The Anime/Manga I Bought Today Was...

fabricatedlunatic said:
Aion said:
There's seriously nothing in Yugo that stands out and makes it worth watching.
I watched the first disc late last night and, though it pains me to admit it, you're absolutely right. The plotting is slow and straightfoward, the characterization is woefully simplistic (I had to laugh at the comically evil antagonist), and the dancing girl made me roll my eyes in disbelief. You know writers don't have much faith in their story when they roll out the scantily clad woman with big tits.

Why does it pain you? I'm never wrong. The problem is that lesser folk are arrogant enough to think that they're right and cannot accept that what I say is on the money.

The only (and I mean only!) thing I liked about the first half of Yugo was the relationship between Yugo and the hot/mute/dancing girl. Once she went out of it after the first arc ended I couldn't give a toss (in more ways then one!).

It was painful seeing Yugo randomly become a religious extremist of sorts towards the end of the first arc: He somehow survived his skin being burnt off without it hurting him by reciting some religious rubbish. It was impossible to take the show seriously after that.

...oh well, that's ADV for you: Bringing as much average anime to the UK as humanly possible. It makes me wonder if the people who picked the shows they licensed actually watched them beforehand or picked the names out of a hat.

I'm guessing that it's just a case of the licences being cheap and they bought as many as they could hoping they were in on a winner. I can't think of any other reason why they'd licence half the shows they did.

Manga: MPD vol 6, Kurosagi Corpse Delivery S.vol 7, Loveless vol 8, Welcome to the NHK vol 8, The Art Of Vagabond: Sumi and Water, Kujibiki Unbalance vol 1, SDK vol 30, Crimson Spell vol 2, Sand Chronicles vol 3.

Sy said:
I'm guessing that it's just a case of the licences being cheap and they bought as many as they could hoping they were in on a winner. I can't think of any other reason why they'd licence half the shows they did.

I wonder this a lot about some UK releases. We're a weak market already; I can't imagine titles like Yugo The Negotiator and Salaryman Kintaro exactly sell like hot cakes. Even amongst the cheap, average series I'd imagine something with catgirls, superheroes or robots would generally get more interest from casual buyers than these, well, boring-sounding series!

Having said that a disturbing number of us here do seem to have picked up Yugo. Mine arrived today so I'll give it a bump up in priority now I hear there's a "scantily clad woman with big tits" involved ;)

I'm not expecting greatness but it should be entertaining enough for the cost of entry.

R

Rui said:
I'm not expecting greatness but it should be entertaining enough for the cost of entry.
It's mildly entertaining - the second disc was a marked improvement over the first by virtue of something actually happening - but ultimately the show promises more than it delivers. Set your expectations low and you'll be all right.

In the interest of making at least one on-topic post in this thread, today I received the fifth volumes of Eden and Welcome to the NHK.

fabricatedlunatic said:
In the interest of making at least one on-topic post in this thread, today I received the fifth volumes of Eden and Welcome to the NHK.

Technically, you're still off-topic since this thread is for what you've purchased; not what your postie has chucked at you. :D

I won an auction for 'Snow Fairy Sugar' Vol. 1-3 an or so ago. Going on the character design and trailer, it's the most girly/gay anime in existence; the sort I wouldn't usually go near unless forced to do so. It's too bad it had to be an OOP Pioneer/Geneon release...

I also just ordered the following from Secondspin (they have a free shipping/20% off code working again):
Boogiepop Phantom: Evolution 2
Used DVD - Price: $1.18

Boogiepop Phantom: Evolution 1
Used DVD - Price: $3.99

Boogiepop Phantom: Evolution 3
Used DVD - Price: $2.23

Boogiepop Phantom: Evolution 4
Used DVD - Price: $3.19

Nadia - The Secret of Blue Water: Battleground
Used DVD - Price: $2.94

Nadia - The Secret of Blue Water: The Motion Picture
Used DVD - Price: $3.19

Nadia - The Secret of Blue Water
Used DVD - Price: $3.82

Nadia - The Secret of Blue Water: The Dark Kingdom
Used DVD - Price: $0.62

Nadia - The Secret of Blue Water: Aboard the Nautilus
Used DVD - Price: $1.10

Nadia - The Secret of Blue Water: Prophecy Fulfilled
Used DVD - Price: $1.02

Nadia - The Secret of Blue Water: Nemo's Fortress
Used DVD - Price: $3.10

Gravion Zwei, Vol. 1: Eye of the Storm [With Artbox]
Used DVD - Price: $2.14

I'm going to have to make another order after they ship the above in order to avoid customs.

