Subtitled Gonzo anime online hours after airing in Japan

Jayme said:
Seriously? I tried to watch it on CrunchyRoll, It was literally watching a load of grey pixels. The YouTube version looks much more promising, Strange, I know. (And its been uploaded since April Fool's Day, Odd no one picked up on that.) >__>

I have yet to check out BOSTtv's version, Its still "coming soon".
Think it's depended on your downloads speed and how many people are trying to download it at once. It parts my free version was quite good (download quality), other bits were youtube on a bad day.

There are no visible artifacts or anything, it's just the bitrate is incredibly low, the video's coming from the same source so the 333MB version should be really great.

You know I think they've actually put the blocking there deliberately to persuade people to buy the download, which is a good thing. Everything they've done on Crunchyroll does a very good job at persuading people to buy if they hadn't thought about it before, offering extras if you donate more, and putting a very poor video quality stream out.

Brilliant work. Now one can only hope more animation houses like Gonzo will join the party.

Taking the RRP as the price, and assuming you have five episodes on a disc, each episode costs about $6.

Assuming that each series sells a few thousand to about ten thousand units, if that many people donate to CrunchyRoll, this is going to make a hell of a lot of money. I highly doubt that the people who buy DVDs are going to stop because of these downloads, either. I'm certainly not going to, so basically this is going to open up a whole 'nother income stream.

These really are "good times".

A lot of people seem to be donating more than $5 as well, which is encouraging. I think a lot of people just didn't realise how anime is produced or what licensing is.

Also, it took me a bit less than a minute for the entire stream to download, and assuming I'm using all my bandwith (which seems to be about 600kb/s now, that's very roughly less than 1MB/s, so the stream is probably around 40-60MB, probably a lot less though because I doubt I'm downloading at 600kb/s.

Meh, 15 people donated $5 or more... well it's a start at least :D. Maybe the list only shows the top 15.

Is it just me or is Druaga fairly bad? The pace of the story seems crazy fast, stuff is just happening without any explanation. The animation is cheap Gonzo, meaning tons of stills and speed lines. Apparently this is based on a video game or something? I'm not feeling it, at all. I just skipped through and it's looking like there's some kind of tentacle attacking girl action as well? Yes, it's glamorizing tentacle rape. It's clearly a satire/comedy based on poking fun at the conventions of fantasy/video game/dungeon adventure style things.

It seems better than Dragonaut; which was damn awful. Its based on one of them turn based fantasy epic's from the early 90's, (Screenshot). It does give that vibe, I'm only half way through, It is setting things up and very, very blatantly. Its obviously shonen. I think you summarised what I got from it very well with "It's clearly a satire/comedy [...]"

I think I may keep watching.

EDIT: I disliked the ending somewhat. The description is very untrue, I was expecting a epic of sorts, When in return I got a show that feels very much like Lucky Star. Overall, I found it quite funny, so I probably will keep watching if it doesn't get overshined by To-LOVE-Ru (And its awesome OP), Geass, Real Drive and Soul Eater.

Paul said:
Is it just me or is Druaga fairly bad? The pace of the story seems crazy fast, stuff is just happening without any explanation. The animation is cheap Gonzo, meaning tons of stills and speed lines. Apparently this is based on a video game or something? I'm not feeling it, at all. I just skipped through and it's looking like there's some kind of tentacle attacking girl action as well? Yes, it's glamorizing tentacle rape. It's clearly a satire/comedy based on poking fun at the conventions of fantasy/video game/dungeon adventure style things.
Think this is the joker in the deck rather than the whole pack. The first and last bit where serious, while the middle was 'just a dream' and a ridiculous one at that. So what it might be is they want to introduce stuff / foreshadow stuff in this silly manner to begin with, then tackle the real stuff later

Jayme said:
It seems better than Dragonaut; which was damn awful. Its based on one of them turn based fantasy epic's from the early 90's, (Screenshot). It does give that vibe, I'm only half way through, It is setting things up and very, very blatantly. Its obviously shonen. I think you summarised what I got from it very well with "It's clearly a satire/comedy [...]"

I think I may keep watching.

Dragonaut got 50,000 downloads for episode 1, and 30,000 average for the rest of the series, so 30,000 is pretty good isn't it, and that was from Bittorent alone. Crunchyroll has 4million users, so that's great.

If a few of them donate, it will probably be a success. (In Druaga's case).

Anyway, the pictures that Druaga's had posted around look absolutely epic. I can't wait until it gets a DVD release...

To be fair, I think I was being a bit harsh with my last post (can't really judge an episode after seeing 5 minutes :) ). Having seen the whole thing now (via Crunchyroll streaming). It was fairly amusing in some parts (I started laughing at the constant misnaming of the poor "Black Knight"). A bit like Rune Soldier, it was nothing special, and the concept art is totally misleading, but I thought it was quite good light entertainment with some sharp/random humor. Wasn't what I was expecting at all. I'll probably try the download option with Blassreiter tomorrow. Also, the subtitles were perfectly fine through-out (well, not that I'm a native Japanese speaker or anything, but it seems okay). All in all, very impressed!

