Spring 2012

Haiyore! - a marked step-up from the shorter ep series preceding it, the show has a really good energy to it. Nyaruko herself is the kind of crazy that you can't help but love, and it seems to know that it is in a fairly crowded area of modern LN adaptations, and has to be careful to make itself stand out.

Tasogare Otome - Silver Link delivering pretty well here I would say. The visual ticks that people don't seem to always love are largely toned down, but it was still structurally the most playful ep 1 of the season.

MaxonTreik said:
ilmaestro said:
Uchuu Kyoudai - The show that I instantly associate in my head with Maxon. Outstanding ep 1, really cool premise.
I'll take that as a compliment
Absolutely man, I don't know why but it just struck me as exactly the kind of quality show/characters you would really enjoy.

Jormungand - This is probably going to sound stupid, but I had no idea what to expect from this show, and it somehow felt nothing like what I expected, and better than I thought it would be.

There is an extent to which if you name your show about anything to do with Norse mythology it will make me interested, but this managed to call to mind maybe a (slightly more) light-hearted Black Lagoon, or CANAAN if Alphard had been the main character. Both of those are positive, for me.

(Her name is) Koko (she is loco) must end up in the running for best character of the season, and knowing that the manga is already finished and they are giving the anime the in-vogue breathing space of a split-season run, I am pretty hype for this now.

Lawrence said:
I did but then I gave up on anime...
<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Gd9OhYroLN0?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Gd9OhYroLN0?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Lawrence said:
I did but then I gave up on anime...

In fairness though, I can't help but wonder if you've watched/read the series, if you're saying that.
Neither, it sounds (from opinions I've read, as well as at first blush) terrible, and there are way too many series going this season.

I was just wondering based on your comment about Accel World, but maybe I'm remembering that wrong.

I would be worried for my sanity if I was reading ANN, it is just a sentiment I have seen in forum posts and the like. The gun trivia aspect does sound more interesting, though.

Space Brothers (Uchuu Kyoudai)

What I said: I'm really interested in this and the PV looks great as well, it looks to be one of those really interesting Space stories that I love, rumor has it that it could be 48+ episodes, we'll soon find out.

What I thought: I really am in love with this show so far, Mutta's unemployment problem in the first few episodes is totally relatable, in matter of fact, most of the things he does makes him a very realistic, which not a lot of anime can do.

Not much, I can fault with it so far, I like the new characters introduced and it has a lot light hearted humor. In the run for my favourite of the season

Fate Zero S2

What I said: No brainer, I can't wait to continue watching this.

What I thought: Again, I really love the production value put into Fate/Zero and it has already been shown in this first two episodes, not much to say since it still is an awesome show.

Medaka Box

What I said: Considering this is a popular on-going manga and it's been animated by Gainax of all studios, it will be worth looking into.

What I thought: Maybe I was being a bit too optimistic with this because, so far, Medaka Box hasn't truly impressed me.

I don't know why yet, I do like the character interactions and the arcs so far, have been fun but it just feels like another SKET Dance, just this time, it's been animated by Gainax. Not bad but not impressed.

Eureka Seven Ao

What I said: I think I watched the first season a year ago, so I can't wait to watch this sequel, I would imagine this would be easily picked up by Crunchyroll or Anime On Demand.

What I thought: Crunchyroll or Anime On Demand: WHY U NO PICK THIS UP ლ(ಠ益ಠლ

Totally loved this first episode, Ao seems to have left a better first impression compared to Renton and the animation was top notch as well, thanks to bones.

What you left is my personal reaction: GIVE ME THE NEXT EPISODE!!

Sakimichi no Apollon

What I said: Pretty awesome that I watched Cowboy Bebop back in January, so I have that soundtrack stuck in my head currently, so a story about Jazz music? Sign me up!

What I thought: All that was needed was a simple drum solo to totally convince me, that the Jazz in this show is going to be special.

I wasn't expecting Apollon to be more lighthearted than I thought it would be, but, the characters are interesting and the Jazz influence is well referenced.

Needs a few more episodes but again, a runner for best of season.

Upotte! (Dropped)

What I said: It's Xebec, and by the look of the anime description, it's either going to be enjoyable dumb fun or an unfunny irritating fan-service show, I hope for the former.

What I thought: Now that I've seen the concept in anime form, I hate it already, not because of the pointless fan-service and average comedy.

I just hate due the fact that they present a gun as cute and horny girl in front of a male adult, in the first episode. It's not funny, it feels uncomfortable and wrong.

I should be take Upotte! seriously, I know that but, the way it's presented itself and considering I don't like guns, I want nothing to do with it.

(I have not watched Haiyore Nyaruko-san yet, but i've heard it's the better Xebec show)

Lawrence said:
Reevothemusefan said:
Upotte! (Dropped)

What I said: It's Xebec, and by the look of the anime description, it's either going to be enjoyable dumb fun or an unfunny irritating fan-service show, I hope for the former.

What I thought: Now that I've seen the concept in anime form, I hate it already, not because of the pointless fan-service and average comedy.

I just hate due the fact that they present a gun as cute and horny girl in front of a male adult, in the first episode. It's not funny, it feels uncomfortable and wrong.

I should be take Upotte! seriously, I know that but, the way it's presented itself and considering I don't like guns, I want nothing to do with it.

Joke
--------
Head

I hate to say it but it's only uncomfortable and wrong because you aren't able to appreciate the literal transition between gun and girl. She is little the embodiment of the gun, a personification in its simplest sense. A weapon is made to be used and that is why she desires to be touched in such a way during the first episode.

However, the point of the little girl being the gun in the series is that, since they aren't human, there is no moral issue with sending it off to war in place of a person.

