The christmas thread

evangelion rocks

Vampire Ninja
Yes it's that time of year again where jolly old saint nick is getting ready to visit little girls and boys in the night and fill their stockings(if anyone tried this at any other time of year they would be looking at a jail sentence).Have some funny festive stories to share of christmas past?Hopes for christmas future or just want to talk about the "most wonderful time of the year"?Well this is the place for it!The thread where festive thoughs and seasonal silliness collide in a multicoloured neon blur that for some reason never covers all of your tree and gives you a mild electric shock if you try to unplug it!^_^

To be honest, i kind of miss the "thrill" that Christmas once had when i was younger, all it is now is somewhat stressful because of my money situation being a student and all. Ok i have enough to get the presents i'd need for family/friends, but its the fact that i have such a tight budget that i have myself working with as is, it makes it a bit of a pain =/ Ok i'm not working at present which doesn't help, but my loan is usually enough per month.
Being totally honest, i will be happy when its over. If it where a couple of years ago, this'd be a good time to be honest, still on the plus side, i go on holiday in just over 2 weeks, so that'll be good.

Personally i love this time of year, despite being in the same circumstances as you Arbalest (though i'm no longer in Uni) even though its the most expensive time of the year i can't help but get caught up in things. Could have something to do with the fact i was born 10 day before xmas of course and that Winter is my favourite season of all

I was born 47 days after christmas, but despite all that the cold weather doesn't do me any favours.
Only and extra pair of socks and long johns to wear

No Family. No Girlfriend. No Friends. No Love! No Hope! No Point! AND SANTA CLAUS IS DEAD! I KILLED HIM! - Spider Jerusalem on Christmas.

No matter how much I might normally sympathise with Warren Ellis's embittered journalist, I've got nothing against Christmas. I like snow and getting wrapped up and walking on cold fresh mornings. I like fairy lights and pine trees. I like Christmas pudding and rum sauce, Fairytale of New York and watching Patrick bloody Stewart in "A Christmas Carol" for the tenth time.

ayase said:
No Family. No Girlfriend. No Friends. No Love! No Hope! No Point! AND SANTA CLAUS IS DEAD! I KILLED HIM! - Spider Jerusalem on Christmas.

No matter how much I might normally sympathise with Warren Ellis's embittered journalist, I've got nothing against Christmas. I like snow and getting wrapped up and walking on cold fresh mornings. I like fairy lights and pine trees. I like Christmas pudding and rum sauce, Fairytale of New York and watching Patrick bloody Stewart in "A Christmas Carol" for the tenth time.

Homophobe! You're not allowed to say that anymore :lol: Its offensive to some gays dont'cha know :lol:

Christmas is exhausting...so many family units to visit in a short time. I still find it fun wriggling around on Christmas Eve and trying to disguise everyones' presents. Last year I turned the tables on my family and made each of my parents a full Christmas stocking up (complete with oranges and nuts and all the other silly filler items we used to moan about as kids). It made my mum frighteningly emotional.

I draw the line at carols though, they tend to drive me nuts very quickly. Fortunately I live in a very multicultural area so there aren't any door to door singers or too many over the top displays.

Since I'm an atheist it's a completely pointless consumer spectacle at heart, but it's as good an excuse as any to eat lots of bad things and laze around with otherwise neglected family.

R

Spyro201 said:
ayase said:

Homophobe! You're not allowed to say that anymore :lol: Its offensive to some gays dont'cha know :lol:

Wait what? :? I want to believe your joking with that but i've a deep supsicion you're being serious..

Ayase in my household there's a certain version of Christmas Carol that always gets watched in this household :p (here's a hint the word 'Muppets' is in the titile) As for snow i'm staring at the stuff now and it never ceases to put me in a good mood...pity that its disappearing as fast at it appeared.

I hate Christmas. I hate getting presents as I never know what to get and don't enjoy spending money on things I don't like/know about. I hate Santa. I hate trees. I hate flashy lights. I hate wrapping paper. I hate slipping on snow. I hate getting hit on the nose by a snowball. I hate cards. I hate acting friendly to family members I don't like.

...Apart from my usual hates, I'm really looking forward to Christmas.

Aion said:
I hate acting friendly to family members I don't like.

That used to annoy me too. Then I had a huge verbal fight with an influential aunt and am now happily estranged from all but the interesting members of mine ;)

My family all give one another wishlists now which we circulate and occasionally deviate from if we see something awesome they'd like. It takes a lot of the stress out of Christmas shopping, and stops me getting fashionable clothes instead of DVDs too - yay!

R

I'm with Arby. I just don't feel that excited anymore. Now I prefer my birthday since it's just me that's getting stuff. I've stopped buying presents for friends, because I know they'll just forget about what I gave them and they don't seem to mind not getting any, so now it's just family.

My hates include Christmas cards, Christmas songs, snow, wrapping presents, etc.

And for the obligatory lulz:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wH2umxtA_sc&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wH2umxtA_sc&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Christmas for me......

Me and the Lads go to bedford on the train to go crimbo shopping (this sunday is the day it'll happen again)

then my usual 2 weeks i book off on annual leave to lounge around the house, fill my face with selection box's and put my christmas lights up and tinsel my room. spending time with the family and girlfriend :)

I can't say that theres ever been a christmas I havent truly enjoyed, even when I had stomach flu one year(would you believe it manifested on christmas eve of all days>_<)but even then I gave it my best shot before having to lie down for a few days!

BlackWolf said:
Ayase in my household there's a certain version of Christmas Carol that always gets watched in this household :p (here's a hint the word 'Muppets' is in the titile)

Lol Muppets Christamas carol is my favourite christamas film as well and I always watch it at Christmas :D

I'm looking forward to Christmas and I have already brought all my Christmas presents already :D

BlackWolf said:
Spyro201 said:
ayase said:

Wait what? :? I want to believe your joking with that but i've a deep supsicion you're being serious..

I'm joking yes, however Politcal Correctness isnt. Apperntly we're not allowed to call them Fairy Lights as its offensive to gays... Yeah. Its stupid.

devilrules666 said:
I am sure that we will all be acting nicely to our family members we don't like......

Heh i only have intermediate family around at xmas so its a small gathering, my aunts and uncles just don't bother anymore.

Mononoke said:
Lol Muppets Christamas carol is my favourite christamas film as well and I always watch it at Christmas

:) I think i've seen at least one every xmas since it was first released on VHS back in the mid ninities.

BlackWolf said:
Heh i only have intermediate family around at xmas so its a small g

Mononoke said:
Lol Muppets Christamas carol is my favourite christamas film as well and I always watch it at Christmas

:) I think i've seen at least one every xmas since it was first released on VHS back in the mid ninities.

same here :D

Back