Subtitled Gonzo anime online hours after airing in Japan

Not really bothered by the prospect of downloading, would be so uncomfortable sitting in front of the computer to watch it. I would rather wait six months or whatever for the DVD, as I much prefer to sit down in front of my projector screen and home cinema sound system and get that big screen feel the first time I watch anything.

Although this as a whole may force some of those so called fans to come clean and admit they just want stuff for free, rather than the old argument that fansubs get the shows to them quicker.

Okay, that's pretty odd. Only the opening is working.

It's an awesome opening anyway. I rarely get a chance to see anime nowerdays, but this really gives me a chance to. Really great stuff.

Only thing is the resolution and bitrate are piss-poor, so I won't be continuing after I see what the subtitles are like and the download quality once BOST gets this working properly.

Do they save the vids for you to download then? I mean, they have a library of videos in the anime section, so I wonder if they are treated the same way?
This is what I mean about not having a "beginner's guide" to the site... Although, Blassreiter looks interesting. (Although ANN has no real info on it...)

melonpan said:
It's an awesome opening anyway. I rarely get a chance to see anime nowerdays, but this really gives me a chance to. Really great stuff.
Indeed it is, I wasn't going to be that bothered about these two shows, but, I'm interested, a lot, after watching that OP. This says something about me but I look forward to a show with a OP as nice as that. My preconceptions failed me.

No karaoke, though. I can't sing along. :twisted:

Jayme said:
No karaoke, though. I can't sing along. :twisted:

Haha, yeah I would have expected more from something that's meant to be a legal alternative for fansubs, especially when you're paying for it.

BOST TV got the time wrong as well, says it was meant to be working at 6:15 PM today, which was when the site was still undergoing maintenance. (Unless my browser's still messed up).

Still no sign of the rest of the episode though, and I have no idea if there's something special I need to do to make it work because of the idea that everyone can view the first episode free if they signed up before April 2nd.

I'm really not to keen on BOST's video quality actually, and the way they're handling this (given that it's only just started, they're not doing a brilliant job at making ti work). I might just go to CrunchyRoll, apparently they're offering some "free animated badges". Yay, badges *can't control excitement* :| (Only if you donate though, and still no sign of HOW you donate).

All these services really are slow at getting the message across.

Yeah I'm kind of just really jumping the gun here. This is just so incredible exciting.

Now BOST's video is down.

This really is just something anime industry fans have dreamt of for years and now it's becoming reality.

hopeful_monster said:
melonpan said:
Unsuprising. Pretty sure we'll break Crunchyroll, if not the internet. :roll:
CrunchyRoll's is working, Their cool HD feature has been turned off. Which is a bit sad, probably to get people to download. I imagine a lot are in my situation (because of age) when its difficult to purchase online due to the lack of debit card. That is the only main fault I see with things like this.

Hmm interesting.

CrunchyRoll more or less force you to download it, due to the video quality of the stream being worse than mostly all fansubs I've ever seen (and I've seen some very poor fansubs).

If only I had paypal I'd probably download it, but I don't, so I won't, for now.

Also, they don't mention the size of the file, but contrary to what their website said they are actually offering a normal sized download, which is surprising. Xvid encode, I'd wish they did some other versions such as H.264, or an HD upscale or something. But meh, this should please 99% of people.

Jayme said:
hopeful_monster said:
melonpan said:
Unsuprising. Pretty sure we'll break Crunchyroll, if not the internet. :roll:
CrunchyRoll's is working, Their cool HD feature has been turned off. Which is a bit sad, Just to get people to download. I imagine a lot are in my situation (because of age) when its difficult to purchase online due to the lack of debit card. That is the only main fault I see with things like this.

The second I went to the buy page though, there were already three people who had paid for the episode, that's an average of about £3 an episode, which is mad.

This could well be a major success, you never know.

melonpan said:
We're hoping, Also it's a xvid, We know that, But, There are HD Xvid's and I imagine this one is because of the massive file size (332.6MB). I've seen amazing looking HD H.264 170MB files, mind you. If anyone downloads this, A screenshot or similar would be nice.

I imagine they'll pop up eventually, anyway.

Some people are donating £5's, as well. ;D

EDIT: I just noticed that the smaller PSP, iPod files are H.264, so they must know what they are doing format-wise.

Jayme said:
melonpan said:
We're hoping, Also it's a xvid, We know that, But, There are HD Xvid's and I imagine this one is because of the massive file size (332.6MB). I've seen amazing looking HD H.264 170MB files, mind you. If anyone downloads this, A screenshot or similar would be nice.

I imagine they'll pop up eventually, anyway.

Some people are donating £5's, as well. ;D

Oh, 333MB is really good. This is pretty well done.

The ridiculous amount of "oh noes I can't watch it" "WTF I NEED LOG IN"'s are funny. All the negative comments seem to have been deleted though, like mine about the video quality being poor. So much for freedom of speech.

BOST's is still coming soon, but I imagine it will be much higher quality.

This is really quite something. There seems to be a hell of a lot of hype around this as well. Success~~!

For a low quality video stream, the picture is very good. Much better than the vast majority of stuff you'll find on YouTube. Looking at this, I'm expecting the download will be up to the standard level of a fansub too. It won't be DVD quality, but no fansubs are.

Paul said:
For a low quality video stream, the picture is very good. Much better than the vast majority of stuff you'll find on YouTube. Looking at this, I'm expecting the download will be up to the standard level of a fansub too. It won't be DVD quality, but no fansubs are.
Seriously? I tried to watch it on CrunchyRoll, It was literally watching a load of grey pixels. The YouTube version looks much more promising, Strange, I know. (And its been uploaded since April Fool's Day, Odd no one picked up on that.) >__>

I have yet to check out BOSTtv's version, Its still "coming soon".

I think I spoke too soon, the video quality is pretty bad. Very blocky. I've uploaded a screen-cap from Cruchyroll; the subtitles aren't bad, but there are no song subs for the opening theme. As Jayme says, it's better on YouTube.

Back