Silent Hill (the original)

Churchy99

Adventurer
Today I did something I've been meaning to do for awhile - start playing the silent hill series, starting with the first one and making my way through

I'm about 6 hours into it and I think it is possibly the best survival horror game I have played (I've played almost every other series including the grandfather which is AITD)

Even though the graphics are PS1 standard it can still give a few chills (and I'm a hard guy to scare!)because you simply don't know whats coming. The section in the darkness in the school was chilling just because I could only see a few feet in front of me. Even though it was easy to kill everything there, it was scary because of what I couldn't see! I thought I'd just leave my opinoins on it so far and want to see what you all think of it and if anyone can tell me which one is the best in the series.

This really cheered me up as survival horror games seem to have thinned out recently!

Oh is Silent Hill 4 really the dissapointment that many claim it is?

Yeah the first silent hill is an awesome game, i remember the first time i played it my friends (who had already completed it several times) actually led me to believe that i had accidentally got my self killed at the very begining part of the game (you know the bit in the courtyard with the little critters as seen in the movie) and to top it off whenever i went anywhere they would look at each other and start laughing as if i had just enter a bad area :lol: Still i enojoyed it, i prefer silent hill 2 of course but number 1 is cool.

As for 4 it is the worst of the SH games but is an okay game :)

Yeh Silent Hill is great. And I thought 4 was really good, it wasnt a dissapointment. Tbh, I feel it was good because it kept the 'feel' of Silent Hill. Like the kinda "humour" that only someone who played Silent Hill would get. I d unno, might just be me, but i loved them all.

BlackWolf said:
:lol: Still i enojoyed it, i prefer silent hill 2 of course but number 1 is cool.
Thought 2 was the weaker of the series (haven't played 4 yet), curious why you liked it. Thought it was weaker cause it had nothing to do with the original bar the name, while the third was more of a direct sequel to the first.
The first was class, pure and simple as it wasn't the Resi evil scare tactics that make you jump but nothing more, but Silent hill gave me nightmares... a burst of static makes me jumpy, as do quiet foggy days and nights.

hopeful_monster said:
BlackWolf said:
:lol: Still i enojoyed it, i prefer silent hill 2 of course but number 1 is cool.
Thought 2 was the weaker of the series (haven't played 4 yet), curious why you liked it. Thought it was weaker cause it had nothing to do with the original bar the name, while the third was more of a direct sequel to the first.
The first was class, pure and simple as it wasn't the Resi evil scare tactics that make you jump but nothing more, but Silent hill gave me nightmares... a burst of static makes me jumpy, as do quiet foggy days and nights.

Yeah the static just makes you think "oh **** whats lurking in the fog?!"

I remember one morning walking through my village it was the foggiest I had ever seen - there was no one else but me, no cars, no people and for some reason, no noise - it felt just like silent hill but without the ash or snow (I'd only watched the film at that point) - I could hear my footsteps echo - it was so damn cool and something I may never experience again!

hopeful_monster said:
BlackWolf said:

I think all the Silent Hill games have tried to tread their own path, and I can appreciate that. They try to keep the core atmosphere and themes of the series, but aren't afraid to innovate. SH4 for example, isn't even set in Silent Hill.

As for why people tend to love SH2, I think it's just the combination of the genuinely tragic characters and storyline with the updated PS2 generation graphics, which still hold up OK today. True it didn't really relate back to the first one, but I also think that's in its favour, like I stated before. Plus it probably didn't hurt that with a new plotline that doesn't require in-depth knowledge of the previous game, your target audience expands.

Plus, in terms of the raw power of the disturbing, there are few game antagonists as memorable, iconic and downright creepy as Pyramid Head.

Of course, which one you like best is always going to be personal preference, so I'll just end it on "subjective subjective LOL".

Yeah. Gotta say Pyramid Head was genius. That game gives you the creeps. Didnt help when I played no.2 our house's windows were being done so we had to have them all borded up. So it was middle of the day but pitch black in the house with boards over the windows. That was creepy. Then put pyramid head and the other silent hill spooks in...

I just liked the general atomsphere and the storyline, it didn't bother me that it wasn't connected to SH1. Intresting how the movie though seemed to blend several elments of the Silent Hill games together, i.e. plot elements from the first game and baddies from the later games etc Though its strange since when the movie was first mentioned it sounded almost like a direct adaptaion of SH2

Im yet to see the movie. Il sit down and watch it with dad soon enough though. Not sure wheteher to watch Resi Evil: Extinction or Ball of Fury tommoro.

But aye, the atmosphere is classic in SH. I duno, i still find the 'classic' moments funny. Like at the beggining of a game and you pick up like a Plank of Wood. :lol: Im probably the only one that finds that f unny though.

Spyro201 said:
Im yet to see the movie. Il sit down and watch it with dad soon enough though. Not sure wheteher to watch Resi Evil: Extinction or Ball of Fury tommoro.

But aye, the atmosphere is classic in SH. I duno, i still find the 'classic' moments funny. Like at the beggining of a game and you pick up like a Plank of Wood. :lol: Im probably the only one that finds that f unny though.

I think the silent hill movie is brilliant - I think its the only video game film that is good as a film too! It just stays with the spirit of the whole thing while using some much loved characters from the series

Churchy99 said:
Spyro201 said:

I think the silent hill movie is brilliant - I think its the only video game film that is good as a film too! It just stays with the spirit of the whole thing while using some much loved characters from the series

Yeah, i just wish though the pyramid head got more screen time...now to see if i can track down the rumours of a sqeuel

well there is a sequel - but apparantly Gans will not be the director this time and the script writer apparantly said he would not do it if Gans was not involved as they work well together but we'll see what happens!

That effect never fails to impress! - I will always hope and will definately see it if it comes out - all of this is speculation but if Gans and Avery did the 2nd one too then I would be booking tickets for it - If they do a second one it'll be interesting to see what the have planned - who will they focus on this time? - will they write the character of James Sunderland like they did for Harry Mason? (who Gans said was more woman like in the end)

It maybe a bit of a shame as I feel the actors did a great job in the first one.

So many questions to be answered but something tells me it won't be made for a while - I'd rather wait and see one done by Gans and Avery again

Sadly the Silent Hill franchise is left in the hands of an american company now -_-

I'm going to wait and see how the company going to mess up the SH series

Back