The General Conversation Area

@Neil.T Just as an FYI, she's sort of making you sound like Groundskeeper Willie :)

latest

I just suck at noting what sarcasm is and what isn't lol. And I knew you liked Digimon, right?
You get practice when you happen to be dating a pure 100% sarcastic Scotsman ;) I was just proper being lazy though. I was fuzzy headed (hadn't long got out of bed) so I was still waking up! 🤣

Yeah, both Pokemon and Digimon were a huge part of my (otherwise c****y) childhood. I LOVED the Pokemon games (I had Blue for the Gameboy, and Stadium and Snap for the N64), and I grew up watching the anime as well (only the first two seasons before I lost touch mind you), but I still totally appreciate the franchise as a whole. The visual style really appeals to me, as does the design of the monsters, and of course the concept as well - something Nintendo just nails when it comes to creating innovative fantasy worlds that are full of fun and adventure. The games just keep evolving; it's a timeless franchise I think. Great to see you have the first three movies there too - the third isn't as good as the first two imo, but still watchable 😃

I've got the Digimon Tri movies too (I've watched the first and really enjoyed it) so I'm looking forward to making my way through those at some point 😃

Well, that's it. Off he goes to shave his hair and beard after his bacon roll 😢 😭 GOODBYE FOREVER! 👋🤧

Looks like I'll have to fight fire with fire then! 😤

@Neil.T? I'm going to go BALD! 😤

EDIT: Neil I don't even KNOW you anymore! 😭 😭 😭 😭 😭

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, as HWR said, sarcasm is a lot harder to detect in text form lol.

But I know a lot of people who trash Pokémon for not being a good anime, that’s why I doubted the sarcasm part (quantity/quality part as well). I also grew up watching it, every Saturday morning lol. But also Digimon, however, I have legit no memory of it whatsoever 😆
The two first movies are great, that’s why I got those two to begin with. Then I thought about it and purchased the third one a month later 😄

Nah dude, it was a legit comment of appreciation 😊👍 but I totally agree with the quality over quantity as a sentiment as well. You've got a really modest sized collection of stuff there to be fair. As Neil said to me once, he generally owns stuff that he knows he'll keep coming back to, as opposed to just owning stuff for the sake of it being there on a shelf and looking pretty.

Pokemon for me was an easy anime to get into because it was such a simple concept but just executed in a really fun and exciting way, and the animation appealed to me as well - bold, bright and just really fun! I was a bit hesitant about Digimon at first though, just because I thought it was a rip-off of Pokemon, but I started watching it and was hooked! I didn't think the animation was as good as Pokemon though.

I noticed the Eva rebuild films too? Neil has those and I'm looking forward to checking those out some day 😃

Couldn't Neil cut some of his beard and let you wear it :p
Omg Luke WHY?! Anyway, it's done now. He's clearing up the mess as we speak 😤

Why does my mind always go to the dirtiest places? o_O
Mine was probably already there to be fair! 😅 😆

Yeah, I know I said I had lost the interest in anime, but actually I think I overbought so many shows, that it completely turned me off anime (if that makes any sense lol). But I thought it would be good with some shows that I know that I can rewatch. Like I had some shows which I had a hard time getting into (for example; Samurai Flamenco, Gatchaman Crowds, Blue Excorsist, Tiger & Bunny and some other ones as well).

Pokémon was easy for me as well, it really appeals to kids, and getting into it was very easy. Like the premise is so simple, but so well executed at the same time. I, like you, only watched the first couple of seasons. I think that I stood off after Master Quest, the whole thing became too filler-ish for me. But I still like the old ones, as my older brother owns the DVD's so I watch them whenever I would feel like it.

Yeah, the Eva rebuilds are actually the only mecha anime that I enjoy, and I don't know why though. Any other mecha I have watched wasn't my taste at all (Like Gurren Lagann (classic I know :oops:), Eureka Seven and some others). But I guess I liked the existential angle in it? I would love to watch the original as well, but it's too expensive for me, and I refuse to pirate it. Here in Denmark we have a site where we sell secondhand stuff. A person had the complete Eva collection for sale for 100DKK ~ £11 and it had been sold :( Some guy posted the same exact edition 7 days later for £94 :eek: So I guess I have to keep an eye out for it.

