The General Conversation Area

Read the manga 👍 The film cut a lot of the side characters "screen time".
I watched 3 films all pretty close to one another. This, Your Name, and Anthem of the Heart and I still maintain that whilst all good AotH is my favourite.
Yeah I have thought about the manga. Will ha e to look into it properly.

AotH is the only one I've only seem once. I did enjoy it though, should probably give it a rewatch at some point. Though I'd say your name and a silent voice both blew me away the first time I watched them which AotH didnt quite manage.

blew me away
There's no real set piece in the film, apart from some flight of fancy stuff, so if you're talking animation then yeah.
If you're talking story Your Name has a few plot holes and I felt the side characters had been short changed in ASV even before I read the manga. I think it helps that I have a personal connection to Jun in the circumstances she finds herself in.

I recently got around to watching a silent voice. My main thought now is why i never took @Neil.T advice about watching it sooner. It was definitely a fantastic watch.
Blimey, I can't even remember recommending it to you, dude. 😅

I'm pleased the film has another fan now. 👍
Thoughts still with KyoAni.

I watched 3 films all pretty close to one another. This, Your Name, and Anthem of the Heart and I still maintain that whilst all good AotH is my favourite.
AotH is the only one I've only seem once. I did enjoy it though, should probably give it a rewatch at some point. Though I'd say your name and a silent voice both blew me away the first time I watched them which AotH didnt quite manage.
Anthem of the Heart is a unique example of something that gained an extra two marks in my MAL ratings on subsequent rewatches. The choir scene became the key for me; it's very moving.

With A Silent Voice... I don't know if this is controversial or not, but I continue to hold the belief that the first story arc, with the characters as kids, is the best-executed of the two. The second arc threatens to go off the rails just a little at the point where Ueno picks a fight with Shouko outside the hospital. We just suddenly join it with it already happening, and it leaves me somewhat wrong-footed. Too much starts happening a bit too quickly at that point, I think. In fact, the second arc is probably more guilty of melodrama than Anthem of the Heart is, and that's written by Mari Okada! 😵

Last edited:
Has anybody bought any sentai filmwork blu rays directly from there store recently?
Titles released before 2015 as I need to double check there all geolocked now.

Has anybody bought any sentai filmwork blu rays directly from there store recently?
Titles released before 2015 as I need to double check there all geolocked now.
I've bought some BDs during their recent summer sale. The results are as following:
  • Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 Complete Collection - Region locked (A)
  • Dusk Maiden of Amnesia Complete Collection - Region locked (AB, region B users will see Hanabee splash and region A the FBI warning and the obnoxious ad for theanimenetwork.com)
  • Canaan Complete Collection - Region locked (A)
  • Is the Order a Rabbit? Complete Collection - Geolocked to US and CA (so the older geolock version, not the newer one), although not surprising as this one is from 2015 not before it
Honestly I would've been surprised if the results were any different. I don't know how often they reprint their titles, but why would they change anything? While it would be a small change, they would still have to perform a new round of QC, not to mention possible license agreements where the chosen "reverse import"-measure was explicitly agreed upon (I assume that could be the case).

I've bought some BDs during their recent summer sale. The results are as following:
  • Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 Complete Collection - Region locked (A)
  • Dusk Maiden of Amnesia Complete Collection - Region locked (AB, region B users will see Hanabee splash and region A the FBI warning and the obnoxious ad for theanimenetwork.com)
  • Canaan Complete Collection - Region locked (A)
  • Is the Order a Rabbit? Complete Collection - Geolocked to US and CA (so the older geolock version, not the newer one), although not surprising as this one is from 2015 not before it
Honestly I would've been surprised if the results were any different. I don't know how often they reprint their titles, but why would they change anything? While it would be a small change, they would still have to perform a new round of QC, not to mention possible license agreements where the chosen "reverse import"-measure was explicitly agreed upon (I assume that could be the case).
Good to know.
I only know of 2 titles that are now geolocked.
So its good to know they haven't done it to all there titles.

So I might of just found someone in Australia that might be able to source me titles and whats the odds of him working for an anime company. Well to my surprise he worked for siren visual.

Again talking to someone online yesterday about purchasing a copy of Patlabor and he use to work for adv.
Whats the odds 😵

Good old useless amazon.com sent a bloody cd in an a4 jiffy bag and expect me to go through the hassle of paying for it to be returned and then putting in a postage refund request.

Can someone explain some... maybe very basic Japanese, I dont know

Why is East in Japanese "azuma"

But the hiragana is made up of Hi Ga Shi.. so, thats "Higashi"
and the katakana is made up of I Su To... and thats "Isuto" (could be more common for Yeast tbh)

Putting 東 into google gives the Azuma word, but clicking the speech icon, google robot says Higashi

Or is all of this totally irrelevant as its Kanji, and if so, whats the actual way to say East? is it Higashi or Azuma

Can someone explain some... maybe very basic Japanese, I dont know

Why is East in Japanese "azuma"

But the hiragana is made up of Hi Ga Shi.. so, thats "Higashi"
and the katakana is made up of I Su To... and thats "Isuto" (could be more common for Yeast tbh)

Putting 東 into google gives the Azuma word, but clicking the speech icon, google robot says Higashi

Or is all of this totally irrelevant as its Kanji, and if so, whats the actual way to say East? is it Higashi or Azuma
All I know about Japanese is that they will often use the same word for many different things, but what it actually means depends on context and intent of the writer/speaker, it doesn’t happen for every word though

For future reference I doubt a Japanese individual would take offence if you just said "erm...erm..." and then pointed in the general direction 😕

Back