Overseas The Discotek Media Thread (plus AnimEigo)

Finally panic brought the missing City Hunter piece of my collection.

I pray that Discotek won't be trolling us new City Hunter fans on the panel in the upcoming month where despite City Hunter S1 Complete Collection being a poor seller, they end up doing a City Hunter Season 2 Complete Collection anyway 🤡

I waited for months for it to be restocked or have a final print run and during that time, scalpers have been selling City Hunter S2 stuff for over $200
Screenshot_20240724-003600_Gmail.jpg

Finally panic brought the missing City Hunter piece of my collection.

I pray that Discotek won't be trolling us new City Hunter fans on the panel in the upcoming month where despite City Hunter S1 Complete Collection being a poor seller, they end up doing a City Hunter Season 2 Complete Collection anyway 🤡

I waited for months for it to be restocked or have a final print run and during that time, scalpers have been selling City Hunter S2 stuff for over $200
View attachment 35162

Hoping they stay in-stock until tomorrow at least as that's when I get paid 😅

Update: Part 1 already OOS, the few times it has come back has been at the worst times for me.

Last edited:
Discotek Day is almost here! On Saturday 3rd August at 11:55pm, the online version of the Discotek Media panel will be available to watch on YouTube. These are announcements that are also being revealed in-person over at Otakon 2024, however the online version will feature a few more surprises due to panel limitations (basically they have too many to reveal).

As a refresher, since the previous batch of releases, the following have yet to be scheduled for home video:

Anime:
Year:​
Audio:​
Format:​
Digimon Adventure 02
- TV Series: Episodes 1-50
Studio: Toei Animation
Japanese
Blu-ray
Digimon Movie Collection 1
~ Film: Digimon Adventure the Movie
~ Film: Digimon Adventure: Our War Game!
~ Film: Digimon Adventure 02: Digimon Hurricane Landing!!
~ Film: Digimon the Movie
Studio: Toei Animation
1999-2000
English
Japanese
Blu-ray
Reborn! Special Fan Disc
~ TV Series: Episodes 1, 20 & 77
~ & OVA
Studio: Artland
English
Japanese
Blu-ray
Sgt. Frog Seasons 5-7
- TV Series: Episodes 206-358
Studio: Sunrise
2008-10
Japanese
SD Blu-ray
Tona-Gura!
- TV Series: Episodes 1-13
Studio: Daume
Japanese
Blu-ray

AnimEigo will also be revealing some new licenses and updates of their own, and I will need to decide how to manage that considering the first page is pretty much full as it is.

I may end up remaking the Discotek thread to cover more of MediaOCD's adventures but will let the community decide on that (since they're pretty much the same crew for the most part, so to me it makes sense to keep both together on the same thread).

AnimEigo started their panel before Discotek's and here's some news from them.

GUFt7ZbaIAAYZqv

#1 - Time of Eve is coming back in print.

Previously released by Pied Piper via a Kickstarter campaign, this release will pretty much include what was already on the previous disc, with the addition of the TV version that wasn't released on home video prior. The short films 'Pale Cocoon' and 'Aquatic Language' are here as well. This will be available on AnimEigo's store for a release this December.

GUFu2nwbkAAHUJo

#2 - Bubblegum Crash is getting a Blu-ray release.

This is one of the existing AnimEigo titles in their catalogue and next in line for the HD restoration treatment. However, some of the elements aren't available so they'll be using AstroRes to make the HD presentation possible for most of the episodes. This will be available on AnimEigo's store for a release this January.

GUFvmNeawAAStxx

#3 - Full Moon wo Sagashite is coming back in print.

Previously released by Viz Media, this classic shoujo series adapted by Studio Deen will be coming to Blu-ray in HD with all 52 episodes. More information will be provided at a later date.

Q&As:
  • "Robert & Natsumi have one more Kickstarter that is a maybe. We don't have plans to do any for now as to not confuse things with their projects."
  • "Could old AnimEigo licenses be brought back? Available ones might be. Some are possible. Many were picked up by Discotek."
  • "Will liner notes continue? They aren't as necessary as they used to be. People know things like honorifics, food like ramen, etc. We're looking more at things like essays, etc. But there is still a place for liner notes."

