The Gaming News Thread (for news that doesn't need a thread)

Official replacement faceplates for the PS5 are finally inbound in 2022. There are black ones as you would expect, but the other colour options are... unexpected, let's put it that way.
The sensible part of me is saying to just get the black ones so I don't have to worry about the default white ones yellowing over time, but... I'm weirdly tempted by the thought of a hot pink PS5.
I'm digging the purple and red ones.

I also like the purple & red ones but at the same time I think I'm in the minority that actually likes the white one.

Ps. Couldn't find a UK price anywhere, it may have been updated now though, but found something saying the US price is $55.
Still crazy for a bit of plastic but considering the unofficial ones where $70 🤷‍♂️
I'll wait until they're on sale in a year!

Those pads though........... 🤤

The white panels on the PS5 definitely grew on me, if I was to change anything it would be to buy one of those matte black wraps that go around the black glossy plastic part as glossy plastic looks terrible.

The purple controller is very nice though.

That f'ing Persona Ulitmax trailer at the game awards was the biggest kick in the balls!

Hey kids wanna continue the story of Persona 4? Well buy this game on a console that you have no way of having played the original Persona 4!!

I swear at this point I think Atlus are living in an echo chamber throwing darts at a bored to decide what to release 🤷‍♂️

That f'ing Persona Ulitmax trailer at the game awards was the biggest kick in the balls!

Hey kids wanna continue the story of Persona 4? Well buy this game on a console that you have no way of having played the original Persona 4!!

I swear at this point I think Atlus are living in an echo chamber throwing darts at a bored to decide what to release 🤷‍♂️
you're in luck
Ultimax Version – Includes all previously released Persona 4 Arena Ultimax content, including the original Persona 4 Arena story.

you're in luck

Indeed as @SAHO said was referring to the classic that is Persona 4 Golden (or at this point just a HD port of the basic version) not that Ultimax is a bad game, I own it for the PS3 and it does indeed continue the story where it left off in the base game.

Similar to how Persona 5 Scramble continues the story of Persona 5.... you know, that game that's not available on Switch 🤦‍♂️

I swear someone at Atlus hates money.

And yes I've also heard rumours of a P3 remake/remaster but at this point I'll put money on it being a bloody mobile only game!!!!!!!!!

It looks like the Amazon Fallout series is still being made. https://deadline.com/2022/01/fallou...n-dworet-graham-wagner-kilter-1234905676/amp/

Unlike other adaptations I think this one probably has the best opportunity for success, Fallout is more of a setting than a story. So they could tell practically any story they want to as long as at least the setting is realised.
They already made a pretty good Fallout movie a few years ago, it's called The Book of Eli 😂

Remember that weighty power move when Microsoft bought Bethesda for $7bn last year? Well let's brush that aside because Microsoft are buying Activision Blizzard for almost $70bn, with the expectation that the deal will go through by mid-2023.

The games industry has seen a lot of significant buy-outs in recent years, but this is a tectonic shift. Whether you play Call of Duty or not, the now seemingly inevitable situation of it becoming Xbox/PC exclusive going forward will have an impact across the industry. Bear in mind that this comes barely a year into a new console generation, and one that is still seeing hardware shortages across the board. There's a significant demographic of gamers who only buy CoD and FIFA, and for them the Playstation 5 may have just become a niche platform. How many people who have been waiting over a year for a PS5 will start looking at the relatively easy to find Xbox Series S now instead?

Beyond the question of hardware sales, how will the loss of platform fees for CoD software sales impact Sony's games development? This could affect their ability to put out those big in-house exclusives that are one of the cornerstones of the Playstation marketing strategy, or at the very least could result in more conservative projects. I'd put money on Sony's internal development frantically moving to fast-track development of a flashy FPS right about now.

From a business standpoint I think its a crazy monopoly move that considering the US government already forced Microsoft to split up once is a bit risky.

From a gamer standpoint I think its bad, and I say that as a PlayStation & Xbox gamer.
Sony has built its in-house studios over 3+ generations (but still pulls shady **** from time to time) but Microsoft saw how badly they got beaten in the last gen and is just a kid in a candy shop grabbing everything they can get their hands on while saying 'we're all about inclusion' 😂

I'm not against big studios working with smaller ones then eventually acquiring them but MS is literally buying publishing houses and shutting out millions of gamers in the hope they'll jump to xbox which is just a ****** move.

On the CoD front its been on the decline for the past few years so it's not really a big loss to PS only people as I'm sure someone will jump in to fill the void (unfortunately it'll probably be EA)

Back