So Ra No Wo To

Kirrimir

Adventurer
I did a search and came up with no results so i took it upon myself to make a thread dedicated to this Anime.

What is So Ra No Wo To?

So Ra No Wo To (ソ・ラ・ノ・ヲ・ト Sora no Oto?, lit. Sounds of the Skies) is a Japanese anime television series produced by A-1 Pictures and Aniplex and directed by Mamoru Kanbe. The anime began airing in Japan on the TV Tokyo television network on January 5, 2010. So Ra No Wo To is the debut project of Anime no Chikara, a joint project of TV Tokyo's anime department and Aniplex. A manga adaptation illustrated by Yagi Shinba began serialization in the January 2010 issue of ASCII Media Works' Dengeki Daioh magazine. A visual novel developed by Compile Heart will be released on the PlayStation Portable in spring 2010. (Anime falls under the category's of: Slice of Life / Comedy / Social Sci-fi.)

The plot revolves around a girl named Kanata Sorami. When she was all alone at a young age as a result of war, she found inspiration in a trumpeter she met. She decides to join the army and become a bugler, hoping to learn well since she is quite bad at it. She is assigned to the town of Seize (based on Cuenca, Spain), where she is taken care of by Rio Kazumiya, her bugler instructor who plays the trumpet, and the rest of the squadron.

There are 5 main charachters in the series, with Kanata being the 'protagonist'.

Kanata Sorami (空深 彼方 Sorami Kanata?)
Voiced by: Hisako Kanemoto
A young girl who joins the army as a bugler, and is always carrying a bugle with her. Despite being rather bad at playing the bugle herself, she has absolute pitch in regards to identifying musical notes.

Rio Kazumiya (和宮 梨旺 Kazumiya Rio?)
Voiced by: Yū Kobayashi
The sergeant major of the platoon and Kanata's bugler instructor who plays the trumpet.

Kureha Suminoya (墨埜谷 暮羽 Suminoya Kureha?)
Voiced by: Eri Kitamura
A private and tank gunner, and the youngest in the platoon. A typical tsundere type, she tries to act tough and use the proper honorifics, but laments that their unit is lesser known and more lax than others.

Noël Kannagi (寒凪 乃絵留 Kannagi Noeru?)
Voiced by: Aoi Yūki
The platoon's pilot and mechanic. She is generally very sleepy and will fall asleep right in the middle of something.

Filicia Heideman (フィリシア・ハイデマン Firishia Haideman?)
Voiced by: Aya Endō
The platoon leader and second lieutenant, who does away with ranks in her platoon, preferring everyone to be on a first name basis. She is afraid of lightning.
(Courtesy of Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soranowoto)

17753.jpg
We are currently on episode 5 with episode 6 being released on the 8th of February. So Ra No Wo To Airs weekly on Monday's at. Check it out if you haven't already. http://www.sorawoto.com/ (official website)
If this thread is successful i will make ones for other series' so do your best to post and i will update this thread weekly also.

Nice idea to bring attention to new anime. We have the 'winter 2010' thread that lists the new releases (for this season) and the "Rate the last anime you watched out of 10" and the "Your viewing journal" threads often contain reviews about anime people here have watched. Your review has a lot of detail, I found it useful since I haven't looked at this anime yet.

I've had a look at those threads but i felt it would be better to have a dedicated thread for airing series' but well see how this one goes.

It does make it easier to search for a review and there is quite a bit of detail in this one and discussion is open so yeah, see how it goes.

Kirrimir said:
I've had a look at those threads but i felt it would be better to have a dedicated thread for airing series' but well see how this one goes.
We have had a few, but they don't tend to see too much activity.

I would like to see more individual series discussion, though, if we can somehow stimulate it, and So.Ra. is definitely good enough to deserve it. Unfortunately, most people on here seem to be put off by superficial character design similarities to K-ON!. :/

Yeah, when i first saw the image i was like "hmm moe-blob, K-on tbh". Though i liked K-on and am anticipating Season 2. I chose So Ra No Wo To because it's my favourite out of the currently airing series, and i think if people just give it a chance they will grow to love it.

I haven't seen the show (and don't plan to, unless I hear reports of a massively shocking ending of Gainax proportions down the line) but I wonder why so many people are so terribly obsessed with the same character design style being used when this is hardly a new trend in anime.

