The Anime/Manga I Bought Today Was...

melonpan said:
US imports:

Tsubasa Chronicle DVD 7 limited edition (with the artbox that caused so much controversy due to lack of continuity...)

Black Lagoon 2nd Barrage DVD 1 limited edition (comes with a steelcase with bonus disc and space for the other 2nd Barrage discs - extremely sexy looking and damn it's good to hold a Geneon product in my hands!)

To Heart thinpak collection (comes in a nice chipboard artbox, as per usual with Rightstuf products <3, 4th disc came out of the hub and is scratched quite badly though)
These looks so good....

Bought the set of Yugo the Negotiator. It's either going to bore me to tears or be brilliant but at that price it was worth the gamble!

Not that I'll watch it for a while as I'm working my way through a backlog from heaven.

R

Rui said:
bore me to tears!

This.

Yugo is a low budget and dull series. There's nothing great about it at all, the series not even going into detail about Yugo's character since both stories featured are simply random rescue arcs. I dropped it after watching the first half of the series.

A series with lots of talking and little action needs top quality direction, an amazing soundtrack and intelligent dialogue...basically, it needs to be Death Note. Yugo isn't anywhere near Death Note's league in the chatty anime rankings.

I bought Yugo too in the hope of something along the lines of Master Keaton but like Aion said, it comes across as being pretty low budget and although not entirely awful it'll have you dropping off a few times during each episode. It's just below being mediocre. I dropped it after about 6 episodes I think.

Sy said:
I dropped it after about 6 episodes I think.

Same as me; right before the Russia arc. The series being split in two, with different directors working on the stories, did nothing for Yugo - It made the first half seem totally worthless when it was forgotten like it was. It would've been a better plan to try to build one solid story...although, going on the quality, a 13 episode version of the opening story arc would've sent viewers to sleep.

...oh well, it wasn't bad for £1 or £2 per DVD (I think £2).

Aion said:
...oh well, it wasn't bad for £1 or £2 per DVD (I think £2).
Indeed, it's worth that but not much more. Licencing a bunch of series like this which exercise in mediocrity is probably why ADV bombed so bad and so quickly.

Love the harsh reviews of Yugo guys, makes me want to see it more - haha. I'm not expecting too much but I do have a bit of a habit of liking things that other people find mind numbing so we'll see how it goes (if I hate it, watch me never mention it again to try to gloss over the shame).

R

I bought Yugo the other day, too, and the negative views expressed on this page worry me somewhat - or they would if Death Note wasn't cited as having intelligent dialogue :p

But the authors of The Anime Encyclopedia seem impressed, calling it "one of the more interesting anime of modern times". My tastes generally run closely to theirs, so I should get some enjoyment out of it.

fabricatedlunatic said:
I bought Yugo the other day, too, and the negative views expressed on this page worry me somewhat - or they would if Death Note wasn't cited as having intelligent dialogue :p

But the authors of The Anime Encyclopedia seem impressed, calling it "one of the more interesting anime of modern times". My tastes generally run closely to theirs, so I should get some enjoyment out of it.

Let me put it this way: If you rate Yugo 6/10 or higher after rating Death Note 6/10 then you have the worst taste in anime EVER. Unlike DN, it's low budget, has a crap soundtrack and has a poor story (thanks to both stories being forgettable and not revealing sod all about Yugo). There's seriously nothing in Yugo that stands out and makes it worth watching.

About the Anime Encyclopedia, are we talking about the same Encyclopedia that has incorrect information even in the V2 release? I wouldn't take recommendations from a book with errors too seriously. :p

Aion said:
There's seriously nothing in Yugo that stands out and makes it worth watching.
I watched the first disc late last night and, though it pains me to admit it, you're absolutely right. The plotting is slow and straightfoward, the characterization is woefully simplistic (I had to laugh at the comically evil antagonist), and the dancing girl made me roll my eyes in disbelief. You know writers don't have much faith in their story when they roll out the scantily clad woman with big tits.

It reminds me of an old James Bond film more than anything else, except the protagonist keeps getting beaten up and has no charisma.

Back