Spring 2012

Tachi said:
MaxonTreik said:
This just in: children watch cartoons. News at 10.

Sure children may do, but isn't our argument back to people who brand anime as cartoons for children "no it isn't for the most part"
Getting defensive about it isn't going to convince anyone. Just acknowledge that a lot of anime is aimed at kids but there is some good stuff for everyone. If they still think it's for kids then you can just consider them not worth discussing it with.

Will be watching:

Hyouka
Fate/Zero part 2
Zetman
Accel World
Saki Achiga-hen Episode of Side-A(been really looking forward to this one)
Sankarea
Kore wa Zombie Desu Ka? Jigoku-hen
Sengoku Collection
Medaka Box
Hiiro no Kakera
AKB0048
Shining Hearts
Tasogare Otome X Amnesia
Tsuritama
Jormungand
Upotte!
Haiyore Nyaruko-san
Yurumates.

Good to see Thomas reppin, yo! They'll never get rid of him.

And I agree with Rui Pokemon is just as mature as Naruto, in fact I'd say more so. It has no fan service (I hope!) and I believe it's intentionally made to be colourful show that has little substance, in order to provide a hypnotising therapeutic relief to adults. And I'm not even getting into the philosophical sub-text of of animal ownership/cruelty that runs through the show!

MaxonTreik said:
Tachi said:
MaxonTreik said:

Sure children may do, but isn't our argument back to people who brand anime as cartoons for children "no it isn't for the most part"
Getting defensive about it isn't going to convince anyone. Just acknowledge that a lot of anime is aimed at kids but there is some good stuff for everyone. If they still think it's for kids then you can just consider them not worth discussing it with.

Hmm It does grind my gears when people are so ignorant to generalise and try to label things with blanket terms without even considering looking more into the subject first :/

But i suppose your right, best to walk away and leave it (not that i have that situation often, most of my friends just go with it whenever i rarely mention anime)

I think there's some bias where people will think the shows they like are mature and shows they don't like are just kiddy stuff etc. When I went to see one of the Naruto Shippuuden movies in the cinema in Japan I was most definitely the only adult there; it wasn't a cinema packed with older teens at all. Then here, our Pokemon gaming thread has been persistently active and attracts more passionate discussion than the threads for the latest and greatest action games. I think that proves the series still has a lot of sway with older fans.

Since I'm female and live in the UK, I long ago gave up trying to only stick to things actually aimed at me, as girly cartoons when I was growing up were utterly rubbish (as well as being rare in the first place) and grown up shows aimed at women here are even worse. If a show is high quality and enjoyable, demographic doesn't matter at all.

Still think the Thomas was just facetiousness though.

R

Perhaps its my complete contrast to the rest of the community when it comes to shows like "my little pony" that seemed to spark a huge interest around the web but to me it was a facepalm to the industry. (to this day i still don't understand why guys want to watch a show that when i was a kid was purely aimed at little girls that dressed in pink and thought they were princesses)

For the most part i watch anime aimed from 15 up though i do have Films from studio ghibli that would contradict my point of target audiences and things. One of my favourite films is my neighbour totoro for instance, based on forest spirits and things.... but then you look at princess mononoke and thats based on spirits too but clearly aimed at a higher audience, both made by the same studio and IIRC the same director too.

So sure some shows can cross over borders of demographic and though naruto was aimed at teens to start with (hell i think i was 15 when i first watched it on jetix) through shippuden i believe its crossing the borders from teens to young adult/adult.

As for pokemon, i still play when i get hit with a sudden 2 week urge of nostalgia but i wouldn't dream of watching the latest series, i own the first season of pokemon and have been rewatching it this year but thats purely through nostalgia.

So based on my logic: all those shows bar thomas the tank engine is too young to be claimed "watching for nostalgic purposes" and so only helps the general publics view that "anime is cartoons for kids" (thomas the tank engine, being a western cartoon anyway is indeed being facetious in that list - if anyone wanted to watch it for nostalgic purposes that'd be fine because by definition it has nothing to do with anime anyway so wouldn't hinder peoples views of anime fans)

Not that writing any of this is going to change anything, its just my 2pence on the list :)

all those shows bar thomas the tank engine is too young to be claimed "watching for nostalgic purposes" and so only helps the general publics view that "anime is cartoons for kids"

But Naruto is aimed at kids :?

Having a few shows that are aimed at a younger audience on a list that has just as many if not more shows aimed at an older audience, doesn't reinforce any message about "anime is cartoons for kids".

Naruto is aimed at teens, Naruto Shippuden is aimed at older teens and above.

The main difference being: those 4-5 shows i picked out aren't even aimed at children, they are for toddlers. (except the Yu-Gi-Oh knock off, thats aimed at kids)

I don't see the issue with anime being produced for very young children, if people want to assume that all anime is for kiddies, that's their opinion. The "anime = cartoons" argument is one that I can't be doing with, it nearly always ends up with someone intent on being dismissive of anime in a stalemate with someone who takes any perceived insult towards anime extremely personally.

I agree with you about MLP though.

Tachi said:

The main difference being: those 4-5 shows i picked out aren't even aimed at children, they are for toddlers. (except the Yu-Gi-Oh knock off, thats aimed at kids)

Saying it repeatedly doesn't make it true; while adults can enjoy it and people who have been following it since the start can be any age, Naruto is still very accessible for the main Shounen Jump demographic. And what about the Rock Lee SD spin off? I haven't read it so I don't know, but it certainly looks very kid-friendly from here. I think there's some personal bias involved, which is exactly the thing you are arguing you don't like when other people use it as an excuse to avoid anime on the whole.