Anyway good idea for a thread and I'll be lurking to see if there are any Rui-appealing elements to the show once it has progressed farther :)

R

Rui said:
I haven't seen the show (and don't plan to, unless I hear reports of a massively shocking ending of Gainax proportions down the line)
Oh, there's plenty of potential for someone to die, or even everyone to die, or the **** to hit the fan in some way. One death seems like a good bet, though, so you never know exactly how far they'll go with it. My guess is "not actually that far in the end", but there's still hope.

If nothing else, it's nice to see more "anime original" ventures like this show is part of (Anime no Chikara, in this case, with some of the best examples being the original shows produced for noitaminA), as there is more emphasis on needing to be high quality rather than just relying on established fan bases. Plus, you can't have the plot spoiled by anyone who has experienced the source material.

This series is in my plan to watch list, but waiting for episodes is a pet hate of mine. Gonna stick by my guns and wait till the series has ended. More back to back for me to watch.
:thumb:

Moe and War – The only reason I'm watching it is because it's free. Recently finished episode 3. Thank God and Adam Smith for modern capitalism...

The look is so reminiscent of Orguss 2 and the sentimentality is so irritating. This is less a military unit than a love fest.

The director must be playing a joke on his target audience. He’s laughing at the males (who else would watch moe?) by having these stereotypes man ancient super-weapons.

People will pick their favourites, buy the merchandise - suggestive mouse pads, towels - and the final episode will have a lunatic amount of carnage... perhaps with these girls all declaring their love for each other just before their super-tank blows up! :eek:

Would that I or the drill sergeant from Full Metal Jacket were there to sort them out... but I’m missing the point of the moe genre. Never liked it, don’t think I ever will.

Maybe I’m taking this too seriously…

Genkina Hito said:
the moe genre

And there we have the problem. There is no such genre, it's just a label people put on a show based on character designs. Just because two shows have similar designs doesn't make them automatically the same.

Yes, moe is not a genre it's a label as Fudce said, I really think you should take lightly after all i can't see it becoming an action-packed bloodbath or a giant yuri rabu-rabu anime, though i am in favour of the 2nd one.

Fudce said:
Genkina Hito said:
the moe genre

And there we have the problem. There is no such genre, it's just a label people put on a show based on character designs. Just because two shows have similar designs doesn't make them automatically the same.

Whatever it was I found it creepy...

stuart-says-yes said:
Fudce said:
Genkina Hito said:
the moe genre

Well I'd call moe more sorta a fad , an extremely annoying fad.

In 2008 there was 50+ new series's aired during winter.

this year 2010 the numbers dropped to barely 20

the reason the industry's bubble has burst due to the flood of "moe" anime's for the otaku's to feast on.

In a way the decline has caused the crappy average shows to be cut leaving bigger buget generally better new series's to be aired this year for example the remake of the classic anime Cobra.

We're moving into different territory now, but the reason there isn't as much gritty anime these days isn't because of the existance of titles like K-On. It's because people just weren't BUYING the gritty titles. Companies release what people want, and as much as you don't like it people are paying for these series.

Well episode 6 of So Ra No Wo To aired today and it was a Heart-warming and enjoyable episode with a large focus on a side character, Mishio-san. There was also another very enjoyable and slightly confusing to begin with scene just before the break which had me going for a bit but i won't spoil anything.

If you haven't already watched So Ra No Wo To, do so now. :p

Episode 6 summary (possible spoilers);

The group give Kanata her paycheck early and she goes into town to spend it. In actuality, it is to get her out of the way whilst the others illegally trade some wine to make some money. When they get word from Naomi that some investigators are planning to snoop in on the deal, they stage a mock shoot out to scare them off. Meanwhile, one of Yumina's orphans, Mishio, runs off when she objects to having her hair brushed. Kanata finds her at the market, where she reveals she is looking for a certain box. Yumina explains to Kanata the box was a memento of Mishio's mother that was taken when she died. Mishio ends up on a roof, but the noise from the mock shoot out causes her to slip. Kanata manages to save her before she falls, though it causes some rocks to fall that smashes into Naomi's car. Whilst apologising to her, they notice the box Mishio had been looking for. Mishio decides to give it to Yumina as a symbol of how much she cares for her.

Last edited by a moderator:
I meant in general. BD players were one of the most popular gifts this Christmas, and the PS3 user base is going up all the time. People are less inclined to buy DVDs for more than a fiver these days.

Back