Overseas The Aniplex Thread

Did they?

Looking at mine, all information seems present and correct. So either they fixed it before I bought my copy or my eyesight needs testing again.

I sadly don't have access to my copy any more, but I believe there is a spelling error for the first print (I think they did fix it later).

I've got the version with the card slipcase - think that was an exclusive with the first print run though, as when I've seen copies of it now it doesn't come with that any more.

I remember Jerome saying something like if they had been releasing it now, they never would have been able to get away with releasing it together like they did. Considering they had to release SAO in parts, Aniplex must have got wise to it shortly after.

I remember Jerome saying something like if they had been releasing it now, they never would have been able to get away with releasing it together like they did. Considering they had to release SAO in parts, Aniplex must have got wise to it shortly after.

Andrew Partridge has basically confirmed on Twitter that any Aniplex titles they acquire from now on will have to follow the ERASED, 6-episode, high SRP model. I highly suspect the number of Aniplex pickups from UK distributors will decrease.

Yeah, it kinda sucks. While I can't fault the Japanese distributor for wanting to perpetutate a market that charges for multi-volume high value releases, the simple truth is that it means the global anime market essentially becomes an extension of the Japanese market, as opposed to falling in line with the UK norm - ie. good value complete season box sets.

I was surprised Anime Ltd managed to get away with doing a full cour set of DRRR x2 and Aldnoah Zero - but does this mean the future DRRR x2 sets will be split?

The trouble with Aniplex is that they're super savvy - the reason people are willing to pay so much is that 80-90% of their shows end up being massive hits, so there's always demand, no matter the price.

Yeah, it kinda sucks. While I can't fault the Japanese distributor for wanting to perpetutate a market that charges for multi-volume high value releases, the simple truth is that it means the global anime market essentially becomes an extension of the Japanese market, as opposed to falling in line with the UK norm - ie. good value complete season box sets.

I was surprised Anime Ltd managed to get away with doing a full cour set of DRRR x2 and Aldnoah Zero - but does this mean the future DRRR x2 sets will be split?

The trouble with Aniplex is that they're super savvy - the reason people are willing to pay so much is that 80-90% of their shows end up being massive hits, so there's always demand, no matter the price.

Andrew said he had been able to be more pushy with DRRR!!x2 because it was 36 episodes. (It's supposed to be 39, but let's just let that one slide...)

It's not necessarily the Japanese side pushing for this. AL were asked why France had been allowed full-cour sets of SAO II, whilst the UK release was split into 4 parts. Their answer was that Aniplex of Japan were the licensor on the French side and they had allowed full-cour sets, whilst Aniplex of America were the licensor on the UK side and they had not. The cynic in me thinks (as with the OVAs) this is not an indication of AoA's success, but more protectionism due to it's failures.

In fairness I think the Durarara situation is an odd one anyways as we know Andrew basically traded off the OVA's in order to have a full set. There was a lot in play there that wouldn't be for shorter series like Erased

I really think that wasn't worth it why DRR did we have to lose something.
Yet smaller series we have to deal with the smaller sets. DRR I would have preferred 6 half Cour sets if it got the OVAS as I enjoyed the first two a lot.

Yet smaller series we have to deal with the smaller sets. DRR I would have preferred 6 half Cour sets if it got the OVAS as I enjoyed the first two a lot.

I dunno, I have to see that due to how much of Durarara there is we'd ended up with 6 sets which is a lot for anyone. Plus the price would probably have gone up, which would have put me off. I'm upset we lost the OVA's but I definitely prefer just three sets plus the original collection.

Obviously AL didn't think it was worth it. I'm guessing it makes more sense from a sales perspective, 4 6 episode sets or whatever might be a hard sell. Wouldn't surprise me if they did start doing sets like this for longer shows though. I guess it depends on the success or failure of Erased.

In fairness I think the Durarara situation is an odd one anyways as we know Andrew basically traded off the OVA's in order to have a full set. There was a lot in play there that wouldn't be for shorter series like Erased

Do we? He contradicted himself a lot when discussing that. I listened to/read most of it because I was so pissed off about that. (I think Andrew even misinterpreted something I said on their podcast.)

I'm still not 100% sure what we can and can't say for certain about that, other than that nothing said at the time can be trusted.

Do we? He contradicted himself a lot when discussing that. I listened to/read most of it because I was so pissed off about that. (I think Andrew even misinterpreted something I said on their podcast.) I'm still not 100% sure what we can and can't say for certain about that.

I don't disagree that not everything made sense by the end of the discussions but I'm under the impression (perhaps incorrectly), that aniplex offered the OVA's as long as Andrew did more sets. Andrew refused and thus Aniplex said no, no matter how hard he pushed.

A lot of different stuff did get said but I thought that information was basically solid?

I don't disagree that not everything made sense by the end of the discussions but I'm under the impression (perhaps incorrectly), that aniplex offered the OVA's as long as Andrew did more sets. Andrew refused and thus Aniplex said no, no matter how hard he pushed.

A lot of different stuff did get said but I thought that information was basically solid?
I highly believe that was the WRONG choice as if we got the half season sets at £30 they would make the £180 a 3 £50 Cour sets cost plus £30 believed OVA collection.

Nope. Sometimes it was just a flat out "The OVAs were not available." Other times it was "The OVAs were only available if we did more sets."

He also claimed that AL as an entity had never seen it and were never told of it's existence by Aniplex. Only to reveal Kat had seen and force her to then try and claim it wasn't important on the podcast (even though you can tell from her review she very clearly enjoyed it, I genuinely felt bad for her during that bit of the podcast).

That was such a mess, I genuinely think we should just write off anything that's been said about it from AL until now...

Nope. Sometimes it was just a flat out "The OVAs were not available." Other times it was "The OVAs were only available if we did more sets."

He also claimed that AL as an entity had never seen it and were never told of it's existence by Aniplex. Only to force Kat to then try and claim it wasn't important on the podcast (even though you can tell from her review she very clearly enjoyed it).

That was such a mess, I genuinely think we should just write off anything that's been said about it from AL until now...

Yeah but more often than not Andrew did say it was because of the amount of sets, so I think that really was the truth of it at the end of the day even with other elements thrown in (like Andrew saying they just weren't available). It's crossed wires and perhaps some poor wording as not available can still be taken as not available because of the amount of sets.

I think it being important or not is simply subjective. As far as the plot go we aren't missing anything major and while the episodes are clearly really enjoyable, I personally wouldn't consider them important (despite how much I really like Durarara!!).

I highly believe that was the WRONG choice as if we got the half season sets at £30 they would make the £180 a 3 £50 Cour sets cost plus £30 believed OVA collection.

I really don't think it was the wrong choice. I only want to throw money at these sets three times, not six, when Andrew would have pushing extras to make the sets nicer and thus eventually more expensive.

Also I think an OVA set probably will happen, just a lot later on.

Back