Sentai Filmworks Announce Dub For Clannad After Story

Objection to dubs on those grounds is fair enough, even if it's not a huge amount of cash we're talking about. Though as we've seen with Sentai's sub-only releases, the absence of a dub doesn't necessarily mean tighter quality control.

Indeed, complaining about a dub if you actually watch them is fine with me. But I'd wager that many of the people who shout and scream about [insert popular show] receiving a dub are unlikely to buy the official release and certainly never have any intention of listening to the English track.

And in the case of Clannad, there's already cheap sub-only sets out there. Everyone's a winnah.

I agree with the call for more extras instead of dubs - most Sentai & Funi releases have textless OP & ED plus trailers and not much else.

Some of the best releases are from Nozomi Entertainment who only do sub releases.

fabricatedlunatic said:
But I'd wager that many of the people who shout and scream about [insert popular show] receiving a dub are unlikely to buy the official release and certainly never have any intention of listening to the English track.
I'd wager you're right, at least to an extent. I don't see the point in complaning about any one specific dub, if you were never going to watch it. People still will though, heh.

fabricatedlunatic said:
And in the case of Clannad, there's already cheap sub-only sets out there. Everyone's a winnah.
The sub only is more expensive in that case, as it's two sets whereas the hybrid is one.
I have them anyway, they have errors in the subs, and the video for the OVA ep (which used the TV version for it, yes realy the TV broadcast vesion for the OVA).

I not going to run down who was better at acting in Clannad compared to others, because there was some that actually fit *cough*GregAyres*cough*. The shows a failure to the VN any how so there's not much point making it to fancy. I will say this, Sentai want quite a bit a cash for there hybrids.
Kanon though I didn't find a problem with, though people did say that Britt couldn't really do the "~Uguu" properly. The "~Uguu" is not a force to be tampered with

mangaman74 said:
Some of the best releases are from Nozomi Entertainment who only do sub releases.

I think you need to re-read through their catalogue

Sub-only fans have blatantly been subsidising non-profitable dubs for a *long* time...
I'm willing to accept that dubs are expensive to produce (and in the UK, expensive to release because of the BBFC) and often unprofitable. But I think it's erroneous to claim that sub only fans have been subsidising dubs. How did they buy sub only releases when none were released by any of the major players until very recently?

Otaku-san said:
I think you need to re-read through their catalogue
You only need to read as far as Dirty Pair and it blows everyone else's catalogue out of the water. They are awesomely awesome quality as well. Beautiful levels of detail. Upscales flawlessly. Interlacing barely noticeable. The best release of an 80s Anime I've seen outside of the Bubblegum Crisis BDs. Sweet tears of joy.

Granted some of the older Nozomi shows have English language tracks as well, but how many of their newer releases (excluding re-releases) have them now?

Emma, Aria (all three series), Dirty Pair TV, Rental Magica - None of these have English dub tracks

ayase said:
Sub-only fans have blatantly been subsidising non-profitable dubs for a *long* time...
I'm willing to accept that dubs are expensive to produce (and in the UK, expensive to release because of the BBFC) and often unprofitable. But I think it's erroneous to claim that sub only fans have been subsidising dubs. How did they buy sub only releases when none were released by any of the major players until very recently?
Exactly, sub only fans have been forced to buy hybrid releases. Which will mean our money went towards the dub as well.
How is that hard to understand.

The problem with acting Ayu isn't just the fact that the English seiyuu will suck in comparison to Horie Yui; I need to hear that entire CD of just the different ways of saying uguu.
It's the fact she speaks male, which turns up as a plot point too often to ignore, and isn't easy to do an English equivalent to. You have to voice her so she sounds gender ambiguous, in the English she sounds too female.

Reaper gI said:
Exactly, sub only fans have been forced to buy hybrid releases. Which will mean our money went towards the dub as well.

Exactly, dub only fans have been forced to buy hybrid releases. Which will mean our money went towards the sub as well.

You've also forgotten how much hassle companies get due to reverse importation fears because they include Japanese audio.

Okay, so sub fans help finance dubs by having to buy hybrid releases. But it's not like they subsidise dubs by virtue of being sub fans, is it?

Last time I saw any figures, most native English speakers who watch anime watch it dubbed. So it's not as if the vast majority are paying for dubs only enjoyed by a minority.

ayase said:
Okay, so sub fans help finance dubs by having to buy hybrid releases. But it's not like they subsidise dubs by virtue of being sub fans, is it?

Last time I saw any figures, most native English speakers who watch anime watch it dubbed. So it's not as if the vast majority are paying for dubs only enjoyed by a minority.
Aren't most lawful views of dub only versions anyway. TV broadcast and cinema screenings.

Remeber current numbers won't yet include things like CR, or Geneon and ADV packing up.

Stuart-says-yes said:
Why wouldn't they? I mean that was at least a year a go those things happened and the people who use crunchy roll were most likely already people who watched subs anyway. Theres a lot of good Dub VA's anyway, so what isn't there to like about Dubs unless you still live in the 1990's.

Anyway Dubs> Subs,
You think the numbers would be that recent, the last financial data is a few years old I assume demographics is as well. I also asume it's counting things you wouldn't think of as anime, and certainly aren't being watched by anime fans. (4kids TV shows, etc.)

I want a translation, not a butchery of the series' audio.
Besides loss of detail, due to trying to synch to video, dropping honourifics etc. They do stuff like remix the audio, switching BGM and voice tracks over is fairly normal (the music is the main audio, not the voice).

I haven't watched a dub by choice ever, I watch subtitled in original language, same as I do any other foreign film. Anime fans seem to be the only group that has any support for dubbing in prefernce to original audio.

