The General Conversation Area

Birthday yesterday, day was fun overall - only problem being only about 43 Facebook friends took the time to post happy birthday on my wall (out of over 1000).

That, to me, was very disappointing - firstly, the majority that took the time were people I hardly speak to, so it didn’t carry the same weight to me - secondly, it’s not like it’s a complicated task. 9 times out of 10 I take the time to wish others a happy birthday, yet most of the, can’t do the same back?

only problem being only about 43 Facebook friends took the time to post happy birthday
I'm sure it's of no consolation to you, Foxfire, but I'm not sure I even have 43 Facebook friends. And I'm sure if I had my date of birth added I'd be lucky to get enough birthday wishes to need more than one hand to count them.

I would've thought 43's a pretty high number.

I don't even have Facebook - or any social media for that matter. I wouldn't want even 5 people to know I'm a year older. I'm old enough as it is - I don't need to be reminded. Just let me rot in peace.

I'm sure it's of no consolation to you, Foxfire, but I'm not sure I even have 43 Facebook friends. And I'm sure if I had my date of birth added I'd be lucky to get enough birthday wishes to need more than one hand to count them.

I would've thought 43's a pretty high number.

It’s not even so much the number - every year I get to know more and more people, so if anything the number should INCREASE? My average is usually in the fifties, I think the most I ever had was in the seventies.

Even taking away the number, a lot of the people I wanted/expected to hear it from didn’t say it - I wanted to hear it from the people in the drama group at my old uni and my work mates.

From the drama group, only two current members and about four former members took the time to do it (bear in mind there’s 40-50 members, I don’t know some of the newer members and obviously I know some members better than others but I do have most if not all of them on Facebook)

As for my workmates, not ONE of them wished me a happy birthday, and these are people I regularly see every week so they should have had the incentive to say it.

Most people wouldn’t care about this stuff, but I do.

As for my workmates, not ONE of them wished me a happy birthday, and these are people I regularly see every week
Yeah, I sympathise with that. Like, I set up a FB page for a bit of arty stuff I'm doing and sent out some invites to Like the page. I think... four people took up the invite? Even people who seemed genuinely quite enthusiastic about the pics when I first posted them on my own page didn't bother.

Call it sour grapes, but I think the majority of people are just lazy and disinterested when it comes to certain things. This is why I will always be a misanthropist to some degree, personally speaking.

I basically only use social media to talk to like six people (One of them being my older brother) and to browse meme pages and the odd bit of news. I think maybe four people congratulated me on my 20th and honestly I stopped caring a long time ago.

You probably got more birthday wishes here on AUKN where people actually, you know, give a sh*t.
True dat. I never post and seldom talk to people on Facebook outside of my closest friends but here I can easily converse (and spam Dandy references where appropriate.)

Birthday yesterday, day was fun overall - only problem being only about 43 Facebook friends took the time to post happy birthday on my wall (out of over 1000).

That, to me, was very disappointing - firstly, the majority that took the time were people I hardly speak to, so it didn’t carry the same weight to me - secondly, it’s not like it’s a complicated task. 9 times out of 10 I take the time to wish others a happy birthday, yet most of the, can’t do the same back?

I'm sorry to hear that dude. I know it's late but, Happy Birthday and hope you had a nice day. Sorry I wasn't around to wish it on the day - I haven't been feeling too well this weekend.

I don't even have Facebook - or any social media for that matter. I wouldn't want even 5 people to know I'm a year older. I'm old enough as it is - I don't need to be reminded. Just let me rot in peace.

GwG, you are growing old awesomely and gracefully, as it should be ;)

Yeah, I sympathise with that. Like, I set up a FB page for a bit of arty stuff I'm doing and sent out some invites to Like the page. I think... four people took up the invite? Even people who seemed genuinely quite enthusiastic about the pics when I first posted them on my own page didn't bother.

Call it sour grapes, but I think the majority of people are just lazy and disinterested when it comes to certain things. This is why I will always be a misanthropist to some degree, personally speaking.

Misanthropy seems such a strong word Neil, but I get the sentiment - sometimes the human race can be baffling in terms of "communication" (or lack there of)!

I basically only use social media to talk to like six people (One of them being my older brother) and to browse meme pages and the odd bit of news. I think maybe four people congratulated me on my 20th and honestly I stopped caring a long time ago.

I don't bother with any social media, it's a load of !"£$% as far as I'm concerned. No interest in it; not that it matters since I don't have any "friends" to connect wiht anyway, but even if I did, damn, can't we just exchange phone numbers and y'know, call and text each other stuff? Why has it all got to be FB invites and "likes". Oh and if one more person invites me to play Candy Crush, so help me...

AAAAANYHOO! I hope you're all well ^^

P.S. @HWR - Keep being Dandy, baby! ;)

Back