Overseas The Aniplex Thread

So many titles to pre-order!

Glad they grabbed Kiznaiver and have at least said something on FMA:B - if they do release it on BD, I expect 5 1-cour length sets.

Stock Notice

x5kDCigl.jpg
BCISPzk.jpg

Kill la Kill Standard Edition Volume 3 Blu-ray and Otorimonogatari are both now back in stock with the usual price of $39.98/$49.98 (+$12.73 shipping) respectively.

For those interested in Otorimonogatari would be better off picking up the set through United Publications UK due to the currency rate getting weaker. UP1 offers the set at £50 + P&P which is the exact price Rightstuf is offering without customs added.

I believe the official word was not until the end of July. So I expect we'll see a mass hike at the end of July and then things will settle down.

New English Dub Trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LUfrT5hZM4

Aniplex Of America posted an English-dubbed trailer for its North American Blu-ray Disc home video release of the God Eater television anime on Monday. The trailer previews the English dub's main cast.

The series' English dub cast includes:

Robbie Daymond as Lenka Utsugi
Kyle Hebert as Lindow Amamiya
Crispin Freeman as Soma Schicksal
Michelle Ruff as Sakuya Tachibana
Lucien Dodge as Kota Fujiki
Cherami Leigh as Alisa Illinichina Amiella
Mary Elizabeth McGlynn as Tsubaki Amamiya
Patrick Seitz as Johannes von Schicksal
Spike Spencer as Paylor Sakaki
Wendee Lee as Aisha Gauche

Aniplex Of America will ship the series in two Blu-ray Disc volumes. The first volume containing the first seven episodes is slated for November 29, and the second volume containing episodes eight through 13 is slated for January 31, 2017. Both volumes will contain video interviews with the creators, trailers and commercials for the anime, deluxe booklets, and both English and Spanish subtitles.

Aniplex Of America describes the show:

In the early 2050s, unknown life forms called “Oracle Cells” began their uncontrolled consumption of all life on Earth. Their ravenous appetite and remarkable adaptability earned them first dread, then awe, and finally the name Aragami, the "Mad Gods." In the face of an enemy completely immune to conventional weapons, urban civilization collapsed, and each day humanity was driven further and further toward extinction. The year is now 2071... the domain of the mad gods lies here in the Far East. One single ray of hope remains for humanity. Following the development of “God Arcs”—living weapons which incorporate Oracle Cells—their wielders are organized into an elite force. In a world ravaged by mad gods, these “God Eaters” fight a desperate war...

The anime premiered in July 2015, and Aniplex Of America streamed the first nine episodes on Daisuki and then on Crunchyroll. The ninth episode ended last September with an announcement that the final four episodes were "coming this winter." The Meteorite arc, which includes episodes 10-13, aired in March, and Daisuki and Crunchyroll streamed the episodes.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... er/.104202

Website Anime Now ran an interview with Henry Goto, the president of Aniplex of America.
Aniplex of America was established in North America in 2005, and since, it has caused a debate among fans as to business practices in the west. In a period from around 2000 to 2005, anime was normally sold on DVDs containing approximately three episodes for the price of US$30. However, little by little, companies such as FUNimation and Sentai Filmworks began selling DVD sets containing 13 episodes--a full one-season show--for around US$40. This has since become the standard for anime fans and is why when Aniplex of America announced that its shows would be available for higher prices, arguments within the community arose.

To give a comparison, Sentai Filmworks’ first Blu-ray for the original Persona 4 anime contained 12 episodes and originally retailed for US$59.98 with no bonuses included. Aniplex of America’s first volume of Persona 4 the Golden ANIMATION contains six episodes, a soundtrack CD, a 24-page booklet, and a postcard set for the price of US$79.98. While some fans appreciate the packaging similar to the Japanese release, others seeking to complete their collection think less fondly of this choice.

During Anime Expo 2016 in Los Angeles, we got the chance to sit down with president of Aniplex of America Hideki “Henry” Goto, as well as director of business development John Inada. Goto had some interesting things to say about the pricing of Aniplex of America prices.

“Actually, our Blu-rays… share the same authoring as Aniplex Japan. We don’t put many episodes—6 episodes or 13 episodes—per disc because I don’t want to sacrifice any video quality. I think our philosophy is different. I want to release the Blu-rays for the collectors.”

Then, what about the normal viewer?

“We are pretty open to licensing our content to streaming companies like Daisuki and Crunchyroll, so [the shows] can be watched pretty inexpensively,” he told me, “People can enjoy our content any time they like. It’s not like the old days when you [could only watch shows] on TV once a year.”

Because of these prices for home video releases, however, the reports that Aniplex-issued anime licenses are expiring have more than a few anime fans worried. When I asked Goto about whether those titles will be re-released under the Aniplex of America brand or if they will remain in purgatory, he replied that he wants to examine the business opportunities for as many titles as possible, but since those series have been already released on home video, they will have to be cautious about how they approach them. He was not against relicensing those series for streaming, however.

Another thing that has fans a bit in a buzz are which titles Aniplex of America decides dub into English. Titles like Puella Magi Madoka Magica, Kill la Kill, and Sword Art Online have been given the dub treatment, and the upcoming English release of God Eater will have the same luxury as well. On the other hand, fan favorites like Nisekoi and the Persona 3 films remain subtitle-only. The latter title especially brings up debates amongst fans, as the original Persona 4 anime was released with a dub by Sentai Filmworks—and the video game the anime is based off of is dub-only.