After being disappointed by the Escaflowne movie, I found myself wanting to watch the Esca TV series that's faded from my memory over the years. As I didn't want to watch it on my monitor and knew about the fairly cheap R1 Anime Legends box set, I ordered that for $28 + $4 shipping from DVD Pacific.

It's too bad I didn't order it when $28 = £14 - I picked a bad time to order R1 stuff when the dollar strengthening against the pound has resulted in $28 now equalling £16...

I also made another Secondspin order once my first had shipped, ordering the remaining 3 Nadia volumes SS had (they had 10/11) and a few other goodies. Here's my 2nd order:

Order 2 ($24.77) said:
Area 88, Vol. 1: Treacherous Skies [With Box]
Used DVD - Price: $1.90

Rumbling Hearts, Vol. 1 [Starter Set]
Used DVD - Price: $3.18

Nadia - The Secret of Blue Water: The Secret Cave
Used DVD - Price: $3.99

Nadia - The Secret of Blue Water: Nadia in Love
Used DVD - Price: $4.06

Nadia - The Secret of Blue Water: Nadia's Island
Used DVD - Price: $4.62

Ai Yori Aoshi Enishi, Vol. 1: Fate [With Box]
Used DVD - Price: $7.02

Grabbed some missing volumes of Saiyuuki Reload Gunlock from SSpin's sale since they're Geneon (thanks for the tip!). The pound sucks right now but it was still a good deal. I don't like Saiyuuki that much but I'm so close to the end and Geneon exploding can't stop me watching in case something actually happens! Plus Hakkai is pretty.

Also grabbed DBZ box 1...can free up some space from my singles.

I hated Escaflowne when I first watched it but it got a lot better when I tried again and got far enough to see more characters, some of whom were more interesting. Good luck with it, Aion!

R

I managed to get Vol. 1-7 + box of DBZ after a seller on eBay listed it in an area most don't look at. It only cost me £5.50. :D I watched the 4th episode randomly when testing a scratched DVD and discovered where where the Shippuuden animation team got their pacing ideas from...

When I watched Escaflowne in the past it was on my daaaark 17" CRT monitor. Back then I'd only just started downloading, so I was still downloading LQ TV-rips via Kazaa with my 1MB connection. I'm hoping the experience will stick in my memory better this time around when I watch it in DVD quality, with a slightly bigger screen.

King Jimmeh said:
At Midlands Expo I picked vol 1 of each .hack//XXXX and .hack//GU+

I buy too much .hack// stuff xD
LIES! I'm to get .hack//4X, though... I'll looksy at my Waterstones next chance I get.
Never can there be "too much!" :D

Ordered some manga to keep me going for a bit.

Blame vol.1, 2 and the Prequel Noise. Looks verrry interesting. Like i'm not on enough series already.

And Aria vol.1

Today's Japanese imports:

Mell's [Black Lagoon OP] debut album "Mellscope" (first pressing) - included a nice big poster, the case is shiney/metallic digipak design with a large booklet with pictures/lyrics/etc; absolutely beautiful release.

Revolutionary Girl Utena "OST/CD remaster boxset", includes 10 CD's (drama, soundtracks mainly, and music only included in this release) - comes in a thick chipboard box with nice artwork on, and an absolutely huge booklet with all the lyrics/information for each CD, plus character profiles/art, must be at least 100 pages; stunning release, and I'm glad I got my hands on it. Now I'll be waiting for the Blu-ray release when it eventually comes, and let Japan finish milking the DVD release with the HD master they just did (absolutely effing pointless waste of time for all parties releasing it on DVD, but there you go).

Didn't get too much today, but got:

Naruto volume 6(manga)
School Rumble volume 9(manga)
Fruits Basket volume 4(manga)

Also considering pre-ordering part 2 of the first one piece series soon enough, what with it due out soon.

Back