sonic games discussion

Mutsumi said:
memorium said:
Sonic CD is one of my favourites, Sonic 3 is overrated, and Sonic 2 is the peak of the series

Sonic 2 was a disappointment to me. Sonic 1 was better in my opinion.

Also, I second the love for 8bit Sonic. I loved Sonic 1 on the Master System.

Actually I thought Sonic 2 was better, and I loved Sonic 3 & Knuckles even more, as a point to the cast question, they should of stopped with Knuckles. The three of them had different playing styles and they could of just done more with them instead of getting stupid with it. I suppose they could of kept amy if she was more like her first appearance (i.e. a plot point).

As for Sonic CD, i think my opinion of it is summed up by the fact I brought the original Mega CD game before I even had the Mega CD add-on to play it...Best £17 I ever spent. The original soundtrack is far better then what the americans had, and what we got in the Sonic Gems Collection. Though if you want to watch the intro, just stick with youtube, not sure if it's just the pal version of the CD game but the intro is a tiny square and with a frame rate of 2 per second it seems.

Anyhow...On the original topic, I think Sega just need to take a good hard look at the orignal games, play through them a couple of times, play through the master system and game gear games as well for good measure, then look to the fans and see what they really want.

Although I much rather have another Panzer Dragoon game...

Mutsumi said:
memorium said:
Sonic CD is one of my favourites, Sonic 3 is overrated, and Sonic 2 is the peak of the series

Sonic 2 was a disappointment to me. Sonic 1 was better in my opinion.

Also, I second the love for 8bit Sonic. I loved Sonic 1 on the Master System.
It's probably because Sonic CD and Sonic 2 were my childhood, also I found that Sonic 2 was the fastest of the original 2D games, plus I loved the stages and music in it more than Sonic 1, I just felt that Sonic 3 lost all the speed that made the first 2 so enjoyable.

@Blackwolf: I agree with ya on the characters, Sonic, Tails, Knuckles and maybe Amy (or Rose as she was known back then IIRC) as well, that would've been sensible, why they had to go and make 50 odd characters I don't know, hopefully the new Sonic shall go completely back to roots, none of this homing ******** that now has (worked in 3D I will admit, but this is bloody 2D Sega), none of these incredibly long stages that go on for about 10 minutes, just keep it quick and simple.

I know it's a weird thing to hate sonic 3 for, but I hated the redrawn sprites, and the features felt too gimmicky.

Though it's a good game my favourites remain
Sonic on the Master System (first game I ever beat) and Sonic 2 on the Megadrive.

Haven't really liked anything since sonic & knuckles to present (especially sonic 4) but I think the demo of generations should be half decent with the stages based around Classic Sonic.

ilmaestro said:
Sonic games were good up until Knuckles came along. At that point SEGA started to believe that the cast needed expanding with shittier and shittier characters.

Hey Hey come on now, blaze has been considered a favourite character even amoungst critics. Other then that, your exactly on the mark

The first thing that I ever really got into as a child was Sonic. I was about five when Sonic 1 came out and I've been a fan ever since then. I know that most of the later games have not been great, but at least Sega are listening to the fans and are trying to bring it back to what it used to be like, especially with the likes of Sonic 4 and Generations.

Personally speaking, my favourite games in the canon are Sonic CD and Sonic 3 & Kunckles. In terms of soundtracks, I've always been partial to the music to the Saturn version of Sonic 3D. I know it is not the greatest Sonic game ever made, but I do like the music, especially Volcano Valley.

Ian Wolf said:
The first thing that I ever really got into as a child was Sonic. I was about five when Sonic 1 came out and I've been a fan ever since then. I know that most of the later games have not been great, but at least Sega are listening to the fans and are trying to bring it back to what it used to be like, especially with the likes of Sonic 4 and Generations.

Clearly they are listening to the fans, and that it why they are not simply going back to the old 2D stuff. Not everyone wants that, hence why Generations caters to both sides of the fandom.

Sonic Adventure 2 Battle on the Gamecube is still the highest point of the series.

Back