New Licenses
  • Fate/Grand Order -First Order-
    Season: Winter 2017
    Streaming: Crunchyroll - Daisuki

• Granblue Fantasy the Animation
    Season: Spring 2017
    Streaming: TBA
New Trailers

I feel like maybe we should do an over-under on which, if any, non-franchise titles AoA actually releases this year...

I don't know how popular the Granblue game is, but quite frankly it seems like a prime candidate for AoA to hold but not release. We can but hope Madman doesn't become irritated by their ****** behaviour, I guess.

Not releasing is bad enough but what really gets me steamed is DVD-only releases of shows I would actually want AoA (or basically anyone other than Kaze) versions of on BD. From sensible companies like Discotek I can at least accept that DVD-only is a necessity for the time being, but when it's AoA and you know their entire business model is fleecing collectors, offering a weaker product for a premium price really annoys me. At least when they don't release, I can keep hoping (I'm still hoping that Funi are going to release Rainbow on disc any second now, even though it will long have since expired!)

The return of Blue Exorcist may have reminded me I'm annoyed about my expensive DVD copies >_>

Granblue is absolutely insanely popular in Japan but not sure how well it's done in the west. If the adaptation is not a complete flop I can see it being worth their while releasing, at least.

R

Not releasing is bad enough but what really gets me steamed is DVD-only releases of shows I would actually want AoA (or basically anyone other than Kaze) versions of on BD. From sensible companies like Discotek I can at least accept that DVD-only is a necessity for the time being, but when it's AoA and you know their entire business model is fleecing collectors, offering a weaker product for a premium price really annoys me. At least when they don't release, I can keep hoping (I'm still hoping that Funi are going to release Rainbow on disc any second now, even though it will long have since expired!)

The return of Blue Exorcist may have reminded me I'm annoyed about my expensive DVD copies >_>

Granblue is absolutely insanely popular in Japan but not sure how well it's done in the west. If the adaptation is not a complete flop I can see it being worth their while releasing, at least.

R
To make matters worse, AoA is forcing Madman to go DVD only for some of its releases, at least initially. AoA fans have been defending this, but personally I don't really see how they can excuse it.

In the case of Blue Exorcist, I believe Manga used AoA's masters. If you weren't boycotting them, that could have been a good option.

Its made so much worse in my mind by the fact AoJ seem to be fairly reasonable. Japan isn't even the bad guy here...

Out of Print Notice

T4eLS9il.jpg

Sekirei will be delisted from Funimation's catalogue and all versions will no longer receive a reprint so they'll go out of print from February 9th. The expiration includes both the first season and the Pure Engagement second season.

Hi guys I want to start buying aniplex releases but I don't know where to buy them from. When I went to rightstuf it said that every aniplex release is only licensed in america and canada only. So I am wondering where to buy them from.

Hi guys I want to start buying aniplex releases but I don't know where to buy them from. When I went to rightstuf it said that every aniplex release is only licensed in america and canada only. So I am wondering where to buy them from.
They do say that however they do ship internationally however with the rate I would suggest UPUSA due to the dodge of tax

Both Rightstuff and United Publications (Up1) sell Aniplex titles. Note that Up1 prices include customs charges but Righstuff don't

Probably should have waited for you guys to reply. Just tried rightstuf now. Not sure if you can see my attachment. Should I cancel my order?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-01-27 at 23.41.13.png
    Screen Shot 2017-01-27 at 23.41.13.png
    324.1 KB · Views: 38
I did the maths for you. That is around £219 (before handling fee) in tax you would have to pay if it enters the UK (if your not in the UK please check your local importation laws)

Worth noting that in the UK, tax is 20%. You'll also be asked to pay a handling fee, if you get caught for tax, which can be as large as £10 depending on who the courier is. (I've never used RightStuf for more than £15, so other people will be able to better advise which courier service, and therefore handling fee, you might get.)

The handling fee can be higher than £10.

ParcelForce's is £12.50
FedEx is £10 (but they will deliver your parcel first, and then send you an invoice for the VAT + handling fee)
Royal Mail is £8

I haven't found one to be higher than ParcelForce yet

If I were spending a grand on imports I don't think I'd be as miffed at a £10 handling fee than if I were to get caught importing something at £15.

Also, to the person with the 1.3k order, I feel like you're probably making a joke, but if you're not and you're sure the Aniplex releases are worth it to you (and you can still eat/pay rent afterwards), then go for it. Though I would suggest dropping the AnoHana movie...

But be aware, you could save an inordinate amount of money going with the Anime Limited releases if you're a UK dweller.

But be aware, you could save an inordinate amount of money going with the Anime Limited releases if you're a UK dweller.

I wouldn't waste your breath, certain forum members will promote the Aniplex of America release, even when there are objective benefits to buying Anime Limited's instead. I think it's best to just save your energy and use it for something really egregious instead.

I know it sounds really stupid and hypocritical coming from me of all people, but if their heart is set on AoA, let them. It's (probably/hopefully) their own money they're spending.

I think it's best to just save your energy and use it for something really egregious instead.
In that case, here's a haiku!

I bought Aniplex
Bakemonogatari
Food is optional

But seriously, I see what you're saying, I'm totally guilty of splurging on one or two Aniplex sets even though objectively it's ridiculous. Maybe I should start sending out the Monogatari Aniplex postcards to people to try and justify it.

But seriously, I see what you're saying, I'm totally guilty of splurging on one or two Aniplex sets even though objectively it's ridiculous. Maybe I should start sending out the Monogatari Aniplex postcards to people to try and justify it.

I don't think people need to justify it. Despite my seeming status as contrarian ******** in chief, even I've considered buying Aniplex of America sets -- I really want those Durarara!!x2 OVAs, goddamn it! -- It's not necessarily the purchasing of Aniplex sets that bothers me. It's the assumption that somehow their behaviour is not impeding access to anime for some people, and that isn't unfairly penalising certain fans, that really pisses me off.

I personally think it rather speaks volumes that the other Japanese companies to enter the Western market, Sunrise and NBCUniversal Entertainment Japan, haven't felt the need to force their Western partners to adapt such strategies.

A random post, but since my opinions on Aniplex have changed over the time here's a list I feel is the ideal version to own:

UK release:
  • Aldnoah.Zero
  • Baccano!
  • Blue Exorcist
  • Blue Exorcist: The Movie
  • Durarara!!
  • Expelled from Paradise
  • Gurren Lagann: Movie Collection
  • Kill la Kill
  • Nisekoi [Season 1] (a shocker I know, but it's one of the better Kaze sets out there at least)
  • Persona 3 the Movies
  • Puella Magi Madoka Magica: The Movies (Parts 1-3)
  • Sword Art Online II
  • Your Lie in April
Japanese release:
  • The Anthem of the Heart*
  • The Garden of Sinners
  • Oreimo [Season 1]
Aniplex US release:
  • Anohana: The Flowers We Saw That Day Movie
  • The Asterisk War*
  • Classmates
  • Fate/Stay Night [Unlimited Blade Works]
  • Fate/Zero
  • GOD EATER*
  • Gurren Lagann
  • The Irregular at Magic High School*
  • Monogatari (all of them)
  • Puella Magi Madoka Magica
  • Saekano*
  • Sword Art Online [Season 1]
  • Sword Art Online: Extra Edition*
  • Valvrave the Liberator
  • Wagnaria!!3
Your choice:
  • Durarara!!x2
  • Erased
*for now. Depends on how the UK & Australian sets are handled. Video quality wise Hanabee tends to fail on that front (due to the use of BD25) but if you can't tell the difference or find there's a good package to them then feel free to stick with them I won't complain.

Back