Last edited:
Discotek streams starts in a few mins. I'll update this post for all of their 20+ announcements.

GUF8tpeXEAAMPt3

#1 - Space Sheriff Shaider (宇宙刑事シャイダー)
TOKU TIME: Live-Action Series / 1984-85 / Directed by Shinichiro Sawai

Part of the "Space Sheriff Series" within the Metal Hero Series, sequel to Space Sheriff Gavan and Space Sheriff Sharivan.

Coming to Blu-ray! "For years, fans said it couldn't be done. We said 'lol yes we can'". Presented in Japanese with English subtitles. Includes a 35-year reunion, photo gallery, karaoke opening, and retrospective essay by Mike Dent. Available September 2024.

GUF9tEMXkAE9ILG

#2 - Lupin the Third: The Italian Game
ANIME: Television Special / 2016 / Telecom Animation Film

The 25th television special part of the Lupin the Third Part IV: The Italian Adventure series.

Coming to Blu-ray! In Japanese with English subtitles. Extras include liner notes and textless songs. Available September 2024.

Discotek are aware some of the specials are currently out of print but they're looking to getting them back. Some have yet to be released on Blu-ray and some went to other publishers. There is a big Lupin news update coming but not at this panel.

GUF-8rpWMAAHJ_Q

#3 - Captain Harlock: Space Pirate
ANIME: TV Series / 1978-1979 / Toei Animation

Previously released on DVD by Discotek Media.

Coming to Blu-ray! All 42 episodes in upscaled 1080p, the same one from Japan. The materials are in good shape to which they went with Blu-ray over an SD-BD approach. Extras include Creditless OP/EDs and Broadcast Promo. Available September 2024.

GUGAMSiboAAz183

#3.5 - Reborn! Special Fan Disc
ANIME: TV Series & OVA / 2006 / Artland

A re-announcement from prior. They are releasing 3 episodes and the unreleased OVA all with an English dub produced by Sound Cadence. This is an upscale. Available September 2024.

GUGAmH2XgAAgt6G

#4 - Dallos
ANIME: OVA Series / 1983 / Studio Pierrot

Coming to Blu-ray! The first-ever OVA directed by Mamoru Oshii, and recently had a HD transfer. They can't include the English dub due to licensing issues and some extras from the DVD release can't be included here either. In Japanese with English subtitles. Available September 2024.

GUGBFO6agAE-kAA

#5 - Giant Gorg
ANIME: TV Series / 1984 / Sunrise

Coming to Blu-ray! From director Yoshikazu Yasuhiko, using a HD remaster from the original films. All 26 episodes together. In Japanese with English subtitles. Available in 2024.

GUGBbL-WMAA-Sg6

Discotek have said that these titles don't always sell well, so when they come out do get them as soon as you can, so they can get more.

GUGCDOOXUAESsk-

#6 - Space Musketeer Bismark
ANIME: TV Series / 1984 / Studio Pierrot

Coming to Blu-ray! This is the Japanese original version that was used by World Events Productions to create Saber Rider and the Star Sheriffs. This is a proper beautiful HD remaster compared to a lot of other mecha shows from its era (they weren't able to use this footage for Saber Rider due to how that show was made). All 51 episodes, in Japanese with English subtitles. Coming soon.

GUGDqxEaMAAZdn4

#7 - Kamen Rider V3 (仮面ライダーV3)
TOKU TIME: Live-Action Series / 1973 / Directed by Minoru Yamada

Coming to Blu-ray! This is the second Kamen Rider series after the original in the franchise. All 52 episodes in High Definition. Extras include interviews, cast reunion, promos, liner notes and photo gallery. Available in 2024.

GUGETpPagAAvNVE

#8 - Chie the Brat Season 2
ANIME: TV Series / 1991 / TMS Entertainment

Coming to SD-BD! This is the second series to the Chie the Brat (Jarinko Chie) series. Isao Takahashi didn't direct this one but instead it was Kazuyoshi Yokota. All 39 episodes in Standard Definition. Extras include Clean OP/EDs. In Japanese with English subtitles. Available in 2024.

