The All Purpose Mobile Suit Gundam Thread

Your Amazon.com order of "Mobile Suit Gundam Complete Collection Part 2" has shipped!

Yeeesssss!!! I was getting nervous this wouldn't come out what with all the kerfuffle.

Also! Does anyone know any good sites/forums for help with Gunpla? I just got a basic starter set consisting of an RX-78 and a Zaku unit. 8)

Mine arrived back on January 18th, I should probably have said so in here!

Afraid I don't know much about Gunpla, I stay well away from it for fear of spending all of my money.

R

How'd ya manage that? Never mind, as long as it gets here. Really looking forward to watching the whole series, rather than the edited movies.

As for the Gunpla, I know what you mean. I wanted a kit for ages but they've always been expensive whether you buy from home or abroad. I recently sold a load of old games I never played to pick up this starter set, £30 including delivery from ebay.

5409263364_63e8a41a38.jpg

Kaede said:
Your Amazon.com order of "Mobile Suit Gundam Complete Collection Part 2" has shipped!

Yeeesssss!!! I was getting nervous this wouldn't come out what with all the kerfuffle.

Also! Does anyone know any good sites/forums for help with Gunpla? I just got a basic starter set consisting of an RX-78 and a Zaku unit. 8)
http://www.hlj.com/ (the shop)

have a series of (very) useful videos at
http://www.hobbylink.tv/category/gunplatv

range from absolute beginners guides to reviews of new PG kits

Yeah thanks for the link, Reaper gI! These should really help. :)

Another Gundamuuuuuu question: Will Bandai continue support the US region 1 releases of Unicorn on DVD? :S

EDIT: Just to tag on to this question, I have no intention of ever getting a Blu-Ray player.

Ta!

I don't believe Bandai are planning to continue to release Unicorn on DVD in the west. The blu-rays were just direct ports of the Japanese version (same discs), so that will still be obtainable no matter what happens, but the DVD version would require them to actually do work. And as they no longer exist in that capacity, it seems unlikely that they'll be able to.

According to a glance at Amazon, the DVD singles in Japan come with the English subtitles as well, so if you want a R2-friendly alternative there's one there.

R

Joshawott said:
The Japanese Gundam AGE and Gundam SEED HD Remaster blu-rays will have English subs.

Guess we know how AGE will be released outside of Japan then >>

Wow. Is this seriously how Bandai are choosing to play the game now? Because if so they can consider my business with them as a purchaser of moderately priced anime well and truly concluded. Beez prices were one thing, Japanese prices are a whole other.

ayase said:
Joshawott said:
The Japanese Gundam AGE and Gundam SEED HD Remaster blu-rays will have English subs.

Guess we know how AGE will be released outside of Japan then >>

Wow. Is this seriously how Bandai are choosing to play the game now? Because if so they can consider my business with them as a purchaser of moderately priced anime well and truly concluded. Beez prices were one thing, Japanese prices are a whole other.
I can sort of understand with the HD remaster of SEED; as a HD re-do of a 10 year old show is obviously going to be aimed at the hardcore fans. However, I can't help but feel that, considering AGE's target audience, it will be a massive fail over here. The older fans who would have the money to spend if they wanted to, will pass it over, while the younger ones who this might have appealed to will never know.

There's no evidence that AGE is coming over like that. This is just an option for people who want it and don't mind importing (it's increasingly common to pop existing English subs onto things even if no worldwide release is coming). I don't want to see AGE that much, so will not be bothering. It's still possible a US/UK company will pick it up for a more mainstream release with a dub and TV deal etc.

The SEED sets seem like a good option, but I'm not in the mood to upgrade that yet. The R1 DVDs for SEED were horribly glitchy though so it's a possible purchase one day when I am feeling richer.

R

Rui said:
There's no evidence that AGE is coming over like that. This is just an option for people who want it and don't mind importing (it's increasingly common to pop existing English subs onto things even if no worldwide release is coming). I don't want to see AGE that much, so will not be bothering. It's still possible a US/UK company will pick it up for a more mainstream release with a dub and TV deal etc.

