ROW, ROW, FIGHT THE POWAH!!! Gurren Lagann complete simulwatch

Episode 2

I'm going to try and comment based on my thoughts as per my first watch to make it easier to avoid spoiler rambling.

My highlight:
- do you know how to use a gun?
-* snatching gun * : WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK I AM?
* proceeds to bash gunman with the butt of the gun *

The humour in this episode was great for me, including the above, the gunman stretching whilst taunting the village, the trade mark Kamina attacks such as "WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK I AM KICK!!!" amongst others.

Really liked the brotherly love between Simon and Kamina nicely demonstrated whist they snoozed after the exhaustion.

Also really liked how Kamina's character was grounded already in episode 2. Not one to outwardly demonstrate any weakness, he froze in the gunmen and showed a very human fear on observing the skeletal remains, which had added significance at the end of the episode. The pace of this series is breakneck, with the discovery of Kamina's father. I was shocked as I had assumed the very first scene in the series involved Kamina's father in his past, and this was not at all how I therefore had expected the "reunion". Will this break Kamina's spirit? WHO THE HELL.... Okay, okay I'll stop, promise!

Still haven't forgotten your Franxx recommendation, @Neil.T ! Keeping my eyes open for a sweet deal on that. I remember talking with you about the designer being the same from Star Driver and I loved the designs in that, so chances are I'll appreciate the ones in Franxx too.

Uuuuunless they go too far on the ridiculous scale ahah. But taking Takuto's mecha as an example, I'm fine with the cavalier hat because it's only a detail.

In Lagann they all feel too cartoony, but they are, as you say, iconic. For me just not in a very good way lol. In Lagann's defense, things get much better later on and I always had a soft spot for the star-like mecha.

In Lagann they all feel too cartoony, but they are, as you say, iconic.
I would have said the same about the Franxx mecha designs myself, as their cartoonish element I initially found a bit silly.

Nonetheless for me they were iconic in having female forms (I didn't realise then that had been done before, by the same designer I think in Star Driver?? as @Neil.T pointed out). I took that as another part of the statements the series started making regarding gender politics, but then didn't quite develop.

Regardless, whether one likes the mecha designs or not, there is a lot more to that series so I too would add a strong recommendation to watch. I think the two parts do tend to go on sale intermittently so hopefully shouldn't be too difficult to nab. Maybe a candidate for simulwatch in mecha march '22?!

Watched Episode 2.

Getting to see more of the supporting cast beginning to appear, especially Leeron (fantasy live action casting: Julian Clary - they are both very good at polishing things that are hard and stiff). However, the escalations in this episode are gripping.

The scenes where we see the young Kamina with his father half-way through the episode, which eventually ends with Kamina uncovering his father's grave, is a great ending to the episode.

I also echo @Geriatric hedgehog and his remarks about Kamina, with his comic scenes about not being able to use a gun (stick with the sword mate). While there is talk about the brotherly love, this episode did feel more focused on Kamina, but we will get more of the brotherly combos when we to tomorrow's episode.

Episode 2
I wasn't planning to participate in this simulwatch, and only changed my mind at the last minute. Much as I love this show, I'm not sure I have a whole lot to say about it on an episode-by-episode basis. It wears its themes on its sleeve, and most conflicts are resolved by shoving a drill into them, so it's kind of hard to delve for anything that isn't shoved in your face during the episode.

That said, this episode is a good reminder of what an oddity GL is among mech shows. Standard Operating Procedure in the genre is to keep the robots on-model at all costs to maintain the impression of it being a machine, but GL kicks that idea to the curb, instead warping and stretching them to match the dynamic energy of the human/beastmen characters. At the same time it maintains a sense of them as machines by showing the panels and cables tearing apart as they break.

Episode 2. Rewatcher.

Whilst I don't think GL pretends to have a really deep world, I do think the world building in the show is good.

After the action packed first part of the episode, and before the action packed last part, the slower middle segments really serve to give a glimpse into how the Litner settlement works day to day.

During the fighting I liked that the battles weren't just the mecha vs mecha, and the other humans were helping out as ground forces using hit and run tactics.

My favourite part of the episode I think was when Kamina swapped into the Gurren mecha, just casually opened it up and said they were swapping places! 🤣

Last edited:
Episode 2
The way Kamina wills his own legend into being via little more than narrating his own self-confidence is great. An inspiration to us all.

A very action packed episode this one, so as others have already said it's a bit difficult to find a lot to say about it other than that the action was enjoyable and engaging, another bit of praise I'd have for the show over over other series' where long action scenes have a tendency to bore me. The contrast in the environments and colours in the above-ground world here from those of the below-ground world of the first episode though is lovely, The show really does have not just excellent design work but a great colour palette as well. Another place that fantastic use of colour and design shows up is the scene with Kamina in the cockpit as he struggles to get Lagann to function. I'm not entirely sure where the use of different, high contrast colouration of characters during tense moments originated (I want to say Ideon, but it may even predate that, it's certainly been a mecha show trope for a very long time) but here, like everything with Lagann, it is taken to its extreme and it looks amazing.

Nonetheless for me they were iconic in having female forms (I didn't realise then that had been done before, by the same designer I think in Star Driver?? as @Neil.T pointed out)
Anyone feel free to corect me if I'm wrong (I'd very much like to know) but I believe the first female form giant robot was Mazinger Z's Aphrodite A back in the early '70s. Bless Go Nagai.

