Serial Experiments Lain singles collection competition

chaos

The Boss
Design a poster, desktop wallpaper or box-art for a chance to win one of two copies of Serial Experiments Lain singles V1~4.
Here's another way to promote an anime you love. This competition will end on 25/11

Here's my entry, it's a DVD cover for Aria the Animation. I love this series, and if you like warm anime that leave you smiling, you should watch it!

Rather than being realistic, this is my ideal DVD cover. Cuts out all the crap:

I thought I'd make something I might actually use, and since CPM's Patlabor covers are awful it seemed like a good choice. I wanted to put some screencaps in the empty space between the two blocks of text on the rear, but my laptop drive isn't liking the R1 Patlabor DVDs right now...

Aion > Fudge > Olio80 > Durial666 > Ayarse > Mononoke - That's the rankings so far.

How do you guys make these? I don't want to - I own Lain and cba - but I'm interested enough to ask.

Photoshop + DVD inlay template. Go.

(I knew you wouldn't appreciate understated design. You find it pretentious that I used words instead of numbers as well, don't you?)

Aion said:
How do you guys make these? I don't want to - I own Lain and cba - but I'm interested enough to ask.

As ayase said, Photoshop. I have quite a bit of experience using it in recent times, what producing avatars and stitches but this competition gave me more to stretch my creative muscles with.

It's all about looking at a few DVDs on my shelf, spotting the ones which look best, and deciding why they look better than the others. Then it's all about finding a striking image for the series you've chosen, and making sure it wasn't used for an actual DVD cover. (I did check mine, most of the good Aria images are official art used for the DVD covers. This one was amazingly overlooked)

I'm a creative person by nature, but I suck at drawing things and haven't touched a musical instrument in years. Image manipulation is where I stretch my creative urges these days.

Fudce said:
ilmaestro said:
Fudce's fails for being unrealistically high quality. ^^;

Thank you... erm, I think?
Well, it was meant to be a compliment (seriously, I don't find many companies having the balls to go for full page wrap-around artwork, although I haven't seen the real Aria covers so maybe they do this anyway), rather than actually suggesting you should be disqualified. :p

Also, I can't quite work out what you (or other people) mean by a "stitch". Is it just a "big avatar" as it looks like? Or is there some other qualifying criteria?

Stitches are made by combining multiple screenshots taken from an episode where the 'camera' pans either up or down a character, and turning the multiple images into one big image with the whole character, or at least more of the character than was on screen at any one time...

For example (shrunk down, the full sized image is 1280 pixels wide and 1373 pixels tall. The screen size was 1280x720)
92qfeuille1ep1s.jpg

My go

Though i don't think i stand a chance against the competition here is my go at a DVD box set cover and inner cover. For usage with the ADV style clear cases holding 4 Blue Ray Discs.

The outer case

The inner case images

Back