Simulwatch Planning Thread - Suggest & Discuss

TTGL I would probably sit out, but don’t let me stop you, if you guys want to go ahead. One question for FLCL though, would people prefer to just do the main series, or would you also like to cover the two sequels? I think they’re still on CR at the moment.

Would also be up for Noir/Madlax at some stage. Noir is the only Bee Train, ‘two women looking for something’ show I’ve seen any of, and I remember it being a little draggy, but I’m for giving it another shot, sure.

TTGL I would probably sit out, but don’t let me stop you, if you guys want to go ahead. One question for FLCL though, would people prefer to just do the main series, or would you also like to cover the two sequels? I think they’re still on CR at the moment.
If it's on Crunchyroll then sure. I've not seen the sequels before.

Would also be up for Noir/Madlax at some stage. Noir is the only Bee Train, ‘two women looking for something’ show I’ve seen any of, and I remember it being a little draggy, but I’m for giving it another shot, sure.
They form part of a girls with guns trilogy by the studio. The other show being El Cazador y la Bruja. But that was never released over here. I do have the r1 dvd though but no idea if it's on streaming over here. Although the 3 shows are all girls with guns they are unrelated in terms of characters and genre. Madlax is my personal favourite of the 3 and the most sci fi of the bunch.

Funnily enough, El Cazador De La Bruja is on Funi at the moment and would be the most readily available (I think), but yeah, I’ve heard Madlax is the best of the three.

One question for FLCL though, would people prefer to just do the main series, or would you also like to cover the two sequels?
Current circumstances don't allow me the chance to use Crunchyroll, but I've seen Progressive and Alternative already, so I'd be able to join in the discussion to a degree. You've seen them too, haven't you Prof?

If it's on Crunchyroll then sure. I've not seen the sequels before.
I recommend them both. They're very different from each other, so it'd be interesting to hear your take on them, dude.

I feel like I took to Alternative quicker than I did Progressive. Progressive is more complex, though, I think, so it might have more overall potential.

(UK BD release when?)

Seeing as how Noir was my Favorite Anime Of All Time until Violet Evergarden happened, I'd love to dive into that one for sure - but of course I won't be able to keep up, after my major fail with the RahXephon Simulwatch. I only made it through 3 episodes and had no time to keep on it.

Funnily enough, El Cazador De La Bruja is on Funi at the moment and would be the most readily available (I think), but yeah, I’ve heard Madlax is the best of the three.

Madlax is the slow one, Noir is by far the best of the three. El Cazador De La Bruja I have no desire to watch, more a light comedy, so not for me.

Last edited:
Me popping out of nowhere here, but as I'm seeing that certain title...
Having watched El Cazador back when it was aired, I can clearly say, it's nothing like Noir and Madlax and rather than light comedy it's just bad failing at even beein trashy bad to entertain. (Though there was one bit in the middle that might have gone slightly, just slightly close.)
Any Noir and/or Madlax fan who was looking foward to that one at the time was pretty.... flabbergasted at what they got. (Until Phantom popped up a few years later and many were inclined to just substitute that one as being the inofficial third..)
The only thing that does stand out is probably the mexican setting (but there is also Michiko to Hatchin for that something like that now) and Kajiura's score, so unless you are in for a long nonsensical flat music video better skip that one.

Noir and Madlax also don't really compare to much, despite being really invitational to do so. Have seen some headbutting over which one's better and no side really relenting. (Which includes the slowness argument.) Personally Noir has had the much more lasting impression on me. Madlax went a bit too drug trip trippy to my tastes. (They apparantely concorted the ideas for the series while being drunk.)
But what all of both camps generally agree on, El Cazador just sucks.

@Professor Irony, @WMD, @Captaaainuniverse:

That's the FLCL simulwatch thread up now. We just need to set a starting date for it. 👍

Link:

Me popping out of nowhere here, but as I'm seeing that certain title...
Having watched El Cazador back when it was aired, I can clearly say, it's nothing like Noir and Madlax and rather than light comedy it's just bad failing at even beein trashy bad to entertain. (Though there was one bit in the middle that might have gone slightly, just slightly close.)
Any Noir and/or Madlax fan who was looking foward to that one at the time was pretty.... flabbergasted at what they got. (Until Phantom popped up a few years later and many were inclined to just substitute that one as being the inofficial third..)
The only thing that does stand out is probably the mexican setting (but there is also Michiko to Hatchin for that something like that now) and Kajiura's score, so unless you are in for a long nonsensical flat music video better skip that one.

Noir and Madlax also don't really compare to much, despite being really invitational to do so. Have seen some headbutting over which one's better and no side really relenting. (Which includes the slowness argument.) Personally Noir has had the much more lasting impression on me. Madlax went a bit too drug trip trippy to my tastes. (They apparantely concorted the ideas for the series while being drunk.)
But what all of both camps generally agree on, El Cazador just sucks.

Yes, Requiem for the Phantom -that one was basically tied for my first/second favorite anime of all time, along with Noir. I have Madlax in my collection, but never watched more than just the first few episodes.

Is that Lain avatar pic a coded suggestion for a simulwatch, @ayase?

(Please say it is.)
That would certainly be... Interesting, but I don’t know. Lain perhaps feels more to me like a show people should be left to ponder alone, but I’d probably partake if it were to happen.

Lain perhaps feels more to me like a show people should be left to ponder alone
I reckon it'd be interesting to simulwatch because of how different people would likely interpret the material differently. 🤔
I reckon I'd definitely learn new things about Lain by reading someone else's reaction.

Well, these posts are here now, so... let's see if the idea gains any traction, I guess.

Back