Serial Experiments Lain singles collection competition

Scrolling down through his twitter, it looks like the initial thing he was reacting to was the digimon entry on the previous page.

"That is a fake. Where'd you find that? We don't license any Digimon stuff. Bizarre. I've let our lawyers know. 2:31 PM Nov 24th from web "

Durial666 said:
OMG what a grass. I really hate people like that. Maybe we should have put some kind of disclaimer saying that all works featured in this thread are entirely for competition purposes only and stuff.

It's not grassing, it's pointing people in the right direction. In the long run, he would have found out where it came from as Manga Entertainment and the PR firm which they use are in contact with Chaos here. All I, as News Anime, did was point him in the direction to make sure that everything's OK. The last thing that I want is for a site that I admire to be under the threat of legal action (which might sound mad, but the MMO Envoy is currently suing a blogger for "defamation" right now and that's just a small Chinese company). Bad on my part for getting the name wrong, but I've been ill this week :(.

After speaking with Manga they are just not happy with the Manga Entertainment logo being used without their permission for fan stuff, it makes sense from a legal point of view but not so much from a fan's point of view. It's not that their stopping the competition, they'll probably just ask for corporate logos to be removed from the fan covers.

From a copyright and trademark point of view, to retain the rights to your trademark and copyright you need to actively pursue people who aren't using it correctly. Of course, I doubt that Chaos or any of us knew that we weren't, but it's just one of those things, especially in an arena that has to fight fraud and copyright theft so strongly.

Yea sorry Archaic, I know now, I misread as I didn't see Mangas original post that started this off, and I thought you squealed on us. My Apologies.

Archaic Sage said:
Durial666 said:
but the MMO Envoy is currently suing a blogger for "defamation" right now and that's just a small Chinese company).

I think this is something unique to the chinese blogoshere. If a chinese company tried to sue us for defamation of, I don't know, 'Window to the Heart' [cough]5cm Per Second tracing[/cough] I think chaos would tell them where to shove it.

Actually, Envoy are also trying to sue The Guardian as well. They've issued a summons via an Australian lawyer to a UK blogger, but their company is based in the US. A strange one granted, but Nintendo sued a few websites for trademark (such as the Zelda fansite LegendOfZelda.com - they lost this one though) and for fangames in general.

I doubt Manga would do this, but it would impact the relationship between one of the oldest UK Anime sites on the internet and arguably one of the largest anime companies in the country.

Seems really silly to me. We the fans are what make Manga and other companies work. Without us what can they really do? So for them to go against us like this over the use of a logo (free advertising) really gets to me.

lets not make assumptions here, manga haven't even commented on this, so lets not go accusing them of not thinking about fans when they've done nothing yet

I've had a conversation with Manga about this (a bit of a misunderstanding at first) but basically it's to protect the fans as some naughty bootleggers make fake DVD covers and use official logos to try and con unknowing people into buying goods that they think is genuine when they're in fact, fake.

It's also to protect their own relationships with their internal holders (such as Funimation and the Japanese companies). I'm sure that when Chaos gets to his e-mail he'll be able to talk to us more about this as I've had some chats with Jerome, but for the most part I've pushed it to Chaos as it's nothing to do with me.

I do work with official logos as part of my IRL job though and the company that I work for have a similar policy. No logo usage on anything, regardless as to whether or not the fans think it's a good idea unless it's been vetted by Marketing and we have the right to withdraw the logo at any time. It sounds silly when you've never dealt with it before (and I used to think like you Durial666) but it makes sense from a corporate and bootlegger point of view.

I suppose I am ignorant to all this so I have just assumed but I just said it how I personally saw it to be. You'll have to excuse me being a bit nooby about all this, as I have no idea.

Just looking at what you have put Archaic it does make sense to me now as to why they would get a bit snooty about it.

I've edited my entry and have now omitted the Manga logo.

I understand the copyright infringement POV to some extent but still find it somewhat ridiculous, because to take that to it's logical conclusion everybody in this competition could be sued because we all used artwork which isn't our own.

It's a different thing with logos and artwork. A logo is a company's identity, and to place a logo on something it could be shown as claiming that the something is a product of that company. Artwork on the other hand is less about the identity of the brand and more about the content itself.

I wasn't sure about logos when I made mine, so I essentially used a cute image of Ayumu Nishizawa (Hayate the Combat Butler) and made my own logo for "Hamster Films".

I'm heart-broken here, but I had no choice and I had to remove the images.

I'll let you guys know how it goes, but I'm checking with Manga if we can reach a compromise to post these artwork again without any logos.

If that's cool, I'll unlock the thread again and I'll allow until Sunday for people to repost their entries.

I'm really sorry for deleting all entries.

@Conan-san - From what I could follow on twitter, you were just posting about your entry when Manga caught wind of that and thought you were a bootlegger.

@archaic sage - Thanks for the explanation on this whole logo issue, I guess it's living and learning, hopefully we manage to control the damage in time.

Ok, got a reply faster than I expected. The thread will be re-opened and the entries can be reposted. We have this two amended rules though, which we agreed upon to run this competition without any copyright issues and in light of all the legal aspects we were not aware of earlier, it's a fair compromise:

- All entries must not contain actual companies logos, any offending image will be deleted and the entrant will be disqualified. Failure to remove real company logos will result in disqualification.

We also decided to extend the time for the competition a little bit, so you can post your entry until Saturday by midnight.

Here's my modified entry:

ariacover2.jpg

I already had a fake company logo, but have also removed the Dolby Digital logo, replacing it with a completely fake "Digital Surround Sound" logo that I just faked up.

I kept the BBFC rating, DVD Region Code, and DVD Video logos on my coverart since while they are logos, they aren't company logos.

If you want me to remove those too, just let me know.

I'm not going to repost mine - not because I don't understand the problem, I perfectly accept Manga's (and any other company's) stance on this, but its kind of sucked the fun out of it for me.

Back