GUGEf2DW0AAvnRI

#9 - GTO: Great Teacher Onizuka the Animation
ANIME: TV Series / 1999 / Studio Pierrot

Previously released on DVD by Discotek Media & Tokyopop.

Coming to SD-BD! This release features revised subtitles, the way the show was made meant it wouldn't be possible to make a HD remaster due to cells, digital and CG all mixed together.

They went with the Japanese video masters this time instead of the Tokyopop version. Bonus features like Clean OP/ED, Dub Outtakes, Interview with Creator Tohru Fujisawa are included here (whereas the original DVD release by Discotek was barebones). Available in September 2024.

GUGFZH5XUAA2fxX

#9.5 - Digimon the Movies Collection 1
ANIME: Films / 1999-2000 / Toei Animation

Still in approvals. Still a lot to be approved in Japan. There's a new English dub for all 3 original Japanese versions of the films, to go alongside Digimon the Movie. It's pretty close though, we hope to have more to say soon. Just lots of things to be approved.

GUGFunEa0AAOxKG

#10 - Digimon Adventure 02
ANIME: TV Series / 2000 / Toei Animation

Coming to Blu-ray! The same video they used to remaster Digimon: Digital Monsters Season 2, but for the Japanese version. Newly English subtitle translation. Extras include Clean OP/ED, End Cards, Production Art Galleries and others currently to be determined. A lot of the work has been approved. Coming Soon.

GUGHbEuaAAAyJhk

#11 - Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha StrikerS
ANIME: TV Series / 2007 / Seven Arc Pictures

Coming to Blu-ray! This is the third season to the Nanoha franchise, and the first never been previously released in English before. All 26 episodes. In Japanese with English subtitles. Extras currently to be determined. Available in 2024.

GUGH8OubEAAvWI-

#12 - Kiss x Sis (TV Series)
ANIME: TV Series / 2010 / Studio Feel

Coming to Blu-ray! This is the TV series that came after the OVA series (which Discotek previously released on Blu-ray). All new translation and subtitles. Extras include a cleaner version of Episode 9, Clean Opening, Extended version of the Ending dance, Episode 12 Clean ED, and various promo/commercials. Available September 2024.

GUGI1JTW4AA5NfV

#13 - Professior Layton and the Eternal Diva
ANIME: Film / 2009 / P.A. Works & OLM

Previously released on DVD by Viz Media (& Blu-ray by KAZE UK).

Coming to Blu-ray! Includes the Japanese audio track and the English dub from the video game series. Extras include trailers. Coming Soon.

GUGJpoCbgAAJcf2

#14 - A Kite
ANIME: OVA / 1998 / Studio Arms

Previously released on Blu-ray by Media Blasters.

Coming to Blu-ray! This is the 'Integral Version'. Media Blasters did a HD remaster of the whole film a while back but were flawed due to missing 4-5 mins of the second half. This Discotek release uses AstroRes to fix the issue with colour correction, framing mistakes fixed and original titles re-rendered. 5.1 & 2.0 English & Japanese tracks.

All three versions, including the uncut "hentai" version, the US general release and an unreleased (in the US) "International" version, are included here. All existing bonus features are included here, plus unseen next episode preview and an all-new documentary featurette exploring Kite's release history. When you start the disc, a censored and uncensored option will be provided. Available September 2024.

To recap, the September 2024 slate covers:
  • Captain Harlock: Space Pirate
  • Dallos
  • GTO: Great Teacher Onizuka
  • Kiss x Sis TV
  • Kite
  • Lupin the 3rd: Italian Game
  • Reborn: Special Fan Disc
  • Space Sheriff Shaider
  • Tonagura

Last edited:
This section will now cover the Livestream exclusive announcements! Stay tuned.

GUGMCp2acAAe6Aj

#15 - Humanoid Monster Bem
ANIME: TV Series / 1968 / Dai'ichi Dōga

Coming to Blu-ray! The classic 60s series, with all 26 episodes by Noburo Ishiguro. Includes some nifty TV ads. Discotek also released the live-action BEM film via Nihon Nights for those interested. Coming in 2024.

