Sentai Filmworks Announce Dub For Clannad After Story

coreydbz

Brigade Leader
From: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... anime-film
David Williams of the North American anime distributor Sentai Filmworks confirmed on the AnimeOnDVD forums that his company will release the Clannad anime film with English dubbing and subtitles next March. Sentai Filmworks will also dub the Clannad After Story series for release next April. For people who already purchased the series in its subtitled form, Sentai Filmworks will offer an exchange program. The company originally made these announcements at Izumicon this weekend.
I LOVE SENTAI FILMWORKS!!. After the recent and awesome news of 'Needless' getting licensed with a dub, Sentai announce the long awaited dub of Clannad After Story, I just recently purchased the first season after watching Kannon and Air, and immediatly after watching it i wanted season 2. My prayers have been answered, there IS an Anime God. :D

Maxon said:
Yay for another atrocious dub.
They sell units, you know. Especially within the market for which they are primarily created — the consumers therein simply dote on not having to read.

[/Things I can't say on ANN]

Zin5ki said:
Maxon said:
They sell units, you know. Especially within the market for which they are primarily created — the consumers therein simply dote on not having to read.

Obviously not enough units to make it profitable in general. Goooooo dub fans!

Zin5ki said:
Maxon said:

I'm not talking about dubs in general. I'm talking about the shoddy dubs for Clannad.

I dont mind subtitled releases because a subbed release is better than no release at all, but as long as the script isnt drastically changed and the acting can portray the emotions of the original japanese actors i usually go for the dub so i can fully imerse myself into the wonderful animation.
I'm not talking about dubs in general. I'm talking about the shoddy dubs for Clannad.
What didnt you like about the dub for Clannad, if you dont mind me asking?

coreydbz said:
What didnt you like about the dub for Clannad, if you dont mind me asking?
Not a lot. I just hate how unsuited the voices are for everyone. They either sound like they're in their mid-30's, uninterested or trying too hard to act.

I'm actually pretty angry at Sentai for putting together such a sloppy dub. There's no excuse for making something so sub-standard these days. I'm even conflicted about buying the DVDs because that's pretty much rewarding them for producing this rubbish.

NOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Ugh. After the terrible dub of the original Clannad, now they want to do After Story! WTF!!?!??!?!?!?!

Okay seriously, I think the only persons voice who I could stand was Nagisa's and kind of Tomoyo's.
Okazaki's was UGHHHHHH there was no emotion whatsoever! And what the hell did they do to Sunohara? I know he's an idiot but theres no excuse to give him the squeekiest voice imaginable! If the screw on Ushio, I'mma be angry :mad:

HOPEFULLY They'll do what they did with Air Gear and make a GOOD dub. Because so far Air Gear is the only anime to be better as a dub than a sub.

I accepted long ago that no American studio knows how to dub moe characters well. Don't think I've heard one that doesn't get at least one characters personality totaly wrong.

I can't speak for Clannad but I do like ADV's Kanon dub. The girls aren't so ear-piercingly squeaky in English.

Anyway, I don't really understand why people get so uptight about dubs (not talking about here specifically, but the wider interweb). I mean, it's not like anybody is forced to listen to them.

fabricatedlunatic said:
I can't speak for Clannad but I do like ADV's Kanon dub. The girls aren't so ear-piercingly squeaky in English.

Anyway, I don't really understand why people get so uptight about dubs (not talking about here specifically, but the wider interweb). I mean, it's not like anybody is forced to listen to them.
We are made to pay for them though!!!

Kanon's dub was so bad I can't get through the trailer. They got Ayu wrong in her most important scene (the intro), it's over acted and totaly out of charcter for who's saying it a 8-10 year old girl (who sounds like a boy!!), esentialy on her deathbed. It lost the ambiguity as to which character was saying it.
I shouldn't need to spoiler the trailer, they did something very wrong.

Almost no squeaky characters in it originaly:
Nayuki- sleepy
Mai- quiet
Shiori- sickly
Makoto- a bit squeaky
Ayu- boy
Kaori -normal?
Sayuri- slightly chirpy
Akio- normal

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaper gI said:
fabricatedlunatic said:
I don't really understand why people get so uptight about dubs (not talking about here specifically, but the wider interweb). I mean, it's not like anybody is forced to listen to them.
We are made to pay for them though!!!
Yeah 'cause those hybrid audio DVDs cost so much more than sub only ones, as do UK / US releases compared to Japanese ones.

No, wait...

fabricatedlunatic said:
Could say the same thing about anime (or anything, really) that people don't like...

ayase said:
Yeah 'cause those hybrid audio DVDs cost so much more than sub only ones, as do UK / US releases compared to Japanese ones.

No, wait...
Hybrid does cost more than sub only, it's 20-30% ($10/ release) more.
I'd rather that went on extras or quality contol than dubbing.
I prefer that the subs be spelled corectly, the disk play fine on a wide asortment of players and the OP and ED to be the same as the Japanese release (audio and video (incl. text)) to it having (often bad) English audio.

Sub-only fans have blatantly been subsidising non-profitable dubs for a *long* time, otherwise you wouldn't have seen the changes in releases so much over the last few years.

Back