Jiindama said:
Reaper gI said:

Exactly, dub only fans have been forced to buy hybrid releases. Which will mean our money went towards the sub as well.
How is that hard to understand
Nnnnngggggghhhhh, please tell me that you secretly know how stupid this sounds, and that you were doing it for some sort of reverse-trolling purposes.

I mean, really, seriously, are you posting it with any conviction whatsoever past the point of "hahahaha, look what happens if I turn it around... now it makes no sense at all!" Dub fans *do not buy enough anime to make dubs profitable across the board* this is something based in fact, and evidenced by the decline in the number of dubs being produced. Recording a dub track costs a whole ****-ton more than producing a subbed version. Something is "subsidised" when it is being kept going by payments from people who don't really "want to" or "shouldn't" be paying for it. "Your" (dub fans) money has gone towards dubs... and still wasn't enough to cover them, in the long run.

ayase said:

These "figures" have never been based on a level playing field, not from back when companies used to charge more for sub-only VHS copies (madness beyond all insanity) and make dubs vastly more available due to video rental stores etc, and not now with the lack of reliability of any such figures in this day and age of streaming and excessive fansubbing.

It is *not an arguable point* that dubs cost more money to produce than subbed versions and it is *not an arguable point* that companies cut dubs to save money, but don't look to cut sub tracks and only produce dubs for the same money saving reasons.

Sure, you can continue to add two and two together and make an omelette, or you can draw the sensible conclusions from these facts.

Like Reaper said, it is an anomally that dubs became the de facto way to produce anime in the first place - all stemming from a belief that the origins of the shows needed to be covered up, that you had to edit together and rewrite three separate shows into one to make good TV, that there was a long-term future in anime on TV... all massive fallacies, without exception, and ultimately something that has both served to get the Western anime industry going, and helped to cripple it as the face of the market has predictably moved on more quickly that people were reacting to it.

--

Edited to make a couple of comments sound less insulting... I'm too nice to people sometimes, I really am. Also bear in mind that I am largely arguing this from a neutral point of view - the success, failure, relevance or importance of dubs in the anime industry is something I feel a fair amount of distance from since US/UK releases make up only a small fraction of the money I spend on anime.

That said, the only time I tried to watch a dub in the last few years (I had been told that Gundam Unicorn was pretty well dubbed, so thought I'd see how they gone about portraying the characters) my ears started bleeding after a couple of minutes, so maybe it is a little personal too, haha.

I know it sounds stupid but so is the original argument.

Do you really think that the Japanese companies would allow the standard sales price in the UK/US to drop even more?
They worry enough about reverse importation. You will not see a drop in price if the entirety of UK/US released anime did not have dubs.

You in the end would see yourself paying exactly the same if things suddenly went sub-only. The companies would have a higher profit per volume, but would see less sales as dub only fans do exist.

Also, while not all dubs are proftiable, those that are help fund the licensing of series with less marketability. It's my opinion that without dubs there wouldn't be the number of English language releases that there are, and in the case of the UK there may not have been much of a market at all.

Jiindama said:
You've also forgotten how much hassle companies get due to reverse importation fears because they include Japanese audio.
Have you also forgotten that dubs have higher licensing costs than using Japanese audio.
Dub only still costs more than sub only!
Making it available to a wider audience means Japan can charge more for distro licenece. Also it's hard to negociate, as your making an extensive change to the series, and all the original staff have rights to complain about that.

You still have to pay everyone who did the Japanese dub to English dub it..

I don't mind dub, however from a business point of view companies make more profit from having a dub release on the side.

while back on the topic, this doesn't effect the UK right? I haven't seen anyone licensed anything by sentai (still eagerly waiting for Canaan to be released)

I'll wait it out until it gets licensed in the uk, whether it has dubbed or not doesn't bother be, if I like the dub I will watch it in dub if I don't then I'll watch it in jap sub.

link2link8 said:
I don't mind dub, however from a business point of view companies make more profit from having a dub release on the side.

while back on the topic, this doesn't effect the UK right? I haven't seen anyone licensed anything by sentai (still eagerly waiting for Canaan to be released)

I'll wait it out until it gets licensed in the uk, whether it has dubbed or not doesn't bother be, if I like the dub I will watch it in dub if I don't then I'll watch it in jap sub.
Highschool of the Dead got picked up by Manga, MVM picked up Mahoromatic season 2.

With a dub, the potential profit is greater (if the show is a hit and sells well) but the potential loss is astronomical (if the show fails to sell). ADV/Sentai has always been very positive about dubs so the fact that they are playing it safe and only dubbing the shows that are selling is a sign that things are really hard at the moment. Funimation dub everything, but on the flipside they won't license anything they don't think will sell (and will happily drop things between seasons if the sales slow down) so dubs can make it harder for a sub-fan to get the series they like.

Personally, I like the idea of everything being dubbed for the sake of people who struggle with subtitles for whatever reason, but I will never watch a subbed anime and I never buy dub-only, ever, for any reason. I get enough pain from badly-dubbed games when I want to play them with my friends :/

I don't mind paying a bit extra for a hybrid release if that's the only [cheap] way to get things, but I have to say I'm enjoying the cheaper, speedier sub-only releases that are happening for unpopular shows lately, from an entirely selfish perspective. It's really depressing when a series gets dropped or a company folds because of too much optimism with dubs. I hope they find a happy medium at some point and sales perk up so that the majority are satisfied. It's maddening when good shows are dropped partway through release because the company hasn't selected a realistic release format.

R

Back