The SEED sets seem like a good option, but I'm not in the mood to upgrade that yet. The R1 DVDs for SEED were horribly glitchy though so it's a possible purchase one day when I am feeling richer.

R
Yeah, after all, Tiger & Bunny has subs on their release, but Viz are still releasing it in the U.S. with a dub.

I have the region 2 Anime Legends Gundam SEED releases, so I don't feel like buying a 50 episode series at Japan prices when I purchased all 50 in SD for less than what one Japanese BD will cost me xD

Gundam home video releases tend to be a bit cheaper than "normal", too, for anyone who is interested. AGE will almost certainly (I could look, but can't be bothered atm) come with four eps per disc after the first one, for instance.

Gundam has been given a mention in today's Guardian.

Streaming on YouTube's TV channel you'll find four series of Japanese space saga Gundam. It's a classic of the "plucky young chap learns to pilot a giant robot from inside a cockpit in its head" genre. 1979's Mobile Suit Gundam was the first, with the Principality of Zeon launching a war of independence against the Earth Federation – starting a massive franchise that's still going today.

So now that AGE has completed its first two generation arcs, what are people's thoughts on the series ahead of generation 3?

Personally, I think it is a good series but only good, I like the three generation plot device and there have been some great episodes but I have also found it inconsistent and more than a bit cheesy at times. So while I'm enjoying it, it is never going to challenge my top 5 Gundam shows.

Ian Wolf said:
Gundam has been given a mention in today's Guardian.

Streaming on YouTube's TV channel you'll find four series of Japanese space saga Gundam. It's a classic of the "plucky young chap learns to pilot a giant robot from inside a cockpit in its head" genre. 1979's Mobile Suit Gundam was the first, with the Principality of Zeon launching a war of independence against the Earth Federation – starting a massive franchise that's still going today.

Wowza.Great to know I spent £50 on the DVDs when I could have Youtube'd the whole thing. Oh well.

I'm currently on episode 24 of Gundam079. It's awesome (proper anime) and has THE MOST annoyingly catchy theme tune ever.

Orgun said:
So now that AGE has completed its first two generation arcs, what are people's thoughts on the series ahead of generation 3?

Personally, I think it is a good series but only good, I like the three generation plot device and there have been some great episodes but I have also found it inconsistent and more than a bit cheesy at times. So while I'm enjoying it, it is never going to challenge my top 5 Gundam shows.
I have to say, I think AGE is probably the worst series for some time. Maybe the worst TV series in the entire franchise. It's watchable at least, but I just can't get behind any of the characters, the 'three generations' premise has been squandered by rushing through the second arc and a lot of the time, it makes even less sense than a Gundam series usually does. Which is barely any sense at all.

Episode 28 was just excruciating. In the previous episode, they set up the fact that The plan was to crash land on earth all along. Then within 20 minutes, that plan is undone... after everyone concerned has waited a year to get round to getting on with it. Then you have an utterly bizarre scene where the Vagan commander appears to execute the Earth prime-minister because he no longer needs him, all the while ignoring the fact that Flit Asuno, supreme commander of the enemy forces, is standing right next to the braindead pawn, flapping his expositionary yap for a good minute. Seriously, kill him. Merry Christmas, war is over. And then, bam. New Generation.

I know it's always fashionable to hate on the new series, but I actually liked that they were taking AGE in a distinct direction... but it's difficult to care all that much when it's so sloppily put together. Oh well, they got my merchandise money. I grabbed a AGE-1 and an enemy suit when I was in Japan. For my nephew, mind you :p

Actually, I'm curious about how the show is doing in the ratings in Japan. Because the way they rushed the conclusion of Asemu's arc (and the hardly explosive way they started Kio's) kind of makes me wonder whether they aren't being prepped for cancellation. It's not like there's no potential in the show if they do keep it on the air... Asumu is surely going to come back and mix things up at some point. But overall, I'm confused as to what we're even supposed to feel about the main antagonists and the original main character. I don't feel like they're keeping it all ambivalent. It just feels poorly written.

Last edited by a moderator:
the show will be so much better if Flit dies

arc 2 is my fav so far, probually due to the Seed feel

Last edited by a moderator:
Back