Studio Ghibli season on Film4 through out August

I've been brought up hearing nothing but English (and a bit of French, German and Cantonese at school) and that's specifically why I like to hear films and music in other languages. I cannot tolerate mundanity and sameness, so the difference in language adds to the escapism factor. The script of the subtitles also tends to be a more accurate translation than the dub, but even considering all of this I find the voices in the original version of Nausicaä rather annoying. Likewise, someone who normally only watches dubs might think the same of English version of Laputa.

The only words I've learnt just from watching subtitled films are really basic things like 'yes' and 'no'. Most things I learn from reading about them, but hearing them used in animé helps to remember them much more that I would otherwise have done.

Well these films WILL be shown dubbed, ive checked the synophsis in the TV guide mag and its says for The Castle Of Cagliostro - A Japanese animated film, dubbed in English.

I'm glad they are going to be the dubs, i prefer most of the Ghibli dubs to the subs, plus i think it's more viewer friendly.

I've heard they are advertising this Ghibli season on channel 4 now, i havn't seen the adverts yet, but my mum said that she saw a good long one some time after Big Brother last night

keyblade_master uk said:
I might watch a sub soon, for learning to speak japaneese. but for now, i'm sticking with english

Well it seems that they are goind to show both subbed and dubbed versions. You could watch each one and decide if you like it or not. :p

Personally, I don't mind either. But a bad dub is very annoying. I cannot watch the dubbed version of Kiki's Delivery Service because it is pretty bad. (IMO)

7zark7 said:
keyblade_master uk said:
Personally, I don't mind either. But a bad dub is very annoying. I cannot watch the dubbed version of Kiki's Delivery Service because it is pretty bad. (IMO)
I personally quite like that dub. Phil Hartman made an excellent (but very different) Jiji and I've no complaints over Kirsten Dunst. Laputa is a dub I'd rather not watch again though. So very wooden, especially Anna Paquin *shudder*

I have been really enjoying being able to see some truly classic anime films.

After watching fansubs, I have always hated english dubbing, but it's been bearable enough for me.

Porco Rosso was excellent, and the only decent dub I have seen.
Castle in the Sky, even though Pazu sounds 21 years old, is good aswell, but i prefer the japanese version.

Also, I now officially love the Catbus.

Denizen said:
Porco Rosso was excellent, and the only decent dub I have seen.

Managed to remember this was on last night so taped it before going out, really looking forward to this, will hopefully get a chance to watch it this evening

kupoartist said:
7zark7 said:
keyblade_master uk said:
I personally quite like that dub. Phil Hartman made an excellent (but very different) Jiji and I've no complaints over Kirsten Dunst. Laputa is a dub I'd rather not watch again though. So very wooden, especially Anna Paquin *shudder*

I would agree on the two leads in Laputa, but i would say Dola is really the star of that one, and its a change to see Miyazaki do an outright villain, and Mark Hammil does a great Muska. I also think lots of the minor parts are very good there as well.

Managed to sit down and watch Porco Russo for the first time last night, absolutely Breath-Taking, the dub was brilliant in my opinion however I will have to invest in the DVD so can watch the subbed version too.

Really enjoyed it from start to finish one of the very best studio Ghibli films IMO

Kudos to Film 4 for showing the Ghibli films. Also showing is 'Grave of the Fireflies' on Monday 14th (late night showing)

Necromancer said:
I watched Grave of the Fireflies (or Graveyard of the Fireflies as Film4 had it titled as :lol:) last night, 1st time I've seen it subbed.

Dammit wanted to see that one, bloody work is killing this anime season for me

BRILLANT

It turns out that they are showing the films in subs the second time round

I'm pretty sure someone mentioned that earlier in this thread.

Anyways, it sounds sooo much better : )

Back