Overseas The Aniplex Thread

Nisekoi [Season 1] (a shocker I know, but it's one of the better Kaze sets out there at least)
My mind is blown that someone is actually not bashing that release for the one episode of barely-out-of-sync subtitles.

Sword Art Online II
I have AL's SAOII Part 1 and I'm actually thinking I should go AoA instead for SAOII. No pop-up menus is unforgivable.

GOD EATER
This definitely belings in a "No release" section.

The Irregular at Magic High School*
Sword Art Online: Extra Edition*
Has no-one checked what the AUS releases of these are like yet?

Your choice:
This is more "Wallet's Choice". Anyone that can afford to go AoA for these should go AoA.

I thought MVM are releasing God Eater in the near future?

I also think the AL release of Aldnoah Zero has a higher quality audio track for the English Dub. (I havent had a chance to compare both yet)

I recently just qualified as a GP so I thought I might treat myself. I've been studying most my life and now I have some spare time and money. I'm not exactly a kid, the order I put in may seem like a waste but when I really enjoy something a really like to go all out.
If I do want to buy a lot of items should I use rightstuf or UP1?

I recently just qualified as a GP so I thought I might treat myself. I've been studying most my life and now I have some spare time and money. I'm not exactly a kid, the order I put in may seem like a waste but when I really enjoy something a really like to go all out.

It's six and two threes, honestly. RS is cheaper, but with that amount of stuff, taxation is almost guaranteed, so it'd negate any saving over UP1 and UP1 orders AoA sets from abroad in a case by case basis, so the wait would probably be equally as long.

If you're in the UK, I'd probably go with UP1 for that kind of order. As at least you only have to worry about the UK postal system then.

You're looking at the following breakdown (approx: Google currency) for your US order:

£1,035 order
£210 customs (you're very likely to get hit)
£35 duty (2.5% I've rounded it down a tad)
£10 handling (possibly more depending on carrier)
£1,550 total (very approx value...)

Chuck everything in your basket for UP1 and see what figure you get. UP1 may also be marginally quicker as you won't have to wait for your customs card/letter.

Edit: Thanks @Lambadelta I've added that now, been a while since I've bought anything pricey from overseas.

Last edited:
A random post, but since my opinions on Aniplex have changed over the time here's a list I feel is the ideal version to own:

UK release:
  • Persona 3 the Movies

Inclined to disagree with this one. Those Japanese sets are reeeeal nice, plus they come with OST CDs and a few other small tatty things (stickers) that won't be in AL's set. Plus, well, AL's set isn't out yet, seems silly to compare it quality-wise with other releases when we don't have it in our hands yet. :p

Granted, those sets are pretty expensive and I only bought them myself because I'm a huge Persona 3 fan and for a long while it was looking like we'd never get a release of them before AL announced it.

A random post, but since my opinions on Aniplex have changed over the time here's a list I feel is the ideal version to own:

UK release:
  • Aldnoah.Zero
  • Baccano!
  • Blue Exorcist
  • Blue Exorcist: The Movie
  • Durarara!!
  • Expelled from Paradise
  • Gurren Lagann: Movie Collection
  • Kill la Kill
  • Nisekoi [Season 1] (a shocker I know, but it's one of the better Kaze sets out there at least)
  • Persona 3 the Movies
  • Puella Magi Madoka Magica: The Movies (Parts 1-3)
  • Sword Art Online II
  • Your Lie in April
Japanese release:
  • The Anthem of the Heart*
  • The Garden of Sinners
  • Oreimo [Season 1]
Aniplex US release:
  • Anohana: The Flowers We Saw That Day Movie
  • The Asterisk War*
  • Classmates
  • Fate/Stay Night [Unlimited Blade Works]
  • Fate/Zero
  • GOD EATER*
  • Gurren Lagann
  • The Irregular at Magic High School*
  • Monogatari (all of them)
  • Puella Magi Madoka Magica
  • Saekano*
  • Sword Art Online [Season 1]
  • Sword Art Online: Extra Edition*
  • Valvrave the Liberator
  • Wagnaria!!3
Your choice:
  • Durarara!!x2
  • Erased
*for now. Depends on how the UK & Australian sets are handled. Video quality wise Hanabee tends to fail on that front (due to the use of BD25) but if you can't tell the difference or find there's a good package to them then feel free to stick with them I won't complain.
Saekano is DVD in AUS
And I would recommend MVM monogatari only s certain people can spend £1000 on it

New Updates

C3AHNk7WQAAoEaz.jpg

Sword Art Online Season 1 will be receiving a domestic complete season box set. Details are currently unknown aside from Blu-ray only and cover art that matches the Japanese version (see picture above). If it's anything like the Madoka Magica BD-Box release, where the price was essentially the same as the three standard edition volumes combined, the SAO BD-Box may end up being $299.98 (due to each volume costing $74.98 each). However since the BD-Box is actually cheaper than my estimated guess, the actual price will probably be around $199.98 instead.

In addition Sword Art Online the Movie -Ordinal Scale- is getting an English dub.

I may consider cashing in on my S1 LE sets for this. I guess it depends just how expensive the set ends up being in the end.