GUGMiGAbgAApwpz

#16 - Groizer X
ANIME: TV Series / 1976 / Knack Productions
Coming to SD-BD! From Go Nagai and those guys, all 36 episodes. In Japanese with English subtitles. Coming Soon.

GUGNJf9bUAABPXv

#17 - PARTY 7
NIHON NIGHTS: Film / 2000 / Directed by Katsuhito Ishii

Coming to Blu-ray! From the director of Funky Forest with anime segments in the intro. No restoration work needed. Includes extras like Making Of (20 mins), Director Katsuhito Ishii Interview (17 mins), Alternate Ending (3 mins), Storyboards (63 mins), Trailer (2 mins) & Teaser (1 min). Third Window Films have released this on Blu-ray in the UK in their Katsuhito Ishii box set. Coming Soon.

GUGN9fJXsAAXLFf

#18 - Dororo (どろろ)
NIHON NIGHTS: Film / 2007 / Directed by Akihiko Shiota

Previously released on DVD by Universal Pictures (US) and MVM Entertainment (UK).
Coming to Blu-ray! Osamu Tezuka's manga adapted into a live-action film almost two decades ago. Starring Satoshi Tsumabuki and Ko Shibasaki. Extras to be determined. Coming Soon.

GUGO5VwbsAAoK6_

#19 - RoboGeisha (ロボゲイシャ)
NIHON NIGHTS: Film / 2009 / Directed by Noboru Iguchi

Previously released on Blu-ray by Funimation.

Coming to Blu-ray! Back in print. This is the team behind Machine Girl and Tokyo Gore Police. In Japanese with English subtitles and Funimation's English dub. Extras are the same as the previous Funimation release. Available in 2024.

GUGPVuMXIAA3SJW

#20 - Electric Dragon 80,000V (エレクトリック·ドラゴン 80000V)
NIHON NIGHTS: Film / 2001 / Directed by Gakuryū Ishii (Sogo Ishii)

Coming to Blu-ray! A gonzo tokusatsu action film that Third Window Films also released on Blu-ray in the UK. A kitchen sink disc with interviews, stage greetings, concept art and more. Available in 2024.

GUGQLbbboAAOQpT

#21 - Kekko Kamen: The Trilogy (けっこう仮面)
NIHON NIGHTS: Films / 1991-1993 / Directed by Hikari Hayakawa & Yutaka Akiyama

Coming to SD-BD! First two were shot on video and the third was shot on film. These are live action adaptations of the Go Nagai manga series of the same name. All three films are together, in Japanese with English subtitles. Available in 2024.

GUGRBDda8AAQuVu

#22 - Ouran High School Host Club (映画 桜蘭高校ホスト部)
NIHON NIGHTS: Film / 2012 / Directed by Choru Han

Coming to Blu-ray! Live-action adaptation of the shoujo manga of the same name, and a follow-up of the J-Drama series (they don't have that but it can be watched standalone). Another kitchen sink disc with interviews, behind the scenes, spin-off drama short that explains why they don't reuse assets from the drama series, premiere event footage, outtakes and lots more. In Japanese with English subtitles. Available in 2024.

GUGRv0ZbUAAf7jN

#23 - Android Kikaider (人造人間キカイダー)
TOKU TIME: TV Series / 1972 / Directed by Hidetoshi Kitamura

Coming to Blu-ray! This is based on the Kikaider manga series by Shotaro Ishinomori. Considered one of the tokusatsu pantheon's greatest heroes. All 43 episodes in glorious High Definition. Extras include Daisuke Ban interview, vintage Hawaiian stage event, and retrospective. In Japanese with English subtitles. Available in 2024.

GUGSshhboAAwMBY

#24 - Special Rescue Police Winspector (特警ウインスペクター)
TOKU TIME: TV Series / 1990 / Directed by Shōhei Tōjō

Coming to SD-BD! Another Metal Hero title and the first in the Rescue Hero trilogy of shows. All 49 episodes on Standard Definition but they said it looks better than expected (was remastered on DVD in Japan). In Japanese with English subtitles. Coming Soon.

