Spring 2015 Legal Anime Streaming Thread

I have no idea how they're still going. I wish they weren't. But you're right, Sony must keep funding them for reasons unknown. I actually cannot think of a single reason to use that service. CR's got it right with their freemium model. I oppose paying to access most of the content when I'm not sure how much of it I'll like.

st_owly said:
I have no idea how they're still going. I wish they weren't. But you're right, Sony must keep funding them for reasons unknown. I actually cannot think of a single reason to use that service. CR's got it right with their freemium model. I oppose paying to access most of the content when I'm not sure how much of it I'll like.

It wouldn't surprise me if they closed soon - Sony has already ditched its in-house music player on Playstation in favour of a Spotify link-up, so I can only presume the Animax thing is something initiated by the Japanese end and is being subjected from the top down globally.

That's quite possible. Sony has been known to make incredibly stupid decisions before. Animax is quite a well known brand in SE Asia so maybe they're hoping to push it further, but if that's the case, then why the UK and not the USA?

It would be so easy to make Animax less awful - I like Viewster more and it streams on a delay and doesn't even have an ad-free option (I hate ads). Why Animax still hasn't bothered putting a single improvement in place after all this time is beyond me; it's not as though people have been shy about giving feedback about what sucks about it.

I'm glad I don't like Nisekoi but the news that they have other titles to announce fills me with dread. No matter how much I like something, I would rather wait for a disc release than watch a terrible Animax stream. Hopefully their other new shows are the Anime Limited titles (and hopefully they'll go up on other sites too).

Oh well, good news that Crunchyroll has more Danna!

R

For me, Animax stream = region unblocker on CR, if that's not possible, Wakanim if it's an Anime Limited show or if no legal non-Animax option, then illicit methods.

I need to look into Viewster.

This does beg the question - is CR going to be stuck with a load of second-tier shows, with the UK locked out of all the good stuff?

This is obvious going to turn into the same situation as the Winter line-up, where Funimation picks up a bunch of titles (which to be honest there's quite a lot of shows in this season that works well with them) and Crunchyroll gets a few with some European titles.

My guess is that Funimation will have about 15-17 simulcast titles and Crunchyroll will have about 10-13 titles (less if we get region blocked or are in-fact J-Dramas).

Since Funimation now has Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan, Ninja Slayer and Show By Rock!!, here's my second guess on the rest:
- Blood Blockade Battlefront
- Food Wars!
- Ghost in the Shell: ARISE Alternative Architecture
- The Heroic Legend of Arslan
- High School DxD BorN
- My Love Story!
- Seraph of the End
- Yamada-kun and the Seven Witches

Possible:
- He Is an Ultimate Teacher
- Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon?
- Kyoukai no Rinne
- Punchline
- Triage X

On another note, since I've found out that Animax have more titles to announce they may have some Funi titles. So I'm guessing:
- My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU 2
- Ninja Slayer: The Animation

My gut feeling was that Ore Monogatari/My Love Story and the dungeon one seemed likely CR pickups, but time will tell I suppose. In any case, it seems like anything I particularly wanted to watch from this season will likely be region-locked out or wind up on Animax. Hopefully Viewster can pull something out of the bag.

I have mixed feelings about Dungeon Pick-Up Girls, as I read the source light novel a few months back and found it sort of underwhelming - it's very much a poor man's Sword Art Online. Still, it's sort of charming in the way light novels often are - just because of the phrasing and stuff, and it does shlocky fantasy tropes well in the same way the likes of Chaika did.

I suppose it's down to the anime to try and inject a bit more personality into it - if the light novel is anything to go by, it'll probably be pretty fanservice heavy (which is weird, as many of the character designs aren't that attractive in my opinion)

Looks like Pony Canyon USA may have licensed Sound! Euphonium (Hibike! Euphonium) based on their tweet so it's pretty much guaranteed to appear on Crunchyroll.

NEW TITLE!

The Labyrinth of Grisaia (Grisaia no Meikyuu) (Special)
Now available on: Crunchyroll
Previously Unavailable

The Eden of Grisaia (Grisaia no Rakuen) (2nd Season to Fruits of Grisaia)
Previously Unavailable

-UPDATE-

Funimation have High School DxD BorN, as expected.

-UPDATE #2-

Ace of the Diamond -Second Season-
Previously Unavailable

Naruto Shippuden is also now available across all territories with more subtitle language options to be available soon.

I think it'll be interesting to see how many of those Funi titles get a 'broadcastdub', and if Seraph of the End does (pretty obvious choice) will AL get a look in? :)

Seems like time is running out for what'll actually available on CR for UK viewers - it's looking pretty damn poor at the moment.

The only other scenarios I can imagine are:

a) Funimation finally get their act together and open their streams up to UK viewers.

b) The UK rights for all the stuff Funi has got has been nabbed by Viewster instead of CR (which would certainly be an interesting move)

c) None of this stuff will actually be available for the UK, in which case we're pretty much screwed.

CR must realise that these are the kind of situations that could cause them to lose subscribers? (though I imagine the US is much more of a priority for them than the UK)

14%252B-%252B1.png

Back