Ruroni Kenshin Returns

New Rurouni Kenshin anime greenlit

From ANN

The June issue of Shueisha's Jump Square magazine is announcing on Thursday that production on a new Rurouni Kenshin anime project has been green-lit. More information will be provided in future issues of Jump Square.

The magazine also noted that the Blu-ray Disc versions of the two Rurouni Kenshin original video anime (OVA) projects and the Rurouni Kenshin: Ishin Shishi no Chinkonka [Requiem] film will ship between August 24 and October 26. A compilation CD will ship on July 27. Rurouni Kenshin, Meiji Kenkaku Romantan Saisen, a new game for the Sony PSP system, already shipped last month.

Nobuhiro Watsuki's original 1994-1999 samurai manga in Shueisha's Weekly Shonen Jump inspired a television anime series that is celebrating its 15th anniversary this year. Viz Media published the manga in North America, and Media Blasters' AnimeWorks label released the television anime. ADV Films released the two OVA projects and the film under the licenser's prescribed title Samurai X.

Since he ended the Rurouni Kenshin manga, Watsuki drew Gun Blaze West and Buso Renkin. His current title, Embalming - The Another Tale of Frankenstein, has been running in Jump Square since the magazine's inaugural issue in 2007.

MY RESPONSE
9464dacab0762adf1303161607.jpeg

Replace Ramen with Rurouni Anime

News has emerged that production on a new Ruroni Kenshin anime project has been green-lit.
<a title="RRKenshin by Mercury Rex, on Flickr" href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/genkinahito/5637669617/"></a>
&nbsp;
Synopsis
The story takes place during the early Meiji era and tells the story of a wanderer named Himura Kenshin who was once an elite assassin during the final years of the Edo period as the Tokugawa shogunate came to an end. Walking away from a life of violence he now offers protection to those in need in order to atone for his actions. His travels lead him to meet various characters including new friends and enemies from his past.
Based on the manga by Nobuhiro Watsuki (Buso Renkin), this chanbara anime is a well-respected story that was originally turned into an anime between 1996 and 1998.
Anime News Network reported the news after it came to light in the June issue of Shueisha&rsquo;s Jump Square magazine where it was also announced that the Blu-ray Disc versions of the two Ruroni Kenshin original video anime prkects and the 1997 film, Ruroni Kenshin: Ishin Shishi no Chinkonka will be released between the 24th of August and the 26th of October. Furthermore, there will be a release of a compilation CD on the 27th of July.
<a href="http://www.animenewsnetwork.co.uk/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=73">Source</a>

Merged it backwards so your news story link still works :)

If they bring Kenshin back as another filler arc I will cry. Otherwise, I will buy it. This was my first R2J DVD import back in the day when they came in CD-sized cases (I originally imported it on VHS).

R

I loved the two OAV's (the darker ones) but never even bothered with the series as I heard it was left incomplete. I would defo check this one out though.

MetalGearDesmond said:
I've only seen bits and pieces of this series, but ive heard the anime didn't cover the whole Manga, was a substantial amount not animated?
The entire Jinchu arc wasn't animated, although half of it was flashbacks which make up the Trust & Betrayal OAVs (the ones I assume that vashdaman is on about)

memorium said:
MetalGearDesmond said:
I've only seen bits and pieces of this series, but ive heard the anime didn't cover the whole Manga, was a substantial amount not animated?
The entire Jinchu arc wasn't animated, although half of it was flashbacks which make up the Trust & Betrayal OAVs (the ones I assume that vashdaman is on about)

Also some of the scenes from the last Rurouni Kenshin OVA:Reflection were based on events from the last Manga arc.

I have got both the Anime & Manga series. While its good series, I feel it aren't a great series. Great in its day, just over taken by other shonen works that came after it. I also found the last arc was a lot weaker than previous arc. The last arc had good Premise but they just drag it out far longer than needed. If they did animated the last arc, I think it would probably better suit a film or a short ova series and not full blown series.

Jaymii said:
I watched a bit of the first series, and then just watched the OVAs. They are worth watching -- leave the rest. :p

If you liked the OVAs, I really recommend giving the Kyoto Arc (second series) a try. The first series is really just an introduction to the characters and some filler. From the first episode of the Kyoto arc you notice a real change of pace and tone. On a par with the OVAs really and one of the most beloved anime series out there (and with good reason!).

Back