The Gaming News Thread (for news that doesn't need a thread)

Re: The Gaming News Thread (for news that doesn't need a thr

The new 3DS opens up doors nintendo couldn't get through with it being not only a performance boost, but now looking to be a graphical boost too. Not only that, but with it now basically having the Circle Pad Pro incorporated into the handheld itself now, the controller possibilities are extended as well. Xenoblade is a good flagship title to launch it with, but it's handy to know they are making new exclusive titles for the machine as well. Unity might now be a possibility on 3DS, opening up a large selection of indie devs that couldn't port previously. It will require sales to lure them over of course, but considering how well the 3DS sells in the west anyways, i don't see it being too much of a concern. More a case of when than if.

Shulk being in smash was unfortunately expected, but still absolutely fantastic to see. His play style looks pretty amazing, and i can't honestly wait to get a hold of him. The fact he has his british VA still too gets another thumbs up. I guess i have to use it as that push for me to actually get round to properly playing xenoblade now too, huh.

I bought a Japanese 3DS earlier this year 9.9.

Personally, I'm mixed on the New 3DS, because:
1) The name sounds like a marketing nightmare. You'd think they would have learned with the 3DS and Wii U names.
2) The positioning of the added trigger buttons is...weird. I would have preferred if the base was slightly thicker, so it could have the triggers underneath like every other console.
3) Who decided to put the cartridge and stylus slots on the bottom?
4) How many New 3DS-only games will there actually be? The DSi saw very few exclusive retail games.

There are of course, pluses though:
1) Built in NFC compatibility, making amiibo more accessible. I imagine amiibo will work with Smash 3DS on launch now? (Although obviously, only Japan will be able to access it at launch).
2) Better CPU, including faster Miiverse and eShop, as well as an improved browser that supports HTML5.

Don't think ill be upgrading my 3DS, as long as I can still play the new Pokemon games they bring out I wont be bothered.

Joshawott said:
1) The name sounds like a marketing nightmare. You'd think they would have learned with the 3DS and Wii U names.

I actually have a feeling the name will have no real impact actually. My reasoning being that, i have a feeling nintendo may just phase out all the old models in place for these. the price is roughly the same anyways, so seeing the older models be taken down in favour of the new ones would not surprise me in the least. And after all, there isn't exactly any reason they need to have both iterations on the market at the same time, especially when the new ones have a competitive enough price as is.

Arbalest said:
Joshawott said:

I actually have a feeling the name will have no real impact actually. My reasoning being that, i have a feeling nintendo may just phase out all the old models in place for these. the price is roughly the same anyways, so seeing the older models be taken down in favour of the new ones would not surprise me in the least. And after all, there isn't exactly any reason they need to have both iterations on the market at the same time, especially when the new ones have a competitive enough price as is.

I doubt it will have an impact in Japan, but it will be a nightmare in English speaking countries. For example, if you search "New 3DS" on the internet, you'll find several websites selling sealed Nintendo 3DS units (eBay will be one hell of a nightmare xD). Also, imagine unaware parents/partners/etc going into game stores looking for a "New 3DS" and being sold a sealed, original generation 3DS.
I think in the west, it will probably need a different name. Something like "3DS+" or even "3DSi" would have worked (in terms of the rumoured CPU upgrade, it basically is to the 3DS what the DSi was to the DS).

To be honest though, I just call it "3DS: For the Sequel" at the moment because y'know, Bravely Default xD.

Interesting news from SCEJA has appeared:

Disgaea 5 has been unveiled for the PlayStation 4, NIS America have been given interest in releasing this title.

Luminous Arc Infinity was announced and will be coming to PlayStation Vita, the series has 3 instalments for the DS.

Persona 5 will also be arriving on the PlayStation 4 in addition to PlayStation 3, during a new teaser video.

Senran Kagura: Estival Versus -Shōjo-tachi no Sentaku— (Girls' Choice) is coming to PlayStation 4 and PlayStation Vita in 2015 (March 26), according to Marvelous over at SCEJA.

Uta no Prince Sama Vita was announced, it's the latest instalment for the series.

Way of the Samurai will be getting a new game for the PlayStation Vita, by Spike Chunsoft.