New Updates

816546020828_anime-sword-art-online-box-set-blu-ray-primary.jpg

Sword Art Online: Complete Season 1 & Extra Edition (BD-BOX Edition) [Blu-ray]
Release Date: June 27th 2017
SRP Price: $199.98
TRSI Price: $159.98
Episode count: 1-25 + OVA (Extra Edition)
Audio: English, Japanese
Subtitles: English, Spanish

The complete first season and the Extra Edition OVA will be released together in one box set for an SRP $199.98 tag. The set also includes the same on-disc content as the previous sets.

Special Features: Audio Commentary by Creators and Japanese Cast, Textless Opening & Ending (Aincrad Arc), Textless Opening & Ending (Fairy Dance Arc), Special Short Animation “Sword Art OFFLINE” , Original Web Previews, SAO English Trailer, SAO II Teaser Trailer.

Compared to the ~340$ (SRP) for the SE singles (4*74 + 49 for Extra) or the ~500$ (SRP) for the LE singles (4*112 + 59 for Extra) 200$ for the whole set is clearly a big improvement in price tag.

Aniplex Japan Updates

Fate/Zero will be receiving a Standard Edition BD-Box with all of the episodes together for an SRP 27,000 Yen. English support (i.e. the subtitles) are unknown. Release date is September 20th 2017.

In addition the Fate/Zero Original Soundtrack will be receiving a standalone release on September 20th 2017 for SRP 3800 Yen. The OST was originally exclusive to the Blu-ray Disc Boxes.

Meanwhile the Monogatari: Second Season series will receive a BD-Box of all of the arcs in the Second Season (Nekomonogatari White, Kabukimonogatari, Hanamonogatari, Otorimonogatari, Onimonogatari and Koimonogatari) for an SRP 36,000 Yen. Release dte is June 28th 2017. No English support.

The third and final part of the Kizumonogatari film trilogy; Kizumonogatari -III: Reiketsu- will be available on Blu-ray on July 12th 2017 at SRP 7800 Yen. No English support.

Other Aniplex of Japan titles receiving Blu-ray Disc Boxes this year are The Irregular at Magic High School and Oreimo 2. Both don't have English support.

Meanwhile the Monogatari: Second Season series will receive a BD-Box of all of the arcs in the Second Season (Nekomonogatari White, Kabukimonogatari, Hanamonogatari, Otorimonogatari, Onimonogatari and Koimonogatari) for an SRP 36,000 Yen. Release dte is June 28th 2017. No English support.

I hope this goes stateside at some point as someone who hasnt managed to get all the singles at some point!

Aniplex of America Updates

New streaming license - Eromanga Sensei. The show is currently airing this season from the creator behind Oreimo and the same studio (A-1 Pictures) and character designer (Hanzaki Hiro).

New streaming license - Katsugeki: Touken Ranbu. The upcoming series airs this July from studio Ufotable. A trailer is available.

WAJeTNd.jpg

Kizumonogatari Part II Nekketsu (Limited Edition) [Blu-ray]
Release Date: May 9th 2017
SRP Price: $89.98
TRSI Price: $69.98
Episode count: Film
Audio: Japanese
Subtitles: English

The second film in the Kizumonogatari trilogy was announced for home release a few weeks back. This will also include a soundtrack CD and a couple extras.

Aniplex of America Updates

New catalogue license - Anohana: The Flower We Saw That Day. Originally under NIS America's handling, the TV series has been rescued by Aniplex of America and will also receive an English dub that's due for this July. Note that there are no details on the home release so this may be streaming first. The cast is also revealed:
Anime News Network said:
Patrick Seitz is directing the anohana dub and the cast is as follows:

Griffin Burns as Jinta Yadomi
Xanthe Huynh as Meiko Honma
Erica Lindbeck as Naruko Anjo
Ray Chase as Atsumu Matsuyuki
Erica Mendez as Chiriko Tsurumi
Kaiji Tang as Tetsudo Hisakawa
Kirk Thornton as Atsushi Yadomi
Laura Post as Toko Yadomi
Tara Sands as Jinta (Child)
Michelle Ruff as Atsumu (Child)
Abby Trott as Poppo (Child)
Cherami Leigh as Haruna
Brianna Knickerbocker as Aki
Christopher Smith as Manabu Honma
Karen Strassman as Irene Honma
Marianne Miller as Satoshi Honma

UPDATED: Not an official license but Aniplex have promoted Fate/Apocrypha. The upcoming series airs this July from studio A-1 Pictures. The series will be exclusive to Netflix this time around.

Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic (BD-BOX Edition) [Blu-ray]
SRP Price: $119.98
TRSI Price: $99.98
Episode count: 1-25

Magi: The Kingdom of Magic (BD-BOX Edition) [Blu-ray]
SRP Price: $119.98
TRSI Price: $99.98
Episode count: 1-25

Both seasons of Magi will be back in print on Blu-ray this time around. These two are next in line for their BD-Box Edition style releases.

And in addition, Fate/Grand Order will be localised for iOS and Android in English with subtitles from Aniplex of America. This is the mobile game that inspired the Fate/Grand Order -First Order- anime adaptation special.

Last edited:
Still kicking myself for not picking up the NISA Anohana set, which was absolutely gorgeous. I have the Australian BD instead. While an English dub alone does not justify the inevitable AniplexUSA price hike for me (don't see what else they can really offer over the NISA set), I do note that Anohana has never been released in the UK before. This could provide a good opportunity for a UK distro to step in and fix that...

Back