Sonia's art ^_^

sonia_leong

Dandy Guy, in Space
Hello! This is a thread that will pretty much have anything new I come up with.

I'm an illustrator, so most of my pin up/splash art (as long as it's not publication sensitive) is viewable from my website, www.fyredrake.net.

But what I actually prefer doing is making manga/comic pages, rather than the one-offs. So, here are links to two very different comics - one of my very first works, and one of my more recent ones.

My very first comic series (started in 2003/2004), "Once Upon a Time" is viewable in the webcomics section of Sweatdrop Studio's website:
http://www.sweatdrop.com/
It's a modern day shoujo story about girls growing up and life's lessions, and is now up to Chapter 3. I'm hoping to get Chapter 4 finished and a collected graphic novel together by the end of this year.

In contrast, "Fatal Connection" is my Tokyopop RSOM entry, currently showcased on their manga online website:
http://www.tokyopop.com/mangaonline/series...rrent_issue.php
This was drawn in about 2 weeks, just before Sept 2005... an evil Japanese period horror... obviously, in wispy shoujo style.

I know it's alot of stuff, but I'm not looking for detailed crit and forcing you to go through everything XD I just wanted to make it easy for you guys to have a look, if you want, if you feel, and if you have time.

Thank you for your time! And please let me know if I'm breaking any rules, I don't mean to!

(hopefully I'll have something new to post soon, as I've just done something for Mangaquake... and it's shoujo sci-fi! I will make any genre shoujo! OHOHOHO!!!)

Wow!

So far just had time to look at the second one, but it's good. I'm always really envious of anyone who can draw so consistantly to be able to do manga.

Will have to look at the other one soon. :)

THREAD NECRO GETS XDD (well it's my own thread, so I thought it would be okay)

Last night, as I was watching my hubby play Disgaea 2, and Beauty Queen / Demon Lord Etna started a fight with Lord Zenon, it occured to me that I should have a go at fanart more often, simply cos there are some characters out there I love so much.

I really should have drawn Etna in time for Valentine's Day (as she has a heart for her devil tail ^.^), but I did this yesterday evening instead. Took about 3.5 hrs.

And I haven't touched markers for... um... about 3 months for a commission, and prior to that... um... over half a year XD I am so rusty!

Wa!! Sorry for dropping off the face of the earth for the whole of April!! I was away on business so much, was on a Cambridge-Heidelberg (germany) exchange trip, then went to Anime Boston 2007.

Here's some... stuff!!

Somethng I've done for a NEO Mag article coming soon, and some illustrations from one of my latst projects, a webcomic called Aya.Takeo! And a marker piece I did for an upcoming how-to-draw book, I think it's called 50 Manga Babes XD

You're a Professional manga artist?

If you don't mind me asking, and are able to answer, how does that pay? Not that I'll ever be doing it for a job, but I'm just curious.

Well, I earn a bit more than when I used to work as a project coordinator in Contracts, Conferences and Marketing... that said, I live in the Cambridge area, so white collar salaries are fairly high, though nowhere near as high as London.

But I do have to work quite long and unsociable hours at times, cos I'm a freelancer, and sometimes have to travel (to the US and beyond it seems) to give talks and stuff. I would average around 40-45 hrs a week. Sometimes I work up to 60 hrs if there's an evil deadline.

Earn enough for me to spend shitloads on brand loli dresses and videogames, and then to starve when I need to send in my tax return XD

Working long hours should be banned but as you travel around the world you will get no sympathy from me.

Ah yes the shopping vs tax debate, as a freelancer myself I know exactly what you mean, although I don't spend as much on loli dresses as you do :)

sonia_leong said:
Well, I earn a bit more than when I used to work as a project coordinator in Contracts, Conferences and Marketing... that said, I live in the Cambridge area, so white collar salaries are fairly high, though nowhere near as high as London.

But I do have to work quite long and unsociable hours at times, cos I'm a freelancer, and sometimes have to travel (to the US and beyond it seems) to give talks and stuff. I would average around 40-45 hrs a week. Sometimes I work up to 60 hrs if there's an evil deadline.

Earn enough for me to spend shitloads on brand loli dresses and videogames, and then to starve when I need to send in my tax return XD

Sounds hectic,but Im guessing enjoyable.
Youre living the dream.
Go you.
And hopefully me someday.

It is just a very incredible artwork... Hope I could do that do.... I wonder what software you use? Illustrator is just too tricky for me....

Back