GUGT2YLbkAAke6k

#25 - MXC (Most Extreme Elimination Challenge)
TOKU TIME: TV Series / 2003-2004 / Adapted by Paul Abeyta, Peter Kaikko & Larry Strawther

Coming to SD-BD! This is the classic TNN/Spike TV dub and re-edited version of Takeshi's Castle. All 51 episodes on SD-BD in Volume 1, covering the first three seasons. Volume 2 will follow later. A few episodes couldn't be included due to licensing issues. Available in 2024.

Last edited:
From the first set of announcements I am definitely interested in picking up Lupin III: Italian Game, Dallos, GTO, Digimon Adventure 02 (JPN) + Movie Collection, Professor Layton and Kite.

I did pick up Professor Layton not to long ago but regretted getting the old limited edition as it's an awkward size and was a bit worn so I currently have it up for sale and was just going to get the standard edition but as this blu-ray will likely be a higher quality release than Manga UK's I guess I'll be replacing it with this now.

I am going to assume the upcoming big Lupin announcement will be Part 2 on BD. Other possible notable Lupin announcements I could see though would be The Fuma Conspiracy on BD, The Mystery of Mamo on 4K, any of the live-action stuff coming to BD, Lupin vs. Cat's Eye or the 40th Anniversary Master File set.

Lot’s of great titles there that I’m keen to get sooner than later - Kite was unexpected but I’ve never gotten around to picking up the various releases so the timing is good.

@Lucky_Deity I was thinking Lupin the 3rd Part 2 as well, fingers crossed!

I've been close to picking up the DVD's a few times now but there's always been at least one of them OOS though it is technically OOP now so I've been iffing and arring if to wait for a BD announcement or not so really hoping this is it, even if it's only SD-BD.

From the second lot of announcements the main thing I'm interested in picking up is the live-action Ouran High School Host Club movie which I just found existed right now.

I'm yet to watch the Dororo anime but I'm pretty sure I'll enjoy so interested in the live-action adaptation as well.

A few of the other live-action movies piqued my interest as well but nothing I'm rushing out for.

some more things to add the list, GTO being the main thing but other stuff too. As for Kite, i'll wait for someone over here to import it first and then i'll think about it.

Really looking forward to the 1968 tv series of Humanoid Monster Bem,i,ve seen the various other adaptions of Bem though the years and enjoyed most of them but really looking forward to adding this Noboru Ishiguro classic to my collection also looking forward to Chie the Brat 2nd tv series,i,ve seen most of the other announcements but still a mind blowing set of releases from discotek and amazing to see more of the tokusatsu love and more of the Metal Hero Series getting time to shine and my all time fave Kamen Rider series V3 getting a release is awesome.

From the second lot of announcements the main thing I'm interested in picking up is the live-action Ouran High School Host Club movie which I just found existed right now.

I'm yet to watch the Dororo anime but I'm pretty sure I'll enjoy so interested in the live-action adaptation as well.

A few of the other live-action movies piqued my interest as well but nothing I'm rushing out for.
The modern Dororo is a fun time. Makes me think of an unshonen jump daemon slayer 🤣

Might pick up:

• Time of Eve
  • Full Moon wo Sagashite (I'm a lot more likely to buy this if it's all dubbed as I think there is some evidence it was all dubbed even though it wasn't all released dubbed yet?)
  • Lupin the 3rd: The Italian Game
  • Giant Gorg (particularly keen to see this one, though I'm a bit sad they're not dubbing it)
  • Chie the Brat
  • GTO: Great Teacher Onizuka (but I do already own the Discotek DVD release and this is SD-BD not Blu-ray)
  • Digimon
  • Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha
  • Professor Layton & The Eternal Diva
  • Humanoid Monster Bem

Might also pick up some of the live-action stuff :)

It's good to see Captain Harlock back in print. I'll have to check the quality on the DVDs to see if an upscale is worth double-dipping, but I'm tempted to buy the BD just to have a back-up copy of this classic. It's easily one of the best Leiji Matsumoto anime.

Back