sonic games discussion

Animefreak17

Godhand
ok i know the new games of sonic hasn't been that great for the past couple of years the last sonic game i played was sonic heroes and shadow the hedgehog
i played the old 2d sonic game when i was younger and it rocked my world
i also played sonic adventure 2 battle which i also enjoyed
i played sonic rivals but i didn't like it that much
if you ask me the new games aren't getting better -
1.the storylines are all mixed up-
sonic underground
sonic the hedgehog am
sonic x
Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog
2 they give us unnecessary characters like - one time villain chaos, human character chris, big the cat ( hes a no yes character * sonic heroes )
3 they dont give us characters from the comics ( which i think would help the games like sonics evil super form, Scourge the Hedgehog, ect
4 they shouldn't of changed robotnics name to eggman and he only should help sonic if it benefits himself. the sonic the hedgehog am cartoons robotnics character was perfect. and they should give him back his badnics back.

whst do you think they should do to make sonic better.
i also think they should bring back the the boxes that makes you invincible ( sparkly sonic ), shield, faster shoes, ect

Wow, there are problems with Sonic but Jesus Christ, you have sure missed them all. As always, looking forward to Sonic Generations but have hesitations (heh) because of the Cycle.

Jaymii said:
Wow, there are problems with Sonic but Jesus Christ, you have sure missed them all. As always, looking forward to Sonic Generations but have hesitations (heh) because of the Cycle.
if you ask me i think sonic should have a restart from the beginning so that he storyline would be more understanding-
the comics
the cartoons
the games
there all over the place

Sonic games were good up until Knuckles came along. At that point SEGA started to believe that the cast needed expanding with shittier and shittier characters, and forgot that the series was actually about momentum, not just speed. Now there is no-one left at SEGA who even remembers what a good Sonic game looks like, let alone actually worked on one.

The storyline has less than nothing to do with the quality or lack thereof, so I can only assume that the level of trolling in this thread is as high as usual.

ilmaestro said:
Sonic games were good up until Knuckles came along. At that point SEGA started to believe that the cast needed expanding with shittier and shittier characters, and forgot that the series was actually about momentum, not just speed. Now there is no-one left at SEGA who even remembers what a good Sonic game looks like, let alone actually worked on one.

The storyline has less than nothing to do with the quality or lack thereof, so I can only assume that the level of trolling in this thread is as high as usual.
im not trolling
but come to think of it mario doesn't have any storylines....... but its the same thing over and over and over and over and over and over again save the princess.
i wish a new enemy would show up in those games.
anyway sonic, saga should have a something like
metal sonic
robotnic
Scourge the Hedgehog
evil super sonic aka dark sonic
Black Doom
Mephiles the Dark
ect ect ect
but only the big baddys not the mini baddys team up and take on sonic one at a time,

I found the old 2D Sonic games to be far too average, overshadowed by the far superior Mario games. Sonic Adventure 2 Battle is the best game in the series.

Mutsumi said:
I found the old 2D Sonic games to be far too average, overshadowed by the far superior Mario games. Sonic Adventure 2 Battle is the best game in the series.
i agree adventure 2 was the best, but i think the first sonic game was good cause of the music. they should put more affect in to sonic games like they did in sonic adventure 2
live and learn was awesome

animefreak17 said:
whst do you think they should do to make sonic better.
i also think they should bring back the the boxes that makes you invincible ( sparkly sonic ), shield, faster shoes, ect

In a nutshell Kill the series but leave the Archie comics, since they have more of a canon plot then the games ever will. Plus a season 3 to SatAM from the scripts of Ben Hurst. Otherwise Sega can go bankrupt for all I care

Whilst this thread is a little all over the place, I agree AF17 that Mario is more than a bit repetitive. I mean at least the sonic guys are trying something new even if it is constantly smacking them in the face.

I guess Mario stays the same so they can focus on changes to the gameplay instead of plot, but still... I think Ninty needs to experiement a bit more, and I don't mean with their hardware. I mean they took a chance with Metroid Prime and that really took off ...and then they made 2 more and a DS and pinball spin off... but the point is they have the resources to afford to experiement a little. I don't really think we need another "new" super mario bros. The first was welcome as there hadn't been a new 2d mario since the 90's, but was the wii version necessary?

Sparrowsabre7 said:
Whilst this thread is a little all over the place, I agree AF17 that Mario is more than a bit repetitive. I mean at least the sonic guys are trying something new even if it is constantly smacking them in the face.

I guess Mario stays the same so they can focus on changes to the gameplay instead of plot, but still... I think Ninty needs to experiement a bit more, and I don't mean with their hardware. I mean they took a chance with Metroid Prime and that really took off ...and then they made 2 more and a DS and pinball spin off... but the point is they have the resources to afford to experiement a little. I don't really think we need another "new" super mario bros. The first was welcome as there hadn't been a new 2d mario since the 90's, but was the wii version necessary?
its simple but brilliant
have bowser kindnap the princess all the time or steal a powerful weapon to take over the mushroom kingdom all the time but make each level fun
giant levels
water level
new mushrooms

but thats all mario dose he has to rescue the princess every single time over and over again. even tho the levels are fun, the storys the same rescue the princess stop bowsers. but at least sonic has a different story plots and robotnic isn't the big bad boss all the time
if im playing a game i like a story that builds up and have a few twists.
thats what i hate about the mario games the storys are all the same.
this is why sonic adventure 2 is the best sonic game ever.
its has kick ass levels running, fighting, solving, ect
bad ass boss fights
musics good

Sparrowsabre7 said:
The first was welcome as there hadn't been a new 2d mario since the 90's, but was the wii version necessary?
Yes, because there hadn't been a new 2D Mario on home consoles since the 90's.

animefreak17 said:
Jaymii said:
if you ask me i think sonic should have a restart from the beginning so that he storyline would be more understanding-
the comics
the cartoons
the games
there all over the place
They're 'all over the place' because when the games started up, there was no story. The Japanese and Western versions had different accounts of what's going on in their manuals and none of it was really reflected in what actually happened in the games. They were internally consistent and the occasional bit of continuity happened between some of the games.

And that's the thing. Sonic took a nose-dive specifically when they started to give it a story. Mario's transition to 3D wasn't smoother just because the games controlled better and had superior design. Nintendo would never be stupid enough to try and turn its cartoon mime play into a patronising after school special. And why the hell did the Sonic games start swapping out its abstract platforming-driven zone designs for real world settings like beaches, seaside towns and cities?

Sonic 1, 2 ,3 / Knuckles were four of the finest platformers ever made. Not quite on the level of Mario's 2D legacy (with the exception of SMB1 / 2 which are a little too primitive), but then, what is?

Oh, and people forget the 8-bit Sonics too easily. They were actually pretty good. And people remember Sonic CD as if it wasn't a fuchsia coloured puke bucket of awful.

memorium said:
Sonic CD is one of my favourites, Sonic 3 is overrated, and Sonic 2 is the peak of the series

Sonic 2 was a disappointment to me. Sonic 1 was better in my opinion.

Also, I second the love for 8bit Sonic. I loved Sonic 1 on the Master System.

Back