Also, regarding the series you randomly selected, one is already aimed at an older demographic than Naruto has ever and will ever be for:

MrLaserSharkKH said:
Last time I checked Shirokuma Café was targeted for Women Age 15-44, not exactly a kids cartoon if I'm not mistaken!

It also has a magnificent seiyuu cast, I'm hoping CR or AoD do the right thing :D

R

Hey i'm going off the age ratings on the box i'm not wildly guessing at age demographics here ;)

Having read Rock Lee's Springtime of Youth spin off series, so far i'd say its comical and chibi so the chances are kids will enjoy it just as much as an older audience.

And hang on.... a polar bear cafe is for 44year olds? Jesus now i know i've seen it all.

Ironic, perhaps, that Polar Bear Cafe is one of the most nuanced and cleverly produced shows of the season. For further reference in the animals != for kids section, Animal Farm wasn't counter-programming to The Magic Roundabout.

MaxonTreik said:
:lol:

Tachi said:
The Rock Lee spin off looks good anyway.
The defence rests, Your Honor.

--

It's a bit late for me to bother listing what I intend to watch, as most of it has started now (although three or four huge series are still left to start), so I will go straight into my impressions of what I've watched so far.

All based on ep 1, except for OZMA, which is up to number four:

OZMA - Real shame if this is only six episodes, the world is instantly convincing and the show has been entertaining (if not entirely unpredictable)

Uchuu Kyoudai - The show that I instantly associate in my head with Maxon. Outstanding ep 1, really cool premise.

Zetman - People seem super hype for this for whatever reason, it was "OK". More Deadman Wonderland level than Mirai Nikki, say.

Kimi to Boku 2 - Remains criminally under-rated, I would guess. I think the difference in pace between this and DanshiKou is a plus, not a minus.

Queen’s Blade Rebellion - Annelotte is probably a better lead than Leina, and an increased role for Ymir is always welcome. Good start.

Rock Lee no Seishun - Too many ideas, not enough quality control, but not entirely devoid of entertainment.

Medaka Box - The manga wasn't as good as it should have been, and the only Jump anime I have stuck with in the last few years has been Bakuman... I don't think that's going to change.

Fujiko Mine - Ridiculous levels of everything. Style coming out of its ears, and other things coming out of other places. Great stuff.

KoreZom - Solid continuation of the series.

Acchi Kocchi - Inoffensive, but didn't do anything to thrill me.

Sankarea - A little bit better than I expected, with the slightly darker undertones that could be felt at times. Quite excited to see where it goes.

Natsuiro Kiseki - This had nudged its way to the top of my hype list by the time April came around, and the first episode did nothing to reverse that. Voice acting/character design/etc all up the levels I expected, but the unexpected nature of the "miracle" has me even more intrigued.

Sengoku Collection - Pretty easy to watch, lead characters have a solid if highly unoriginal rapport.

Shirokuma Cafe - The panda. Gets a part time job. As a panda. I nearly wouldn't have watched this if CR hadn't picked it up, thank heck they did!

Yurumates 3D - There's pretty much no point in not watching these 3 minute shows that CR picks up.

Accel World - A strong start to a series I was going into with high expectations for, although my LN fanboyism for it isn't at the same level as, say, HaGaNai or DenYuuDen. Bodes well for both the rest of this, and Sword Art Online.

Kuroko no Basket - Another one I wasn't expecting much from, but I love the idea behind Kuroko's basketball ability, and it seems pretty well written. The main pair's relationship is some highly obvious neo-shounen bait, but the characters themselves are cool.

Mysterious Girlfriend X - Manages to avoid simply being something like a softcore Sundome, I shall continue to watch.

Nadia Remaster - It's Nadia. I don't need much excuse to rewatch this show.

Still to come:

Tasogare Otome - (later tonight)
Haiyore! - (later tonight)
Jormungand - (tomorrow)
Eureka Seven AO - (Thursday)
Tsuritama - (Thursday)
Sakamichi no Apollon - (Thursday)
Hyouka - (too long ;_; )

Maybe (not) still to come:

Shining Hearts
AKB

Rui said:
Tachi said:

Saying it repeatedly doesn't make it true; while adults can enjoy it and people who have been following it since the start can be any age, Naruto is still very accessible for the main Shounen Jump demographic. And what about the Rock Lee SD spin off? I haven't read it so I don't know, but it certainly looks very kid-friendly from here. I think there's some personal bias involved, which is exactly the thing you are arguing you don't like when other people use it as an excuse to avoid anime on the whole.

Also, regarding the series you randomly selected, one is already aimed at an older demographic than Naruto has ever and will ever be for:

MrLaserSharkKH said:
Last time I checked Shirokuma Café was targeted for Women Age 15-44, not exactly a kids cartoon if I'm not mistaken!

It also has a magnificent seiyuu cast, I'm hoping CR or AoD do the right thing :D

R
Also just to throw this in, because it's fun:
In Japan, "Naruto Shippuden" is aired on TVTokyo directly after "Pokémon Best Wishes" (Pokémon is shown at 7pm on Thursdays, Naruto Shippuden is shown at 7:30pm).

So yeeeeeeeaaaaaaaah.

ilmaestro said:
Uchuu Kyoudai - The show that I instantly associate in my head with Maxon. Outstanding ep 1, really cool premise.
I'll take that as a compliment since I'm enjoying it loads.

I'm looking forward to what you think of Haiyore! Nyaruko-san, by the way. I really liked the first episode.

Back