Sometimes unexpected things happen

thedoctor2016 said:
So Staff get titles but on this back up we are just members sad.

If you want to make a topic brainstorming ideas for a set of member titles I'm happy to put them in. I don't remember the full list from the original site :(

(Unfortunately post counts are unlikely to be restored at this point so everyone will have to work their way back up from zero!)

R

Rui said:
thedoctor2016 said:
So Staff get titles but on this back up we are just members sad.

If you want to make a topic brainstorming ideas for a set of member titles I'm happy to put them in. I don't remember the full list from the original site :(

(Unfortunately post counts are unlikely to be restored at this point so everyone will have to work their way back up from zero!)

R

I should named the infamous Free! fan :D

Hello-hello!

Alright, even I have fallen victim already of attempts of hacking.
They could not have known I had that account though without having read my tweets.
Cause in general I never ever mentioned it on AUKN and it is a pretty new social media platform.

I do strongly advise people to lock their Twitter account for a little bit if it at all can be accessed with info you had on AUKN previously.

Heck, why is this forum even accessible "just like that"? Wouldn't it make sense to lock it to "admin approved access"? To make sure we are talking in safety here for now?

IncendiaryLemon said:
Rui said:
Professor Irony said:
Someone disagreed with our 3x3 grid choices, clearly.

I bet it was Yowanda's grid. No one person should be able to monopolise that much Nico Nico Nii.

R

Someone obviously thinks Nico should only belong to Maki.
Maki only belongs to me. Therefore, if Maki owns Nico and I own Maki, I own Nico.

And all this happened only a few days after I registered, hmm... Were they irritated an American like me was interested in stuff going on in the UK (mainly releases that are nicer than R1 releases I'd like to import)?

Also, this incident is reminding me of what happened to AnimeSuki in May 2014. The email I got when it happened. They also had a notice like this when you tried accessing the forum.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ckisl13UYAEhXhB.jpg:eek:rig

Very fortunate that while I use the same email everywhere, my email password does not match up with anything else. Also a while back I made my Twitter passwords only for Twitter, they aren't used elsewhere, and my important stuff (Amazon, Rightstuf, etc.) use passwords I don't use on forums and such.

BTW, any chance of increasing the max filesize for avatars? Tried to use the avatar I used when registering on the old forum, but it was 42KB which is more than the 29KB limit. What I get for saving most avatars as .PNG instead of .JPG...
http://i.imgur.com/feu91Mc.png

latro said:
Arbalest said:
I admit to being a pretty awful admin these past couple years. the stress of a new job and getting back into the land of life has been hard, but I'm going to do what i can to help out. I may never post as much as i used to(i posted a lot back in the day) but i make sure to keep track of everything on twitter, so even if i'm not on here lurking, i will be there. So i'll be lending a hand when i can. It's sad to see so much damage, especially with me being there just over 11 years now, but we can rebuild! ^^

shouldnt there be a backup if the site has been up for over 11 years? :s pretty lazy otherwise :(
From the sounds of what was on the holding screen - it was a backup that may have played a part with whats going on.

Poor AUKN can't seem to catch a break at times. Good luck to Rui and the rest of the team.

bailey1985: Fun. That's why everyone using a different password on other sites is so important; trolls will be taking advantage and searching that kind of database for similar credentials to attack people.

I haven't locked down this forum because there's no real point at the moment. It's hard enough for members of the community to find it without any redirects (at least those not on Twitter), and the damage has already been done. The logins and passwords are out there, and we can't stop that now. It's a shame. If anyone gets any abuse on here please report the PM and/or send me a PM so we can talk about it. Grav and Arbalest both have moderation powers too now.

BigOnAnime said:
BTW, any chance of increasing the max filesize for avatars? Tried to use the avatar I used when registering on the old forum, but it was 42KB which is more than the 29KB limit. What I get for saving most avatars as .PNG instead of .JPG...
http://i.imgur.com/feu91Mc.png

Done.

One thing to note is that we're already using a generous chunk of the free bandwidth on this service, so if our backup arrangement becomes long term there may be some further disruption getting set up elsewhere. I actually have the backups for this forum, though, so at least any migration would be relatively straightforward and threads won't need to be remade a third time.

R

Thanks so much to Rui for sorting all this. I know it's no easy task, but please know how much we appreciate you and what you and the other admins/mods are doing for us. It's terrible people will target others.

It's great having a place to talk about the UK industry. This place is so integral to me as an anime fan. I really don't know anyone that is interested in anime (or even knows what it is) in my personal life. So while I don't associate with others as much as I'd like to on the forum, it would be devastating to lose this place.

Adding my thanks to Rui for coming to the rescue so splendidly. And so good to see other Forum members here with such inspiring and positive messages. (Made it here rather belatedly and having to rush off for now but I'll be back.)

bailey1985 said:
I just found this article and it says that more than 32 million Twitter passwords may have been hacked . http://www.iflscience.com/technology/mo ... -dark-web/

Fun times.

As a bunch of us found out yesterday, Twitter's security is rubbish. Two-step verification can be a complete nightmare to set up. It took me about 7 hours and 12 attempts yesterday, with me starting around 2pm and succeeding some point after somebody had tried (and seemingly failed) to access my account at 8pm. If two-step verification keeps texting you codes and then refusing to register your number, try leaving the page as soon as you're rejected and immediately going straight back. If you're lucky, it should ask for the code again, at which point it finally let me establish two-step verification.

There is no "auto log-off all other devices" button, you can find a list of other devices, their IPs and country under Settings > Your Twitter Data, but you cannot forcibly log any of them off. There's also another very severe flaw I spotted last night, that I'm not sure it would be appropriate to talk about.

If nobody has tried to access your twitter and you haven't changed your password, do it now. As once they get in, you may not be able to kick them out...

So should we assume the attacks on AUKN and the incident on Twitter be separate then? It just feels like a coincidence these both happened around the same time.

Either way I managed to add 2-step verification and other things on Twitter.

Pretty sure it went like this...

Someone, either one of the hackers or a random troll: Hey look, AUKN users are panicking! I could search on Twitter and find a bunch of them then attempt to log in as them or do a password reset, making them even more scared and increasing the general level of inconvenience to everyone involved!

So long as you are certain your passwords are unique and unguessable, and you change them after things like the reported Twitter breach, and you turn on two-factor authentication for sites you're most cautious about, you should be fine. It's also good to keep spreading the word as the old site went down so often that it wouldn't be surprising if people are relaxed about it and don't realise their details are out there.

R

I've finished changing my passwords, seriously hackers piss me off. Will need to sort out my avatar when I get home, thanks to RUI for the port in the storm

This attack has probably done me a favour making me change all my passwords. Hopefully there will be some kind of back up so we wouldn't need to start over from scratch.

I changed all my passwords and such but now all I can think about is whether I used my hotmail account or my gmail one when I signed up to the old site :/ Kinda hoping it was my hotmail but I'm not sure it really matters anyway.

Back