Well, I have just watched the first episode of Druaga and can say that I thouroughly enjoyed it :). The subtitling was well done and seems to be a good translation with quality easily up there with US subtitles. I watched on BOST TV (season subscription) and the quality was fairly good - not quite as good as a DVD but it did look nice in fullscreen on my 26" widescreen HDTV. The streaming did stutter a little but it is possible to pause the video and play it when it has finished downloading or has downloaded a fair chunk.

Something that I can definitely see myself using and enjoying in the future :).

Oh, I get it, it's a joke on the old style of things cuz he's wearing the Orgional TOD armour...hahaha. Joke gotten.

What the hell did I just watch?

It was pretty good, but I ended up watching it in low quality because my mum's out, and I don't know her card details.

How long is it going to be available for? If it's up for the week (or long enough) before episode 2 comes out, I might download and re-watch it tomorrow.

Just watched a bit on the PSP download (MP4) and it looks to be excellent quality, which I can also watch in good quality on my TV via said PSP.

Would either of you guys mind screen-capping something from the video you downloaded and posting it up? I'm just interested to see how it looks in that quality (it's easy to do in VLC Player under the "Video" menu option). It sounds perfect though and I'll go with the Xvid version for Blassreiter.

Lupus Inu said:
Elaniel said:
It seems the way it's worded they mean like a donation or something. You decide what it's worth I guess o_O
If it's from Gonzo, chances are it won't be worth much. >_>

How can you say something like that from the creators of so many fine anime! =D

Chaz said:
It would be nice for Crunchyroll to have an "about" or FAQ page. I don't understand it myself.
How's it set up? And choose how much to pay? That sounds fishy... if not confusing. (I thought about a charity box when I heard this... It's a "give what you can" approach.)

I believe they took the idea from Radiohead aproach to sell their latest album.

Paul said:
I'm really excited about this, it could be the start of a new era.

If you put some though to it, it's the same as television (in countries other than UK, that has a TV tax). You don't pay to watch, you just have to buy one. So in other words, you won't pay t watch once in decent, but limited quality.

If you want to keep it, you pay up a symbolic price. I would even extrapolate and say that they should start offering a dubbed version for fixed (but still low) price.

If you really love the stuff you can buy the special edition.

melonpan said:
At least it's keeping the mainstream fans happy. They'll watch anything.

I guess I'm your average mainstream fan =) Love quality, but it doens't mean I can't enjoy if video quality is a bit poor. I found the crunchroll video quality ok. Maybe I should visit my doctor (=

chaos said:
melonpan said:
At least it's keeping the mainstream fans happy. They'll watch anything.

I guess I'm your average mainstream fan =) Love quality, but it doens't mean I can't enjoy if video quality is a bit poor. I found the crunchroll video quality ok. Maybe I should visit my doctor (=

Oh don't get me wrong, I love anything, it just seems to me that a lot of people who watch a lot of anime seem to have very refined personal tastes and don't like certain shows or certain animation houses because of whatever reason they have... I just love it all so yeah. There's always criticism within a community, but mainly people will just go with it and/or love it!

As for above, I'm confused as to whether or not people are talking about BOST or CrunchyRoll. It seems to me like BOST's download service is still not working (I figured out that you get a promotional code by e-mail to watch the first episode free), so either it's my browser not showing a download option, or you have to buy the season pass to be able to download the PSP and iPod versions. I gather BOST doesn't have an XVID version, just the PSP and iPod ones. But Crunchyroll has the 333MB XVID video (for playing on a TV or computer, like really good fansub quality), along with H.264 encoded PSP and iPod videos, which again you have to pay for.

I got the impression from BOST that the download would be included free for the first episode, though.

All in all, it really seems to be going down very well. As mentioned earlier some people have paid $30 for the single episode.

Way to go Gonzo.

EDIT: Ah BOST has prevailed, I see the download option now, it's a shame they aren't offering the XVID version though, I'll see what the iPod and PSP ones look like though.

Wish you could get the best of both worlds though, BOST provide some awesome notes, but CrunchyRoll provide a really good quality file.

Looks like an impressive service! and hopefully some better (imo) anime studio's can rise up to gonzo's attempt to clamp down on fansubs this way rather than sueing all the various fansub groups.
I think its a very good idea that they are using multiple sites so theres a choice like with any fansub you download and you also have the freedom of choice over quality, although i wasnt fussed on "The Tower of DRUAGA" AT ALL! Seemed like another game conversion anime to me so i watched the intro and OP and that was enough to turn me off. Shame gonzo havent really made a generally inovative and high quality anime since "Welcome to the N.H.K" but then again im just being picky with gonzo. I hope BLASSREITER starts off well as i havent seen an anime like that since Karas.

Back