sick of monica rai?

Kirrimir said:
Who even is this? Oh it's a dub voice actor...
I remember when you said Final Fantasy X had a good dub, shows how much you know.
yammylol.png

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/H47ow4_Cmk0&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/H47ow4_Cmk0&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Kirrimir said:
Lupus said:
Kirrimir said:
Who even is this? Oh it's a dub voice actor...
I remember when you said Final Fantasy X had a good dub, shows how much you know.
yammylol.png

I said it had a bareable dub, no dub is good.

That sentence alone shows how much you know. Or more accurately, how little you know. Plus, to get technical about it, the Japanese language versions of an anime, shock horror, are actually dubs too! A Japanese voice is dubbed over because animated characters cannot actually speak otherwise.

So you think that, because a dub is in English and not in Japanese, that regardless of all other factors, the fact it is in English and not Japanese means it is automatically inferior? No sensible logic or reasoning to back it up? If you cannot accept that English dubs can be and more often than not are good, regardless of whether you like them, then you will always come across like some kind of childish troll fighting a dub/sub war that noone but himself cares about.

Leaving the dub vs sub antics aside for a second...

I always hit the sub button as a default, but I do listen to the English dubs just to see what I'm missing out on. It's a bit of a mixed blessing to have a smaller actor base to choose from, but there's actually a surprising amount of differentiation and range that certain actors can bring to dubs. And sometimes it's actually a bit of a jazz to be able to recognise them.

But Monica Rial... she isn't one of my favourites for sure. A lot of that has to do with the number of comedy anime characters she dubs, a lot of high pitched squeaky girls. I've never personally found a comedy anime dub that I could bear to listen to for more than ten minutes without my ears bleeding. I just don't like them.

But when she's doing more serious stuff, or voicing characters away from her usual voice, she's more than acceptable, especially in shows like Burst Angel, Claymore, Baccano, Basilisk.

Where she really annoys me, really grates, gets under my skin, are the Funimation commentaries. They're uninformative rabble gigglefests at the best of times, and she's the worst giggler of them all...

that's one thing that i have noticed about adv and Funimation commentaries. since most of them have worked for the same companies u get the same loud stupid Voice actors who don't add anything of substance. Instead u get them talking all about themselves instead of talking about the show

You say that like it's a bad thing, Devilrules! ;)

One of the most entertaining evenings I've ever had was spent in front of my Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040 DVDs - a show I really don't much care for, it has to be said - listening to the commentaries with a tube of Pringles and a bottle of Pepsi on hand.*

Laugh riot! Matt Greenfield's insights were really amusing, and the quartet of Hilary Haag, Kelly Manison, Christine Auten and Laura Chapman came across as a genuinely fun bunch of gals - the sort of people who are obviously into the stuff they're dubbing and dig it as much as we do.

Voice actors ROCK. Even though I'm critical of certain aspects of the way dubs are sometimes handled or executed, I've always admired the hard work they put in, not to mention the enthusiasm they bring to the work.

*Apologies for product placement.

As with all American VA's Monica has her moments of glory as well as her moments of ghastly. Fortunately she seems to do better in more mature anime Rahxephon, Kurau, hell even the mute in Yugo. Also decent singing voice in Speed Grapher.
However voices where is seems like she was kicked in the nuts grate on my nerves like that simile grates on common sense. Examples would be Coyote Ragtime Show - Chelsea Moore. Gods that made me want to claw my ears off.

Zelgadis said:
Muts, stop responding to Kirrimir's trolling. Ignoring him will show him how worthless his opinion is.

You are correct, but I must confess to being bored, and poking the troll looked like it could be fun.

devilrules666 said:
i am sick of monica rai being in all my anime apart from my beez stuff. she seems to be in everything. what about u guys?

Monica Rial is a fantastic actress really, and she has such great range. People may look at her credits and say that she's in everything, but can you really look at her roles and say she's exactly the same in everything?

Compare Jo (Burst Angel) to Lumiere (Kiddy Grade) for instance. Compare Tamayo (Angelic Layer) to Lirio (El Cazador).

Monica Rial is in a lot of anime because she is a talented actress who has some good range. She also writes and directs the english language versions of anime these days, and she's a bloody good laugh to meet.

Monica rules! Yay!

Mutsumi said:
Kirrimir said:

That sentence alone shows how much you know. Or more accurately, how little you know. Plus, to get technical about it, the Japanese language versions of an anime, shock horror, are actually dubs too! A Japanese voice is dubbed over because animated characters cannot actually speak otherwise.

So you think that, because a dub is in English and not in Japanese, that regardless of all other factors, the fact it is in English and not Japanese means it is automatically inferior? No sensible logic or reasoning to back it up? If you cannot accept that English dubs can be and more often than not are good, regardless of whether you like them, then you will always come across like some kind of childish troll fighting a dub/sub war that noone but himself cares about.

That's a pathetic attempt at provoking something, nitpicking at my words even though you know the meanly completely.

Fudce said:
Monica Rial is in a lot of anime because she is a talented actress who has some good range.

Now THIS is a great point.

Something I appreciate in good dubs is the way the same voice actors you've heard in a dozen other shows can sometimes bring something fresh to their performances, and sometimes do this consistently.

Even if we do hear Steve Blum, Richard Epcar, Hilary Haag, Chris Patton and whoever in the same shows over and over, they'll sometimes hit a stride in a show and create a stand-out character.

Like the late Bob Papenbrook in Heat Guy J.

Or Cam Clarke in Akira. (Where is he now? Eh?)

Or Mary McGlynn in Stand Alone Complex.

Or Monica Rial in RahXephon. Has anybody mentioned Monica Rial yet? ;)

Jayme said:
sic vita est said:
I'm going to guess that the Japanese have a wider range of voice actors as they seem to take that aspect of anime more seriously (did I read they had dedicated VA courses?).
[...]It's also quite rude to say to them that they don't take their work seriously. I've never come across a voice actor who didn't care for his work, they are all fans of the stuff. There's probably more actors in Japan who don't care for anime than there are in America.

I should clarify that I meant "serious" in the academic/dedicated course/respect for VAs sense, which we in the UK/US have perhaps caught up with now. I don't doubt that all VAs will be passionate about their work, please don't think I'm implying otherwise.

Watching interviews with Monica Rial, her voice seems like it could get annoying at times but she has such range that it's less likely to be an issue. But I've never heard many of her high-pitched, crazy dubs though!

Kirrimir said:
Mutsumi said:
Kirrimir said:

That's a pathetic attempt at provoking something, nitpicking at my words even though you know the meanly completely.
Lol, I knew you'd try for dodge answering the question, because even you know that you cannot justify your views with any sense or logic.

Justify why you think that just being is English alone is enough to make a dub bad then.

Sorry guys, I know I'm poking the troll again...

hopeful_monster said:
Mutsumi said:
Sorry guys, I know I'm poking the troll again...
Meh if it keeps the rest of the board free of trolls, poke away.

The results are very disappointing though. This troll is particularly cowardly, and will not try and defend or justify his views. Oh well, c'est la vie.

Back