On the otherhand though, the reason the girls aren't killing machines is because there is more than one use for a gun. Just because it can kill, doesn't mean it has to. Which is why it is important for them to have a personality, because it's just as important to know when to shoot as well as when not to.

The series however does pick up, the first chapter/episode isn't the best but it isn't the worst either. This is perhaps as offensive as the series gets, aside one rather amusing chapter.

In fact, the gun battles are pretty well handled through out, with almost as much, if not more focus than the certain parts of the story - humour- that you dislike so much.

So I would encourage people to reconsider their stance on the series. Simple because it isn't for the sake of catering to creepy otaku.

Having an interest (preferably healthy one) in guns and weaponry does help though.

First of all, I wanted to re-edit one of my sentences, since I rushed to write my views on Upotte!:

This:

I should be take Upotte! seriously

Should of been this:

I know I shouldn't be taking Upotte! seriously

Yes, I know that Upotte! is a comedy and I've read your strong stance on it.

I just feel that it left a awful first impression for me, I believe you when you say that there are better and more amusing chapters in the manga, that will most likely make it in the anime.

Plus I don't want my personal views to reflect how everyone else feels about it and I don't want my views to say not to watch Upotte!, I know people who might like it.

I still stand by my statement though, I didn't like Upotte! and I don't want to watch anymore of it, there is a lot of enjoyable anime this season anyway.

I haven't watched everything this season but I have enough to make a ranking of all the shows that have impressed me or not.

I'll edit in Hyouka when I watch it tonight.

I Love:
Lupin III - The Woman Called Fujiko Mine
Space Brothers
Kids On The Slope
Eureka Seven AO
Jormungand
Fate/Zero 2nd Season

I Like:
Tsuritama
Polar Bear Cafe
Mysterious Girlfriend X
Sankarea
Tasogare Otome x Amnesia
Hyouka

Not the impressed with:
Medaka Box
Kore wa Zombie Desu ka? of the Dead
Rock Lee & His Ninja Pals

Dropped
Upotte!
Sengoku Collection

Really happy that I have a lot of Loved/Liked shows that i'm enjoying this season.

Thought i may as well say what i have to say on the four i'm watching:

Space Brothers(Uchuu Kyoudai) - I took a liking to this series from the get go. Loving all the characters in it so far, the general feel of the series, and i enjoy it's plot to. Mutta carries the show very well. Sure Hibito is the other main character, but i like how it's focus is on his older brother instead. It feels like a series about dreams, heck i'd say that best describes it, and it works fantastically well.

Sakamichi no Apollon(Kids on The Slope) - Jazz has always been my favourite style of music, so it was no surprise that i picked this up. From the start, it's packed to the brim with fantastic music, good characters, and i enjoy the feel of it.

Lupin III - Lupin meant i was watching it anyways, but i had no real idea what to expect. It's an approach on the series i never expected, since everytime i think about Lupin, it's about Lupin. This focuses on Fujiko and works wonders in it's execution. The action is there, comedy is there, style, everything you want in the Lupin series, and it's just so good. The art style is gorgeous as well. Koike has done a fantastic job with it, giving it that 70s vibe. Heck, it feels like there is no CG thrown in there at all, and it's better for it.

Hyouka - This aired just in the last day, so i got down and watched it earlier today and despite my issues, it's good. I was worried from the get go that they may have K-onified the art too much that it would take away from the seriousness of the show. It's meant to be a mystery series and slightly more darker/serious tone to what KyoAni normally do, but the art actually works nicely alongside it, heck the animation is pretty darn stunning. The characters are quite interesting too, especially Chitanda. It certainly has potential, though the episode count caught me off guard. 21 seems a little odd, unless they plan to include OVAs(i know there is one out next year) as well. Will be able to judge better from episode 2 mind you.

So far:

Love:
Lupin III: The Woman Named Mine Fujiko

Think is Okay:
Polar Bear Café

Undecided with:
Medaka Box (Watched one episode, unsure if I should watch more).

Hate:
Sengoku Collection (Absolute shite).

Since I have got myself fully up-to-date for the first time since the opening couple of weeks of the season, let's have a massive run down:

S Tier

Uchuu Kyoudai/Space Bros
Fujiko Mine
Natsuiro Kiseki
Jormungand
Sakamichi no Apollon/Kids on the Slope
Hyouka

A Tier

Kimi to Boku s.2
Sengoku Collection
Accel World
Tasogare Otome/Dusk Maiden
Tsuritama
AKB0048

B Tier

Kore ha Zombie desu ka OF THE DEAD
Sankarea
Shirokuma Cafe
Kuroko no Basket
Nazo no Kanojo/Mysterious Girlfriend

C Tier

Queen's Blade Rebellion
Rock Lee no Seishun
Yurumates 3D
Haiyore! Nyarko-san

D(ropped) Tier

Zetman
Acchi Kocchi
Medaka Box
Shining Hearts

Probably Amazing Tier

Fate/Zero s.2
Saki side-A
Eureka Seven AO

--

I think that's about right (ordering within tiers is simply based on when the first ep aired). A and B are a little bit fluid. There are a handful of shows there that I want to add some comments to as their position isn't "obvious", but it's getting late~

Yup, some things are so bad that I don't even start watching them for the purpose of dropping them. D:

(Really though, doesn't help when one is on UK Crunchyroll and the other one isn't, tbh)

This would have been more relevant had it not taken me about four weeks to edit it, but what the hell:

Your Anime Sucks - Spring 2012

<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fNSvfnAoMuM?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fNSvfnAoMuM?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Final standings:

Import tier

Fujiko Mine
Sakamichi no Apollon/Kids on the Slope
Hyouka
Accel World

S Tier

Uchuu Kyoudai/Space Bros
Jormungand

A Tier

Kimi to Boku s.2
Sengoku Collection