With such popularity in both the gamer and anime fan communities, why not give the title a dub? Well, apparently, the decision not to dub the film series was made after much consideration. Despite not having an English dub, Goto told me that the film is actually quite popular in North America. The lack of dub hasn’t negatively affected other popular anime either.

“Another title—the Monogatari series—is really popular. That’s a subtitled release,” Goto added, “Do [fans] want the dubbed version? Or do they want to enjoy the original voices? We consider [what to dub] title by title.”

So many Japanese companies in the past have attempted to challenge the North American market directly and the majority have failed. When I asked how the company was doing, however, the Aniplex of America team didn’t seem very worried, telling me that their home video sales last year were their record best. And with their upcoming AkibaFest event in Los Angeles’ Little Tokyo district this October and shared sponsorship with Space Craft for a Sword Art Online concert in Hollywood, it seems like Aniplex of America is here to stay.

NormanicGrav said:
When I asked how the company was doing, however, the Aniplex of America team didn’t seem very worried, telling me that their home video sales last year were their record best. And with their upcoming AkibaFest event in Los Angeles’ Little Tokyo district this October and shared sponsorship with Space Craft for a Sword Art Online concert in Hollywood, it seems like Aniplex of America is here to stay.
I'd love to see the ANN forums right now. Scratch that, I don't even need to see it.

Nothing new that we didn't already know has come out of the article, but it's good to know that as much as people go on and on about them Aniplex USA are doing pretty well for themselves and will be around for the foreseeable future.
They're pretty much the only American distributor I have orders for over the next few months. That doesn't mean I have no issues with them though, as they urgently need to join Funimation in sorting out the quality of their bloody subtitles.

Mangaranga said:
NormanicGrav said:
When I asked how the company was doing, however, the Aniplex of America team didn’t seem very worried, telling me that their home video sales last year were their record best. And with their upcoming AkibaFest event in Los Angeles’ Little Tokyo district this October and shared sponsorship with Space Craft for a Sword Art Online concert in Hollywood, it seems like Aniplex of America is here to stay.
I'd love to see the ANN forums right now. Scratch that, I don't even need to see it.

Nothing new that we didn't already know has come out of the article, but it's good to know that as much as people go on and on about them Aniplex USA are doing pretty well for themselves and will be around for the foreseeable future.
They're pretty much the only American distributor I have orders for over the next few months. That doesn't mean I have no issues with them though, as they urgently need to join Funimation in sorting out the quality of their bloody subtitles.

From what I saw in the interview, the main new part for me was official confirmation that the Persona 3 films won't get an English dub (which they honestly should, because the Persona 3 video game dub is really good imo). On the topic of getting catalogue titles, if they're going to license more of them they better put them out on Blu-ray if available.

New/Recent Releases

The Asterisk War - Volume 1 Limited Edition [Blu-ray]
A0E3g2Mh.jpg
Release Date: September 20th 2016
Language: English & Japanese
Subtitles: English & Spanish
SRP: $114.98
TRSI: $89.98
Episode Count: 1-6

On-Disc Extra Content:
Bonus Previews
Web Previews
Textless Opening
Textless Ending Versions 1 & 2
Textless Prologue

Physical Content:
Soundtrack Remix CD “The Asterisk War Infusion Mix #1” By Composer Rasmus Faber
Deluxe Booklet
Illustration Post Cards
Package Illustrated by Tetsuya Kawakami (Character Design)
Clear Cases with 2-sided Wraps
Dou kyu sei (Classmates) [Blu-ray]
6NrvGnBh.jpg
Release Date: September 20th 2016
Language: Japanese
Subtitles: English
SRP: $74.98
TRSI: $59.98

On-Disc Extra Content:
PV & CM Collections

Physical Content:
Deluxe Booklet
Illustration Cards
Package Illustrated by author Asumiko Nakamura
Clear Case with 2-sided Wrap
Nisekoi: False Love 2 - Volume 2 [Blu-ray]
QOrY9Fyh.jpg
Release Date: August 23rd 2016
Language: Japanese
SRP: $74.98
TRSI: $59.98
Episode Count: 7-12

On-Disc Extra Content:
Textless Opening "Magical☆Styling"
Textless Ending "marchen ticktack"
Textless Ending "Toriame drop"
Textless Ending "Crayon Cover"

Physical Content:
8 collectible illustration cards
Package Illustrated by Nobuhiro Sugiyama (Character Design & Chief Animation Director)

mrclt1994 said:
Do we think The Asterisk War will be in a chipboard box, or just a wider slipcase like with Kill la Kill and Your Lie in April?

Wider slipcase. If it were rigid it would be mentioned in the special contents section on the specs.

New/Recent Releases

Puella Magi Madoka Magica - Complete Series [Blu-ray]
D4lqaEvh.jpg
Release Date: August 23rd 2016
Language: English & Japanese
SRP: $149.98
TRSI: $119.98

On-Disc Extra Content:
Trailer collection
Textless Opening and Ending
Ending theme song "Magia" music video by Kalafina

Physical Content:
Package Illustrated by Takahiro Kishida (Character Design)
4-page Insert
Clear Cases with 2-sided Wraps

In hindsight, it's still amazing to think Manga managed to get away with releasing a complete Madoka set years ago at a cheap price.

In hindsight, it's still amazing to think Manga managed to get away with releasing a complete Madoka set years ago at a cheap price.

We say this but then I seem to remember that Manga messed the spine up on that release...

We say this but then I seem to remember that Manga messed the spine up on that release...

Did they?

Looking at mine, all information seems present and correct. So either they fixed it before I bought my copy or my eyesight needs testing again.

Back