Satoshi Kon has passed away

Glad they talked anout magnetic rose, it's a great piece and IMO the only reason to bother watching memories, stink bomb was kinda stupid and drawn out, while cannon fodder was painful to watch because of the animation style being so offensively ugly to my eyes.

Wow I didnt know Satoshi Kon also worked on Roujin Z, I really enjoyed that film.

Kon has really created and participated in making some real classic's of the anime genre, there is really no one else in the industry even close to pushing the boundaries of the medium as he was doing.

Only just found this out now, after checking his wiki.

I'm genuinely saddened, really, this ******* sucks man. Quite possibly the greatest anime director and innovator behind Miyazaki, has been taken away from us.

God damnit. :x

Why not that ******** who created Lucky Star? ****.

Time to watch Perfect Blue and mourn.

あんたの寝るてが凄いいます、先生。

Got Satoshi Kon the Illusionist yesterday. Some stuff is almost prophetically sad =/ like he's talking how he used to drink heavily when he worked on manga and "thank god it didn't affect my health"... =( Oh if only Mr. Kon, if only.

He seems like such a wonderfully humble man too. Very self-depricating and some of the things he says of his work and of life is just so great.

Yeah I got that book yesterday too. I was close to tears when I read the little quote at the end of the book from Kon in 2008 when he say's something along the lines of "In someways I think I should just retire now or die peacefully, it would be better for my reputation, but there are still so many more things I have to do"

He has still left us with an unforgetable and flawless body of work, that years from now will remain as joyous to watch as they were the first time.

Kurogane said:
The star that shines twice as brightly, will burn out twice as fast.
And you have burned so very, very brightly, Kon.

He saw things you people wouldn't believe, and was dignified when it was his time to die. It's too bad he won't live, but then again who does?

(as inappropriate as pop-culture referencing is in this thread, I'm afraid it had to be done)

ayase said:
Kurogane said:
The star that shines twice as brightly, will burn out twice as fast.
And you have burned so very, very brightly, Kon.

He saw things you people wouldn't believe, and was dignified when it was his time to die. It's too bad he won't live, but then again who does?

(as inappropriate as pop-culture referencing is in this thread, I'm afraid it had to be done)

I saw Blade Runner for the first time the other day. Have to say I didn't much care for it =/

Jayme said:
Sparrowsabre7 said:
I saw Blade Runner for the first time the other day. Have to say I didn't much care for it =/
ilmaestro said:
What version did you watch?

I think it was the original? Whichever one is on blu ray (edit: the final cut apparently) . I can see why people would like it, I just didn't. It didn't seem to really go anywhere to my mind, maybe I'm missing something about it. Plus Harrison Ford's character was in it WAY less than I'd expected. The only thing I really took away from it was that Rutger Hauer would've made a cool Wesker in his day.

edit: Btw: I'm not trying to be controversial, it could well be I just didn't GET it or that the themes went over my head. Or it could be overhyping, which often leads me to be disappointed. I don't deny it was well made and the atmosphere was claustrophobically wonderful and the acting was also great.

I appreciate its technical brilliance if nothing else, but perhaps part of it is that I've seen so many films building on the template of Blade Runner that it's numbed me to the original. I found a similar thing reading Lovecraft, a lot of the tales had predictable endings because of so many copycats over the years.

I remember seeing a clip of Blade Runner back in something like 1983 when it came out on video when my brother rented it. I was only 2 or 3 at the time and the grandiose opening section has stuck with me ever since.

Seeing that as a child when special effects and whatnot were still hammy was awe inspiring.

Also had anybody else got the weirdo version of Paranoia Agent on DVD? What I mean is the episode with the suicide group. That episode was cut for UK release (something like 1 minute twenty seconds). Yet I have the official UK release and it’s completely uncut. Must have slipped through or something.

Also had anybody else got the weirdo version of Paranoia Agent on DVD? What I mean is the episode with the suicide group. That episode was cut for UK release (something like 1 minute twenty seconds). Yet I have the official UK release and it’s completely uncut. Must have slipped through or something.

Me! I remember thinking that it seemed like the offending scene was still there but I've never been able to confirm that fact until now. I think maybe we got ones from the 1st pressing and maybe the later ones had the snip? Would have to ask someone who bought the rerelease boxset

christor said:

Me! I remember thinking that it seemed like the offending scene was still there but I've never been able to confirm that fact until now. I think maybe we got ones from the 1st pressing and maybe the later ones had the snip? Would have to ask someone who bought the rerelease boxset

Ask me! The recent brick set has it cut, but yes this confused the ever-living **** out of me because when I rented it from lovefilm it had the scene. If it weren't for the fact that lovefilm has hard to remove stickers on their discs I totally would've swapped them.

Back