Ys will also be coming to PlayStation 4 and PlayStation Vita in 2015, but details other than it's in new development is unknown.

EXTRA NEWS:

Pink PlayStation Vita anyone?

Sony unveils a tech demo for Project Morpheus, by shaking your head at a Virtual Japanese Schoolgirl.

Bloodborne arrives in Japan on February 5th, with a Japanese trailer.

Resident Evil: Relevations 2 has been officially announced, arriving early 2015 in Japan.

A correction for Revelations: It's early 2015 worldwide. Though i expected errors from kotaku anyways. We'll get the characters(come on rebecca chambers) next week, and it's playable at TGS.

Persona 5 now being 2015 entirely makes sense with the PS4 support, and now we have a face and area to what we can expect. I'm looking forward to this one.

Gotta say, it looks like Japan just went into full PS4/vita support. Good news all round. Now let's see what other gems appear as we go on.

Very, very glad about the PS4 Persona news - seems like they're finally starting to develop for PS4 now over in Japan in terms of JPRG releases.

Senran Kagura: Estival Versus and Persona 5 on PS4 could be the tipping points in getting me to upgrade to the console, although I do own the PS Vita and PS3, which the two games are also launching on, respectively.

Resident Evil Revelations 2 not coming to the Wii U (or even the New 3DS maybe?) is an absolute kick in the teeth from Capcom though.

Joshawott said:
Resident Evil Revelations 2 not coming to the Wii U (or even the New 3DS maybe?) is an absolute kick in the teeth from Capcom though.

It's more of a kick in the teeth in terms of 3DS than it is WiiU, especially considering it sold the most on 3DS. Granted it had the longest time to sell the game, but it's still not been matched by the rest. They could easily use the new iteration of the 3DS as a means to improve graphics/frame rate, etc. So they can't use the "want to focus on graphics" excuse much. Plus, the integrated CPP means the control scheme will be far better to work with in the first place.

If Capcom went into Resident Evil Revelations 2 with the idea of it being on HD consoles, then I could understand why they're moving away from the 3DS, but leaving the Wii U out is still a middle finger to the Nintendo console owners who supported the original 3DS release. The New 3DS will be more powerful, but the rumoured difference in power is near enough the same difference as DS -> DSi (of course, we won't know 100% until it launches in Japan next month and people take it apart).

That decision does seem stupid though. You're right in saying that the 3DS version of Revelations sold a lot more, but if I remember correctly, the gap was even wider because the home console versions bombed.

Senran Kagura: Bon Appetit is getting a retail release in Japan. The title started off as a download only title.

The first print run will include a visual book and soundtrack CD in addition to download codes for Daidouji-Senpai and Rin plus 48-image character avatar icons. The whole set will cost 4320 Yen (£25). A bundle that contains both physical copies of Bon Appetit and Shinovi Versus will also be available for 7020 Yen (£41).

Now I'm pissed, the US and EU releases are already going ahead with digital only. I wonder if XSEED might consider a limited physical release given Marvelous Europe won't be able to.

------------------------------------

Australian PC owners rejoice, Left 4 Dead 2 will now be available uncut thanks to the R18 certificate. Valve resubmitted the game this year after the new rating was released a few years back. Console owners won't be able to get the R18 version yet as Valve said it's still being considered.

Australian owners who have the censored PC version can get a patch to access the uncut version.

amiibo are now available to pre-order at £10.99 each. They're listed for a November release, which probably means that Smash Bros. Wii U will be out then.

The first wave of figures are:
- Mario
- Peach
- Yoshi
- Donkey Kong
- Link
- Fox
- Samus
- Wii Fit Trainer
- Villager
- Pikachu
- Kirby
- Marth

I've pre-ordered Marth, Fox and Wii Fit Trainer already. Hopefully, I'll have enough money to buy them all at some point.

The Xbox One launch was.... lacking queues.

Pretty much despite having exclusives like Chaos;Noah and Psycho Pass (plus the English games Titanfall + Kinect Rivals), it looks like Xbox One has flopped completely in Japan. No surprises though since Microsoft's gaming consoles weren't that popular for the past decade (which apparently started with the red ring of death).

Back