I know what you mean, anime as a medium is pretty hard for me to get into personally anyway. I actually posted in the "General Anime Discussion" thread a short while ago about it. It's very niche, and there's so much out there in terms of genres and styles to appeal to different demographics, you're just not going to like everything. I'm really fussy, and as narrow-minded as it may seem to some, I just know what I like. I can't check out something "just because it's anime". A girl I knew in college many years ago now - she LOVED her anime, and she would watch something and then lend it to me to watch. Honestly? There wasn't really a great deal that stood out to me in terms of stories and concepts. I appreciated the animation of them, but not much beyond that. There's alot of Marmite stuff out there when it comes to anime I think, and personally, I'm not really trying to become an anime buff or anything - much of my appreciation for it lies in it's visual style. I'm sure there'll be things I can get into when I watch stuff with Neil, but I'm not proactively looking to get into loads of stuff or expand my repertoire - I'm pretty casual about it if I'm honest. I guess because as well, I generally don't spend as much time in front of the TV as I used to - something really has to be worth my while if I'm going to spend a good deal of time watching something, even if it's just a film. Neil is someone who will see a series through to the end, even if he doesn't like it, whereas I would generally give something about three episodes max, and if I can't get into it, I won't bother - I'd just rather put my time and energy into something else, but that's just me!

I actually do appreciate the visual style of EVA, and while it's probably got some real convoluted plot twists and concepts, I think under the skin of it all it's just a bunch of Japanese people that threw together a bunch of random imagery that makes no sense but somehow, it just works visually. I think it's one that needs to be taken with a massive pinch of salt, rather than being read between the lines. I've bought the manga which I intend to get my teeth into at some point in the future (my mind's just not been into doing stuff recently), but the beauty of that is, I'm not having to commit to a great length of time like I would if I was watching a series - I can just do it in small, manageable chunks. Yoshiyuki Sadomoto's designs really appeal to me as an artist, so that's an element of it that already really grabs me - his artwork is just stunning!

Hopefully someone out there somewhere has an affordable copy of the original series :)

I'm afraid though, you leave me no choice:

*Ahem*

@Neil.T - @farzam1999 DOESN'T LIKE GURREN LAGGAN! :eek::p

Yeah, anime is really a niche, and some shows are basically a hit or a miss for me. Now I just tend to watch some of the more "pointless" shows on Crunchyroll lol. I really need to get invested in a show for me to go out and buy it physically, like something I intend to watch more than just once.
But look forward to the Eva films, I usually hate mecha, but these were really good, and the first one had some funny scenes lol.

Totally! You just like what you like 🙂. I'm willing to check out some stuff that Neil owns, because I know there are shows that he really likes, so I do want to be able to watch those with him someday (inlcuding Gurren laggan :p). I tried watching Yuri!! On Ice a while ago, but honestly, I was rather disappointed with it in so many ways, namely the animation. I could see why people might like it, and it did depict a professional sport in a realistic manner, but in terms of animation, it seemed really rushed in parts, which was a let down. I also couldn't gel with many of it's characters, and there was too much in terms of inner monologuing going on for me towards the end! Maybe that's just what athletes do when they're doing their thing! 😅

It's a bit of an unpopular opinion, but I'm not totally keen on Ghibli. I can totally appreciate and respect Miyazaki as a creator, but his kind of story-telling really isn't my cup of tea generally. I like a couple of his films, but I found some of them a bit too long and hard to get into. I do own "My Neighbour Totoro" though, that's a cute one :)

But yeah, I think if you really enjoy something and you know you're going to watch it more than once, you feel like it's worth spending the money. DVD's and Blu Rays are an expense when you're buying them regularly but then, some people really are film buffs I guess, so they don't mind coughing up the cash.

nooo, please don't lol, don't hate me guys. I gave it like 10 episodes pls no, mecha is not my thing :oops::oops:

I forgive you, on account of you like Pokemon. @Neil.T will forgive you because I said so! 😉👍

Back