Still haven't forgotten your Franxx recommendation, @Neil.T ! Keeping my eyes open for a sweet deal on that.
Likewise. I've not seen it yet either, I regret not buying it a while back when each part was around the £15 mark. Maybe that's another one to add to the already stupidly long simulwatch list?

Strap in: it's time for a catch-up.

this watching one episode a day is going to be incredibly painful (I'm watching the next one now but technically it's due now anyway), so maybe can we do 2 episodes a day with a break every 4 days or something to help catch up and all? Pretty please??
It really is painful, isn't it? 😅

Well, it's really not up to me, dude: it's up to the collective will of the simulwatchers. I know that @D1tchd1gger asked for some breaks in the schedule as it is, though, so...

Still haven't forgotten your Franxx recommendation
Maybe that's another one to add to the already stupidly long simulwatch list?
I've duly added it to that list in the simulwatch planning thread. 👍

I remember talking with you about the designer being the same from Star Driver and I loved the designs in that
Yeah, I remember, man. In the Eva thread a little while back. 😀

I like the spindly design of the Tauburn as well. I actually sought out and watched the first episode of Star Driver recently; the design work was a lot better than the writing, I thought, but I'm still interested in seeing the rest, if only to see more of the robot in action.

The series is locked behind a paywall on Funimation, but I'm looking at taking out a free trial when a good opportunity arises and watching it all.

But taking Takuto's mecha as an example, I'm fine with the cavalier hat because it's only a detail.
Yeah, Shigeto Koyama seems to like giving his robots hats! 😆

He did it with FranXX as well, and also in Captain Earth by Studio Bones. I haven't seen that one, but I've read little but bad things about it. The robot design is great again, though, so Koyama definitely did his bit well.

Episode 2

As for today's episode, well... like I say, I watched it straight after episode 1 the other day and still wanted more. One of the little details that I really enjoyed was that rather than the graphic that pops up on the monitors in the cockpit of the highjacked Gunmen being a generic representation of a human being, it's specifically Kamina! 😆👍
I love that.

Well, it's really not up to me, dude: it's up to the collective will of the simulwatchers. I know that @D1tchd1gger asked for some breaks in the schedule as it is, though, so...
Don't mind me. I do these things as and when. I was busy yesterday with work and stuff and today I'm mostly catching up with the end of the Winter season. So will watch 3 tomorrow and then scroll through people's thoughts. I mean as far as I remember it, it isn't the heaviest of show concerning subtext.

So will watch 3 tomorrow and then scroll through people's thoughts. I mean as far as I remember it, it isn't the heaviest of show concerning subtext.

I genuinely think the best simulwatches will be the ones that contain more complex structures, whether it's mystery, or world-building elements, or plot lines to explore. The best ones will be the ones where more people haven't watched them than have I think.

Saying that, I like the nice relaxed pace of this one, as I don't need to think too much about what to write each day :)

The Lustrous one we did before this was really good and I am hyped for a season 2 still!

Episode 2
This episode sets up the gunmen nicely, Kamina keeps on being his enigmatic self and I think he becomes more likeable as these episodes go along. @Neil.T I hadn’t noticed that little detail you mentioned on previous watches - nice spot!

Cool robot action in today's episode~ We also get an insight into the gunmen and their robots.. Not much to add as quite a bit has already been said by you guys.. maybe I should write my posts earlier in the day 😶.. Still can't get over how much of ab absolute banger the OP is..

@ayase I'm game for Franxx, even if I have no idea how good it is! But I think by the time we come to it on the list, at least we'll have our copies lol

@Neil.T Star Driver felt extremely formulaic, but now I'm not even sure I finished it... Still, if you get the free trial, it's always worth checking out, even if only out of curiosity. I think Shinichiro Watanabe directed the OP sequence IIRC, and the music is great. One of my favorite ops. (I feel like I'm repeating myself with this piece of trivia, if it is the case, I'm sorry)

Yeah, about Captain Earth, me too, but it just shows how much I care about mecha designs because I always wanted to give that show a try just based on the mecha design!

Episode 2 of always wearing your emotions on your sleeve, no matter the situation🔥

Again, we see Kamina invested in Simon and his growth and what a great friend and influence he is to our little digger. It was cool to see that Simon already has plenty of fighting spirit in him, though! Vash the stampede messing with Kamina was great, loved the wavy hand animation.

I found it cool that little Kamina reminded me of Simon, and Kamina's dad reminded of another character we see at the ending of the series.

Still can't get over how much of ab absolute banger the OP is..
It also came up in Saekano for me recently.
That is definitely a tune! I'm always fondly reminded of k-on with school band animes - don't know about Saekano, any good?

Yeah this simulwatch will definitely be easier going than the LotL one given exactly as everyone mentioned, GL wearing it's heart on its sleeve and not having deep subtext or symbolism. But the story is still very interesting with Simon's growth over the series and so much being packed in the two cours, it really is quite an achievement to maintain the high standards throughout. Also the simulwatch is a great excuse to re-watch and put in lots of exclamation marks & comments in BOLD!!!!

Episode 3

Gurren acquires some groovy shades, Simon becomes the third wheel, Kamina learns how to use a gun, Virral warns Kamina about his never-back-down attitude, hellooooo Gurren Lagann, Kamina heeds Simon's warning and backs down, Yoko insightfully apologises for doubting Shinji Simon and Team Gurren set off for the viper's nest.

20210328_004512.jpg

20210328_005452.jpg

Back