Summer 2016 Legal Anime Streaming Thread: The Backup Cut

Did ReLife air in Japan last season? Just wondering why it's able to be released all at once and why it wasn't simulcast.

Seems like there might be at least a couple of shows that I'll try this season, although I'm still struggling to catch up on last season (or should that be next season and this season...).

Crunchyroll | Simulcast Addition Update (Corrections also)

de7546b457fbc34c54c6c16b9c21747e1467138670_full.png

Active Raid Second will be available for regions Worldwide outside Asia. It will be airing every Sunday at 6:00pm.

ef706560a737fbebb1df0827f983494a1467145951_full.png

Rewrite will be available for regions North America, Central America, South America, United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand. It will be airing every Saturday at 5:00pm.

Smeelia said:
Did ReLife air in Japan last season? Just wondering why it's able to be released all at once and why it wasn't simulcast.

Seems like there might be at least a couple of shows that I'll try this season, although I'm still struggling to catch up on last season (or should that be next season and this season...).

No. All of it launched in a special app in Japan last week. So we're technically a week behind, but CR aren't the only service to be getting it all in one go.

I see, so it's not really a Crunchyroll thing and a bit different to what Netflix tend to do. Still kind of an odd idea, though presumably it would have made for an easier to manage production schedule since they wouldn't have absolutely needed an episode finished for each week.

Smeelia said:
I see, so it's not really a Crunchyroll thing and a bit different to what Netflix tend to do. Still kind of an odd idea, though presumably it would have made for an easier to manage production schedule since they wouldn't have absolutely needed an episode finished for each week.

Hulu did a similar thing in the US. Launch all episodes on the same day for subscribers and then make an episode free a week.

It's an interesting strategy and I'm torn on it. Yes, it could help improve production schedules, but it also makes it harder to talk about and discuss series. Would Re:Zero or Konosuba have had the same impact if they'd launched all their episodes on the same day? Probably not. And something like ERASED would have died if it has launched all 12 episodes at once...

Buzz201 said:
Hulu did a similar thing in the US. Launch all episodes on the same day for subscribers and then make an episode free a week.

It's an interesting strategy and I'm torn on it. Yes, it could help improve production schedules, but it also makes it harder to talk about and discuss series. Would Re:Zero or Konosuba have had the same impact if they'd all launched on the same day? Probably not. And something like ERASED would have died if it has launched all 12 episodes at once...
That's a good point, though I'd imagine shows with weaker/deceptive first episodes would benefit (Tanaka-kun would be a recent example) as might shows which otherwise "get better" after a few episodes.

If it became the norm and led to improvements in working conditions within the anime industry then that could be nice (not sure how likely that'd be though). From a fan point of view, I think weekly is probably the better option. I like to watch shows at my own pace so being able to marathon the whole thing at once (or watch groups of episodes or whatever) is an advantage but I could just wait for the whole show to be out to do that. As you say, some shows just wouldn't work as well if they're out all at once. People could try to pace themselves but it wouldn't be quite the same as having a fixed schedule. You wouldn't really be getting the anime "sooner" either, it'd just be delayed until it's finished (though it'd hopefully at least lead to less mistakes and higher quality).

I suppose it could also end up costing more in some ways, there'd be ongoing expenses and if it takes longer to get the product out then it'll take longer to start getting the money in.

d95f1d57004c9d3412500fa3b29a410b1467148228_full.jpg

Qualidea Code will be available for regions North America, Central America, South America, United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand. It will be airing every Saturday at 5:30pm.

BlackStrat said:
I think setting this as you forum signature might prove to be a good energy investment.

NormanicGrav said:
[spoilerbutton]
aoIFO8j.gif
[/spoilerbutton]
My man.

Why would I waste time watching a series when I can't guarantee I'll be able to see every episode? Until/unless the series comes out entirely in Japan and they confirm there's no OVAs, or the UK distributor confirms it has said OVAs, I shan't be watching...

(Or maybe I will, I'm incredibly weak willed.)

Oh I wasn't questioning the validity of your dislike for Aniplex, just suggesting a way to save you from going insane by having to type your disappointment away every time.

Funimation Summer 2016 Line-Up ROUND 2

Cheer Boys!!
The Disastrous Life of Saiki K.
The Heroic Legend of Arslan: Dust Storm Dance*
Puzzle & Dragons X

*US & Canada only

325a4bee600f553e98dc395ec796803c1467233639_full.png

The Highschool Life of a Fudanshi (Fudanshi Kōkō Seikatsu) will be available for regions Worldwide outside Asia. It will be airing every Tuesday at 4:00pm.

a29820b645a1266524ceb1581fce2f3c1467231694_full.png

Sweetness and Lightning (Amaama to Inazuma) will be available for regions Worldwide outside Asia. It will be airing every Monday at 6:35pm.

NormanicGrav said:

The Highschool Life of a Fudanshi (Fudanshi Kōkō Seikatsu) will be available for regions Worldwide outside Asia. It will be airing every Tuesday at 4:00pm.

Dare I ask why that guy's shoulder is censored?

Buzz201 said:
NormanicGrav said:

Dare I ask why that guy's shoulder is censored?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

947748bf484a949ce2bd116db09b12711467262550_full.png

Food Wars! Shokugeki no Soma: The Second Plate (Shokugeki no Souma: Ni no Sara) will be available for regions USA, Canada, UK, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, Latin America, the Middle East and North Africa, Netherlands, Scandinavia, Turkey, Austria, Bulgaria, Comoros, Czech Republic, Estonia, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Poland, Portugal, Republic of Croatia, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain.. It will be airing every Saturday at 3:00pm.

CmNuOfEWIAQfMJa.jpg

Love Live! Sunshine!! will be available for regions UK & Ireland on behalf of Anime Limited. It will be airing every Saturday at 3:30pm.

Back